Hungarian Pens

pavoni

Hi Panda7,

Wow, this thread really has had new life breathed into it. Many thanks for contributing.

Your pen is a big tease for me :huh: The Tatra pens I was referring to at posts 1, 2 and 5 of the beginning of this thread, are pre-First World War and certainly no later than 1920-2. Your pen however, what with that very heavy looking clip and heavy cap lip, looks to be early 1950s. It can't really be 1930s because of the piston-filling mechanism and it can't be 1940s because of the clip and cap lip material. So now I am both quietly excited and confused but certainly curious :unsure:.

Could it really be that someone, at sometime, had (has?) resurrected the old Tatra sub-brand? And, is this a Hungarian brand?

I would be interested to see the quality of and markings on the nib! Can you take a photo of the nib and feed please Panda7? Also, have you had the pen apart to see what the piston-filling mechanism is made of? In the very least, if you could confirm where you got this curious pen from, I would be most grateful. :blush:

Sorry for so many questions but if you have read the entire thread, you will hopefully appreciate my interest.

Pavoni.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• attika89

• pavoni

• tinta

• Venemo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Pavoni,

First, I buy this pen because of unusual, pretty detailed symbols on clip (maybe that part can say something more about history of pen) and after that I try to find more information about Tatra brand (and find your topic :) ).

Second, I buy this one on local market version of ebay. History of pen is quite unclear for me. Seller say it is belong to WWII pilot. If pen is produced at 1950's that probably is not true. :)

As soon as possible, I will add more photos of blind cap, knob, ink window, feed and nib. Imprint on nib is not so readable and I will try to magnify that part.

Best regards, Panda

Hello,

Some additional pics of Tatra fountain pen alone and in combination with Pelikan M200 with M400's nib:

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w622/lejla77/Tatra4_zps0bf9b03a.jpg

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w622/lejla77/Tatra5_zps24816403.jpg

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w622/lejla77/Tatra9_zpsb3d293bb.jpg

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w622/lejla77/Tatra8_zpse8794262.jpg

Imprint on nib is: Huntco; Made in USA, Alloy Tipped; Fine.

Best regards, Panda

Many thanks for the additional photos Panda. I very much appreciate you taking the time.

I have seen this type of pen many times before and unfortunately it is definitely not the same Tatra sub-brand I am interested in.

The nib on the pen you have pictures will have the following inscription:

HUNTCO

MADE IN (this part is in a rectangle)

USA

ALLOY

TIPPED

FINE

If you check the barrel of your pen with a loupe, you may find either the mark Sz within an oval shape, and you may also find a two digit number also on the barrel, such as '48'.

This pen has an ink window (in amber colour) immediately after the threads on the grip section. If you search on e-bay for 'Hungarian pens', this pen comes up quite often under the same Seller. I have bought many in the past to practice my pen repairing on :)

Pavoni.

Pavoni,

Thank you for additional clarification.

I like vintage look of this fountain pen but I planing to replace nib. Do you have any recommendations, how to find nibs compatible with Huntco?

Panda

Hi Panda7,

I also like the look of your pen (I have a green version but with wrong cap). :)

The Huntco nib is a pretty generic nib so any similar sized nib should suit. You will obviously need to ensure that the new nib can sit properly within the nib housing, together with the feed, otherwise you will not get consistent ink flow, making for a very frustrating experience.

With such a pen you can trial and error, until you find the nib that best meets your expectations :thumbup:

Pavoni.

This is a thread that just keeps on giving!

As an ex-pat Magyar, I'm always interested.

While in Szentendre last October, I had a chance to re-visit an "Antikvarium" where I had bought some Roman silver denari in the past. I'd seen a few fountain pens displayed at this shop, but at that time I only focused on coins,...pens were not on the radar,...not yet.

This time I dropped in with the express purpose of looking for vintage Hungarian fountain pens.

The shop had no fountain pens but did have a writing display with old letters, post cards, nib-holders & boxes of steel nibs, all sporting the Schuler Jozsef RT Budapest brand.

What really caught my eye were the Schuler's Jokai Toll (910EF) nibs, that had unusual trefoil-cross shaped vents. I decided to buy a number of these & a selection of other vintage Schuler nibs.

On my return to Canada I examined the nibs carefully, only to find some quite corroded. After a bath of "Restore", most surface rust was removed & oxidation stabilized. Now they wait to be inked.

I don't wish to hijack this wonderful thread (for I'm not inquiring about Hungarian fountain pens, per se).

Yet, I would still like to find company information about this Schuler brand. Did they only make dip pens? Did they also make fountain pens?

Hopefully someone reading this thread may lead me in the right direction.

I presume that Schuler is no longer in business. My inept searches thus far have only led to a few ebay & blog entries. To date, not much joy.

Thanks in advance. Istvan (tinta)

To add: If there is any interest I could try to photograph them & post then here.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 5 weeks later...

Yet, I would still like to find company information about this Schuler brand. Did they only make dip pens? Did they also make fountain pens?

To add: If there is any interest I could try to photograph them & post then here.

Szervusz István,

As far as I know the company did not make fountain pens. They did however make dip nibs, nib holders, pencils, beautiful tin cases, compasses and so on.

Everything started with indigo copy papers in 1881, produced from 1891. The production of dip pens started in 1894

From 1948, the company manufactured the third generation of 'GO'PEN ballpoint.

The company was sold in 1990, and the new (German or Austrian?) owner took everything out from the factory and did not proceed the manufacturing.

In around 1910-20 they've even dumped the museum worthy production machines.

Sadly the factory building is gone and the office was bombed down during the war....

I'd love to see those nibs! (and writing sample maybe?) ;)

_________

Not connected to anything, just for fun:

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140225/1922097_700709003327959_1350423140_n_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

"Flush your pen before filling"

I love that Deco "reklam", chimney sweep & all.

What brand of ink,...Extra?

Excellent advice to heed, even today.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

Vintage Schuler Budapest, "Jokai Toll" dip-pen nibs.

What I could find about the ad is, that the inks was produced by "Lakk és Festékipari Vállalat Budapest"
There was a nice bottle:

http://retronom.hu/files/images/extra_01.preview.jpg
and a slightly bigger:
http://retronom.hu/files/images/kepek/72/1959_DSCN1929.preview.JPG

The Schuler nibs are beautiful! :thumbup:

"Lakk es Festekipari Vallalat Budapest" suggests that these may be post-war, Communist times bottles.

But maybe not,...as the 1959 stamped on the larger bottle may have been added much after manufacture. Could the larger bottle be pre-war.?

BTW, are these inks yours or searched images?

They're fascinating none-the-less, particularly the Montblanc like Royal Blue bottle.

What makes the "Toltes elott mossa ki tollat" ad interesting is the use of a chimney sweep.

I wonder how many kids now would recognize a chimney sweep, brush & cable in hand.

As soon as I get a chance to experiment with the "Jokai Toll" nibs, I'll try to post a writing sample. The cruciform breather hole should hold a fair amount of ink. I'm curious if it is a flex nib.

The images are from a quick search, sadly not my own.
I don't know much about their age though. Both must be somewhere from the 50ies.
I think - as many pen related things and their design - the bottles were from/ based on some of the "big Germans". Pelikan had similar ink bottles for example. So maybe their age can be more-less the same as the Extra's.

Yes, the chimney sweep is kind of retro now. I love this little hanger.
Some kids don't even know what is this thing on this sign:
http://www.tabla.hu/files/images/termekek/KZA039001/KZA039001_1_240x240.jpg

I'm really looking forward to the writing sample! ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-VINTAGE-HUNGARIAN-FOUNTAIN-PEN-PAXBLACK-COLOR-585-NIB-731-/271403939823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f30ef77ef

This is a relatively contemporary pen, but I thought the resemblance to the 51 was striking.

The listing doesn't show, but it says it's a "Pax" hungarian pen.

Edited by BURNSY13

Oh, I'm so sorry that I haven't come back to this thread when the pen was restored :blush:

The pen came out to be even nicer! With the nib polished, and an overall cleaning it really looks great.

The person I've sent it out for restoring has a few Turcsány pens, and he said that this pen might(!) not be a proper one. Those in his collection has the brand name engraved in the barrel or the cap. This does not, but heart and soul (nib and feed) is Turcsány.

He said that Turcsany even made safeties, and he has some of those too.

I'm yet to meet him in person to see his collection, but hopefully I can make it one day.

A few photos of the restored pen:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5321/9840894345_b33cc3b4fe_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7394/9840911356_376f7904fb_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5447/9840983163_e416624235_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7317/9840878545_3931330e58_z.jpg

Attika:

I sure hope that your friend will allow you to take pictures so you can post here if you ever get to meet him! I would love to see his collection! :P

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-VINTAGE-HUNGARIAN-FOUNTAIN-PEN-PAXBLACK-COLOR-585-NIB-731-/271403939823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f30ef77ef

This is a relatively contemporary pen, but I thought the resemblance to the 51 was striking.

The listing doesn't show, but it says it's a "Pax" hungarian pen.

PAX is a Hungarian brand indeed.

In 1956 PEVDI (Pestvidéki Divatcikkipari Szövetkezet) was founded.

In 1962 they started to produce PAX ballpoints and refills.

Then in 1990 PEVDI assigned it's rights to HungaroPen Kft. (Ltd.)

And there are some product under the name of HungaroPAX too.

Attika:

I sure hope that your friend will allow you to take pictures so you can post here if you ever get to meet him! I would love to see his collection! :P

I really hope it will happen! :)

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm quite new to this thread and unfortunately can't shed too much light on Hungarian fountain pens (even though I'm Hungarian myself). All I found is that at some point there was a "Lánchíd" brand (someone is selling a box, but unfortunately not the pen).

About "Extra": I actually have a bottle of their "royal blue" ink back at home. I've found one of those big glasses laying around in my grandfather's garage. Surprisingly, it still works nicely despite all the decades it has lived through. It's a smooth and nice-colored ink with that intense vintage smell and feeling to it.

If you are interested, I can make a writing sample next time I visit home.

I'd love to see a little writing sample with that!

Actually I saw that pen box as well! I got so excited, but then I read it was only the box.
There was a black piston filler Turcsány pen up for sale no too long ago as well, but I've missed it because I was away and had no internet connection for two weeks... :gaah:

It had the same nib as mine, and mine looks prettier, so I'm not too mad about it :P

Welcome Venemo. I too would like to see a writing sample with the Extra ink please.

That box is sooooooo tantalising. I have seen a number of "Hungarian fountain pens named 'Lanchid' but in truth, they didn't really excite me (other than it is the name of my favourite bridge, opposite my favourite hotel, in Budapest).

Oh I wish I had seen that Turcsany pen for sale :( . I keep waiting for the day when attika e-mails me asking me to take that beautiful pen off his hands B)

I was in the Westend last week and very sad to see that the Montblanc had gone :bawl: Whilst a huge disappointment on the day, I was always the only customer in there each and every time I visited!

Pavoni.

Something really bad has to happen to consider to let that pen go. Haha :D

Last week I was searching for that MB store in the Westend to ask if they'd bother with servicing my 149, but I also had to face that they are gone...
The MB site still lists that shop though. I don't know if they'll open an other one somewhere else.

BTW, here is the link for that black Turcsány.

Edited by attika89