Newton Pens Cumberland With M1000 Nib

Brian C

My second Newton Pen. My daughter also has a crayon holder that he has made. This time I sent him a Pelikan M1000 nib that I wasn't using, I don't care for Pelikans usually. Usually the great selling point on custom pens is that you get to choose everything about the pen and create a unique to you pen. With this one I sent him the nib and told him to surprise me. I only knew that it would have that nib and be a button filler when I opened it.

Appearance and Design:

Nice. This cumberland ebonite is beautiful. Very similar to red/black ebonite but a bit darker with straighter lines. Shawn put gold hardware on there and I feel this was a good choice. The blind cap for the button is about as invisible as I could imagine it could be. I can barely feel the seam when the blind cap is on. This is one of my more "purdy" pens. I couldn't be happier with the appearance.

Construction and Quality:

Everything is top notch. Both the cap and blind cap go on and off perfectly. The button needs only a light touch to fill. The nib is perfectly fit. This is what I expect when I order a hand made pen. Shawn obviously cares about the customer liking the pen.

Weight and Dimensions:

Shawn knows that I treasure my MB 149 above all other pens(thanks Hari). This pen is just a tad bit shorter than my 149. It weighs about the same, maybe a bit more. My 149 has the plastic piston threads, so it is really light.

I'm guessing Shawn was using that pen as a model for the size of this pen. Actually, he has requested pics of my 149 with the cumberland. I need to get that done. This pen is a good size and weight.

Nib and Performance:

As I sent Shawn the nib, all he had to do was screw it in once the pen was made so I won't evaluate this part of it. Shawn does do great nib work though in general.

Filling System and Maintenance:

Button filler. I like button fillers. They hold enough ink, they are fun to use, the are light, and parts are inexpensive to replace should they break. As I stated earlier, this is one of the easier buttons I've used. Really easy to get a fill.

Cost and Value:

I believe this pen would cost in the ballpark of $250 to $275 without the nib. That's a pretty good price for a completely handmade pen, Shawn even makes the buttons himself.

Conclusion:

I like it. No one else in the world has this pen. If I have any problems with it I can always contact Shawn to get them corrected. Next up is a bulb filler.

fpn_1351438649__cumberland8.jpg

fpn_1351438780__cumberland1.jpg

fpn_1351438561__cumberland2.jpg

fpn_1351438576__cumberland3.jpg

fpn_1351438587__cumberland4.jpg

fpn_1351438599__cumberland5.jpg

fpn_1351438611__cumberland6.jpg

fpn_1351438637__cumberland7.jpg

*Photos borrowed from Newton Pens website http://newtonpens.wordpress.com/

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Brian C

• ethernautrix

• Scrawler

It's a medium although I may get it ground down to a XF as I am really liking fine nibs these days.

Beautiful pen, gorgeous ebonite, perfect reincarnation for the lovely nib. :happyberet:

The blind cap is virtually invisible, it would be interesting to see the button.

The step-down to the section threads, and the straight section, look comfortable. It's like you found a perfectly preserved vintage button filler in a time capsule.

One of the best looking pens I've seen. :thumbup:

Congratulations!

I expect comfortable pens from Shawn. He has that magic touch. The section is actually a teensy little bit pinched.

A nice subtle touch that just guides my fingers to the right spot when I hold it.

Beautiful pen! You're right about the blind cap's being hard to detect. I can imagine how seamless it feels.

Recently, Brian Gray transplanted a Sheaffer Tuckaway's Triumph nib to an Edison Morgan ED, and I love it! For people who have great nibs on poor pens, it looks like there's an alternative to letting the pens waste away or to use the pen but feels jangly about it -- send the nib to Brian or Shawn (probably there are others). I'm very impressed with how quickly Shawn has learned the pen-making skills -- like a duck to water!

Happy for you!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

That is just magnificent. I love the complex curve of the pen's body shape. And I love big nibs. Shawn adds beauty to the world.

• 2 months later...

• 3 years later...

WOW. I just got 2 pens from Shawn this week and I already want to get another but dont have that kind of cash handy but I love the look of the ebonite! Thanks for the post

My gosh, that's beautiful, Shawn and Brian. Speechless.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Cost and Value:

I believe this pen would cost in the ballpark of $250 to $275 without the nib. That's a pretty good price for a completely handmade pen, Shawn even makes the buttons himself.

Fair enough. But you say that you ordered the pen, which tends to suggest that you paid for it. If so, how much did you actually pay for the work? A reader might find that a more useful figure, e.g. if thinking of a similar order.

Fair enough. But you say that you ordered the pen, which tends to suggest that you paid for it. If so, how much did you actually pay for the work? A reader might find that a more useful figure, e.g. if thinking of a similar order.

I think the pen was created as part of a kickstarter backing award. As far as I recall Brian backed Newton pens at the highest level and got something like 10 pens made for him as his "reward." Therefore there would not be pricing involved.

Shawn is transparent in his current pricing on his website, including custom nibs.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!