Pilot Vanishing Point

Koyote

Of course this is simply my opinion, but I've had both the faceted version and the new version. I don't use either because the clicking was too loud.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Koyote

• prolixindec

• hari317

• nightwing

I got a few stares during a recent interview when I clicked and unclicked after each question to keep the nib from drying out...

Click click click click click click BOOM!

I'm glad they didn't use a VP for that, because the destruction of a fountain pen would make me sad.

Huh. I've never really given much thought to this. The VP has been on my wish list for a while, and it would be bad if I have to keep clicking in lecture halls.

I can open a Vanishing Point with one hand. My Dialog 3 is slightly iffy when I open it with one hand. Is the Fermo any better or do you need two hands? In my mind, the ability to click with one hand is a worthwhile tradeoff for the extra sound.

I agree, the Pilot VP is totally a one-handed pen. And my advice is not to worry about the sound. As I said above, I use mine shamelessly whether in meetings, lectures, or quiet waiting rooms, and it's not any louder than the other background noises of people slurping coffee, shuffling paper, coughing, rustling in bags, and shifting in their seats. I like it so much that my VP has become my standard carry.

Edited by prolixindec

柯伦伟 Wei Kelun

This is a very interesting question and owning many VPs and a decibel meter from when I used to do home theater work I thought it would be interesting to see what happens after a few measurements. Here is what I found out after averaging several measurements a piece:

Current VP (metal body) - 64dB

Decimo - 63dB

Faceted VP - 59dB

Gold plated and plastic VP (http://carmenriverapens.com/Vanishing_Point_images/64AugRet.htm) - 60dB

Chrome and colored plastic VP (http://carmenriverapens.com/Vanishing_Point_images/64OctRet.htm) - 67dB

I had always though that the faceted VP was the quietest of all and the numbers agree. I was surprised that the chrome and plastic VP was the loudest of the group. For comparison's sake each of my 2 jotters came in at 63dB. I hope that this data is useful in deciding whether or not to purchase one. They are one of my favorites and I have yet to encounter one situation when the clicking noise was an issue.

http://i.imgur.com/Bftqofd.png

I can open a Vanishing Point with one hand. My Dialog 3 is slightly iffy when I open it with one hand. Is the Fermo any better or do you need two hands? In my mind, the ability to click with one hand is a worthwhile tradeoff for the extra sound.

You will need two hands to extend the Fermo, but you can retract it with one hand by twisting the knob just a little. The mechanism is very sophisticated, it is like a spring loaded bayonet.

I pull the Fermo out of my shirt pocket with my left hand, use my right hand to rotate the knob and slide the pen into writing position of my right hand in one motion.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have four of these, two faceted, one decimal and one black and gold. All click loudly. The oldest one does tend to dry out between uses but it probably just needs a thorough cleaning.

All the best, Ingrid

The VP sounds like a clicky pen. Here's a video; camera on tripod about 12" from desktop. Link to Vimeo:

Wow. That answers my question perfectly. Thanks so much.

While I don't like pens that go 'click,' I did order a new VP (found it for $106 on Amazon) and will give it a try. It should at least be handy for jotting notes around the office.

Thanks, everyone!

I hope you like your pen, I have two, (and I am thinking of getting a third, Gunmetal and black... :puddle: ) and like them, but I was going to mention the sound is similar to the Parker Jotter, if that's too loud for you, then you should go for the Fermo

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

You'll love your new VP. As the video shows (thanks, bphollin), it's clicky but the sound is robust and reassuring. It has a certain gravitas.

柯伦伟 Wei Kelun

I never gave the clicking sound of my VP's a second thought. Now I can't help but notice it and it seems to be getting louder!

click…click…click…click…click…click…click

It's like the Tell Tale Heart.

Thanks everyone! lticaptd.gif

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Wow! I love it! Now I know all about the sound levels of one of my pens. I never would have thought that I could ever find out anything like that... :)

Thanks, folks!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

In my mind, the ability to click with one hand is a worthwhile tradeoff for the extra sound.

fervent +1

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

That's a great price! What color did you decide on? Enjoy.

Blue with rhodium trim. I will naturally load it with blue ink. Will post my impressions after it arrives. I think it will come slowly due to aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

Thanks again, all.

The VP arrived today! I had about ten minutes before a meeting, so I skipped the new pen protocol (flushing with soapy water and etc) and instead just loaded it with Diamine Royal Blue and headed out. Based on the reviews, I was expecting it to be smooth, a tad dry, and to write a somewhat finer line than a Western medium nib -- and it was as expected, which is perfect for me.

The clip is a non-issue for me, though the weight causes me to grip it tightly - That's a bad habit of mine. The "click" is also a non-issue - very muted. As someone wrote, it is no worse than the sound of someone shifting in a chair or turning a page.

Boy, this thing would be perfect for signing documents, which I do all the time at work. People are always walking into my office with forms and such. I could just "click" and sign. Maybe I need a custom stub for it...Yeah, that's it. :D

Edited by Koyote