Kaigelu 316 Accidental Disassembly Photos

Flounder

Here's a funny one... I was taking a break from modding another 616, when I went to reattempt swapping the converter in my Kaigelu 316 for a short international cartridge. By an odd concatenation of circumstances, I wound up disassembling the section. I present my findings for the collective:

• When screwing/unscrewing the threaded converter from the Kaigelu, hold the converter by the clear ink view plastic area, because the metal part is threaded onto the converter, with no adhesive, in the same direction as the bottom threads! Instead of screwing the converter onto/off of the pen, you may find yourself taking the converter apart instead!
  • Screwing the converter into the pen also has the effect of driving the section sleeve out! This is quite interesting - the section has internal threading in the sleeve area, but the sleeve itself is unthreaded, just glued in. Mine had a small drop here and there, but not enough to hold the sleeve in place - no spiral marks or scratches to indicate any friction between the section threads and sleeve.
  • Have a look at the nib - I thought it was a steel nib with gold mask. It seems to be the other way around!

Photographs:

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Kaigelu%20316%20Disassembly/th_Kaigelu316Disassembly001Large.jpg http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Kaigelu%20316%20Disassembly/th_Kaigelu316Disassembly004Large.jpg http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Kaigelu%20316%20Disassembly/th_Kaigelu316Disassembly005Large.jpg http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Kaigelu%20316%20Disassembly/th_Kaigelu316Disassembly007Large.jpg http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Kaigelu%20316%20Disassembly/th_Kaigelu316Disassembly009Large.jpg

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Flounder

• Contax1961

• KrazyIvan

• 5 weeks later...

Some less accidental disassembly! The weight of the end finial does kind of get on my nerves, and I've already decided to allow myself a tinker about with this pen anyway (the converter isn't great, the piston lets ink past it as well as the earlier issue shown above). As Richard advised, the finial is glued in. I poured boiling water into the (very strong and thick) barrel, gave it a count to ten, and a very slight waggle with a pair of spark plug pliers. This was enough to overcome the securing glue.

The glue used seems to be the same as was used on the section sleeve - notice it doesn't seem to have reacted with the barrel plastic or the painted finial, just sort of dried on its own. It feels quite flexible, like silicon or aquarium sealant, but slightly stiffer.

Anyway, here are some photos. The barrel circumference is nice and regular the length of the shaft, so this pen might be a candidate for modding, or at least boring out the finial to make the balance of weight more favourable. A surprise - I thought it was the finial being so fat that prevented this pen from posting, but it turns out the trim ring and probably even the barrel itself are too great a circumference to post adequately. This is all fine by me, I don't tend to post my pens.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Kaigelu%20316%20Disassembly/th_Kaigelu316FinialRemovalLarge.jpg http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Kaigelu%20316%20Disassembly/th_Kaigelu316FinialRemoval2Large.jpg

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Neat! You're nudging me into trying yet another well made affordable pen, like I need another hole in my head. Thanks, buddy! :roflmho:

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

• 2 months later...

Cap finial and clip removal is as below:

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Kaigelu%20316%20Review/Kaigelu316Photo15_zpsa13f4823.jpg

The finial screws on/off and the clip and ring are held in place by the finial.

Richard.

My Kaigelu is sitting in my "maybe when I'm bored" section of pens, that I might try again some time to see if I can get it working properly. Won't go through the entire list of problems I had with it, but I'd also noticed that you can't screw the converter in too far or it starts driving out the section sleeve (which if you don't notice it at first, can lead to a pretty serious leak). Just seems like bad design to me. A rather pretty pen, but not worth even its low price as far as I was concerned.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

• 1 year later...

Hmm.

Interesting to see that the pen uses a sleeve. That should mean it's easily possible to fit a Jowo or Bock replacement nib unit.

The Jinhao 750 feed looks identical to the Jowo. They appear interchangeable in the standard Jowo screw-in nib collar/sleeve.

A fellow on Ebay is selling nib, feed, and converter sets for the Jinhao 450. I asked whether he could get these sleeves as well. I was thinking of retrofitting an Indian eyedropper and a couple old busted pens. I'd suspect pen turners might be interested as well.

• 9 months later...

Does anyone by chance have an extra ring, as seen in #6? My 316 came apart when I tried to clip it to a shirt pocket - the first time - and the ring is "somewhere." I was hoping to glue it back together, because the threads are worthless. (I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask this question!)

Edited by Manalto

James

• 1 month later...

Cap finial and clip removal is as below:

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Kaigelu%20316%20Review/Kaigelu316Photo15_zpsa13f4823.jpg

The finial screws on/off and the clip and ring are held in place by the finial.

Richard.

Hi Richard, has taken into account to produce even the end of the cap?

Riccardo

Un istante ripetuto nel tempo diventa Eterno!

I have not, and will not, produce a replacement cap finial. The load on the thread from the clip is too high for a thread to stand in polyester resin. Polyester is too brittle & not strong enough to remain intact for long.

I cannot, at present, find a way of moulding it in a stronger resin so that the angled faces are ready polished when it comes out of the mould. I will look at it, but hold no great hopes.

Regards,

Richard.