Noodler's Galileo Manuscript Brown

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window then ensure the FPN Theme is http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/ecb8726d-1.jpg

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/b4a04182.jpg

As I do not wish to be earn the handle 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', wee image thumbnails are used where indicated. To view those image as intended, kindly left-click its thumbnail.

~♢~

Note: As with all Noodler's cellulose-reactive (C-R) inks, NGMBr was given an almighty shaking prior to use, then allowed to rest until the ink returned to room temperature and the froth on the ink subsided.

Fidelity

• At the time of writing, there is no 'official' depiction of this ink, so fidelity to the ink used here cannot be determined.

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/INK655_zps11a84a7b.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/th_INK652_zpsf4d3f2da.jpg

Pens: L ➠ R: PCP, Safari, C74, 45, Phileas, Prelude.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 3.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/INK657_zps44823996.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/INK658_zps1972c99f.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/INK659_zpsec60b7fd.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Royal.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/INK660_zps00d7dac7.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Staples.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/INK663_zps6d0ed3bf.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples Creme.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/INK661_zps08a3f150.jpg

Figure 9.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/INK664_zpsa73ee32d.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times & Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/INK654_zps1ed965f5.jpg

Figure 11.

Performance as a watercolour.

Paper: Arches.

• Top: Lines from the Phileas; strokes from dry and wet brushes.
  • Middle: Lines & brush strokes that were dry, then wet sponged to remove ink that may be water soluble / loosely bonded to the paper.
  • Bottom: Lines & brush strokes that were dry, but not sponged, then over-worked with a pale Blue. Dots are just the Blue.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/INK656_zpsffe7f887.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Cellulose-reactive fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.

Availability:

• At time of posting, sales were temporarily suspended
    • Kindly see these Topics: 09-Oct-12 LINK & 2011 LINK
    • So that matters concerning availability can be shared with a wider readership, please address those concerns in either of the above Topics.
    • Fingers crossed, soon come!

Daily writer?

A go-to ink?

• When one seeks a durable warm Brown.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• As ever, I have trouble considering Brown for business correspondence, typically suggesting that the ink be run at high density to somewhat submerge the colour. NGMBr is no exception, especially considering the warmth of the ink.
  • Brown might be considered for lateral and downward correspondence, especially notes of casual nature.
  • A good pick for personal work product; even though a bit warm at 'native' density, it certainly moves along well and is should be very readable.
  • A good pick for dedicated use on forms and other material printed in Black.
  • Possible for editing and mark-up of material in Blue through Black; and very good for marginalia.
  • Far too convivial for error correction / marking.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• A likely pick as a 'definitive' Brown for charts and graphs.
  • Line quality is very high indeed, with low shading potential, so taut lines and tiny labels are taken in stride.
  • For watercolour work, there is considerable water resistance, so might be considered for foundation lines / blocking that may be over-worked. Some pale yellow dye did come adrift, causing colour shift. I suggest that prior to over-working, one remove any ink that could come adrift. (See Figure 11 above and Hi-Res image on Arches below.)

Students:

• A very good pick.
  • Perhaps a bit warm, though 'lowest bidder' paper is likely to be rather absorbent, which will have the ink appear somewhat darker and slightly less vibrant.
  • Sufficiently durable to allow reading during visits to the hamam, where the ink would likely outlast the paper.

Personal:

• Hmm . . .
  • It is a most welcome addition to my growing array of Brown inks, but just that bit too warm for me to use with any regularity; and may represent the warmest Brown that I am really comfortable using. (Any warmer, I would rather leap to R&K Alt Bordeaux, PR Black Cherry, etc.)
  • I use it for personal 'personal' correspondence, especially to recipients who have let it be known that I should 'lighten-up'. (Ha!)
  • I've been using NGMBr mostly on G Lalo Verge de France Ivory and other heavy textured papers with natural to warm base tints. The lack of shading does not always appeal when I want to use smooth paper with wide mono-line nibs.
  • I prefer the rather soft stub-ish nibs to enliven the mono-tone line somewhat. As a matter of personal taste, I prefer to increase the nib width as the base-tint of the paper becomes warmer. e.g. PCP on HPJ1124 moving to the Prelude on G Lalo; and for very warm tints, out come the wider Stubs such as the Carene and the M200 1.0mm from richardspens.
  • The results are quite something when this ink is used by skilled calligraphers.
  • The performance profile certainly supports using any manner of pen or paper with this ink. Unless tone is very pale, it holds its colour well from narrow nibs, and doesn't appear congested from the wider nibs.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• A bit on the wet side.
  • I felt a minor surge after a brief pause in writing, but visual density on the page was consistent.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubricity:

• A bit high.
  • Running narrow nibs on coarse paper was just OK.

Nib Creep:

• Yes.
  • One of my pet peeves. :sick:

Staining (pen):

• Not seen after three days.

Clogging: *

• Not seen.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Rhodia : C74! LINK
  • Staples Creme : 45, Carene.
  • Royal : 45, Carene.

Feathering / Wooly Line:

• Rare.
  • Inconsequential.

Aroma:

• Slight.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean-Up (pen): *

• Prompt and thorough with plain water.
  • As a matter of course for C-R inks, I use a pen cleaning solution containing ammonia and surfactant.

Mixing:

• Discouraged.
  • May compromise the ink's durability.
  • Other Noodler's cellulose-reactive just might be tried. (I've had success with Lexington Gray, which was used to lower the chroma and 'cool' NGMBr.)

Archival:

• Claimed, though no standards exist for determining archival properties of FP inks.

- - -

I for one consider the cellulose-reactive inks to require higher maintenance than simple dye-based inks.

Pens should be scrupulously clean before charging, and thoroughly cleansed after use.

Internals of caps & barrels should be washed, and the pen disassembled to the extent that one is confident that it can be re-assembled after cleansing. e.g. Remove nib from section of Parker 45s, detach Lamy Safari nib from feed, take an Ahab to bits.

Commercial and home-made pen cleaning solutions may be used to advantage, as might a soak of less than eight hours.

It is not my practice to let ink linger in an unused pen, so I cannot pass along any advice about long-term use based on experience.

Some practitioners are reluctant to use such inks in pens which are inherently tedious to remove the last vestiges of a persistent ink. e.g. Vacumatics, Snorkies.

THE LOOK

Note: NGMBr does not have the chalky appearance of some other Noodler's bulletproof inks.

Presence:

• Warm neutrality.
  • Inviting.

Saturation:

• Quite high.
  • A fully inked line can be achieved from a slightly wet pen.
  • The vast majority of the feint lines on the Rhodia were over-written.

Shading Potential:

• Very low, imaginary.

Line quality:

• Very high for the most part.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • Less than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• Less than expected.
    • The unexpected bleed-through from the rather wet C74 on Rhodia may indicate some sort of threshold of two-sided use, yet there was no bleed-through from the 45 on Staples 20lb white.

[*]Malleability:

• Low.
    • Typical of well saturated cellulose-reactive inks, it tends to deliver a very similar appearance unless pen+paper combo is well outside the norm.
    • The wily practitioner would likely choose pen before paper if trying to achieve a somewhat different appearance, as well as modifying their writing technique.

- - -

Noodler's offers suggestions as to the preferred nib set-up.

As ever, I do not cherry pick or adjust the pens used in a Review to match an ink: I prefer a representative array of common pens. I believe the results shown here indicate that it is not necessary to use an unusual nib set-up, which is a very good thing.
*adds Konrad to wish list*

Hi-Res Scans:

Originals are 57.2x45.1mm.

All images are thumbnails.

PCP on HPJ1124:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/th_INK665_zps226c3e9b.jpg

C74 on Rhodia:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/th_INK666_zps0876ff97.jpg

45 on G Lalo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/th_INK669_zpsd2bef591.jpg

Prelude on Royal:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/th_INK668_zpscdf79eab.jpg

Phileas on Arches:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/th_INK671_zpsa4ffae1b.jpg

OTHER INKS

This Review uses the same Written Sample format, atrocious handwriting and some pen+paper combos common to most of my previous Reviews of Brown inks. Consequently, ad hoc comparisons through manipulation of browser windows is supported.

Should that functionality not meet your requirements, I welcome your PM requesting a specific comparison. Additional scans may be produced as time and tides permit, but the likelihood of additional inky work is quite low.

Swab Swami

Thumbnail:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN_2012/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%20Galileo%20Manuscript%20Brown/th_INK653_zps786c4785.jpg

Left ➠ Right: Diamine Chocolate, Noodler's Walnut, Herbin Café de Îles, Waterman Havana (now 'Absolute Brown').

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Crisp whites, though I find it a bit stark.
  • Textured papers with a warm base-tint.

Trip-wire papers: ☠

• Those that are highly absorbent or overloaded with optical brightening agents, OBA.

Copy/Printer paper:

• Very good results were achieved.
  • As usual, to avoid bleed- show-through when one is surrounded by lightweight C/P papers, I suggest use of a dry-ish pen.

Tinted papers:

• Definitely.
  • I consider the warm tints to be the home range of this ink.
  • At high density, it just might handle a pale to medium Blue.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Not so much, driven primarily by appearance, not to match performance.
  • NGMBr showed what it has to offer even on the Staples' papers.

ETC.

Majik:

• Not really - not sufficiently malleable.

Billets Doux?

• I'd have to be playing dress-up; and my wardrobe is quite short on Italian Renaissance kit.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• Prelude on G Lalo.
  • This is one of my favourite pen+ink+paper combos: each participant balanced to give a unified whole. :)
  • The pen gives a good density line on the hard textured paper, and the factory Stub gives a soft bit of line width variation.
  • The laid verge texture adds tactile presence and visual interest.
  • The base-tint of the paper seems just right for the density of ink from the Prelude.

Yickity Yackity:

• I hadn't thought that I'd find a place for such a warm Brown ink, but expected the unexpected.
  • Ah kushbaby, now this might be a bit more interesting than the oh-so-simple Lamy BlBk when duty calls.

======

NUTS BOLTS & BOILERPLATE

Pens

• Written Samples:

A. Platinum Carbon Pen+ g-p steel überfine nib.

B. Lamy Safari + steel F nib.

C. Pilot Custom 74 + № 5 14K Soft Fine-Medium nib.

D. Parker 45 + steel M nib.

E. Waterman Phileas + two-tone steel B nib.

F. Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel Stub nib.

• Lines & labels:

Dimine Indig☹ from a Pilot Penmanship + EF.

Papers

• HPJ1124: Hewlett-Packard laser copy/print, 24lb.
  • Rhodia: satin finish vellum, 80gsm.
  • G. Lalo Verge de France: natural white, laid, 100gsm.
  • Royal: 25% cotton, laser/inkjet copy/print, 'letterhead', 90gsm.
  • Staples White: house brand multi-use copy/print, USD4/ream, bears FSC logo, 20lb.
  • Staples Creme: 'Pastels' house brand, copy/print, USD9/ream, 20lb.
  • Pulp: Calendar page.
  • Arches: 100% cotton, watercolour, cold press, white, ISO 9670 compliant, 185gsm. Soaked but not stretched.

Imaging

• An Epson V600 scanner was used with the bundled Epson s/w at factory default settings to produce low-loss jpg files.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Hi-Res images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • No post-capture manipulation of scanner output was done, other than dumb-down by Epson, Photobucket & IP.Board s/w.

Densitometer Readings on HPJ1124

• Red 151
  • Grn 90
  • Blu 74
  • Lum 99

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always YMMV, due to differences in materials, manner of working, environment, etc.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Sandy1 Noodler's Galileo Manuscript Brown FPN Exclusive

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• CAG_1787

• JefferyS

• fiberdrunk

As usual, an exemplary and comprehensive review. Thanks so much for all your efforts. Fingers crossed that this becomes available again soon... GMB is one of those elusive inks I keep reading about, but it disappeared before I found my way here. :blink:

I do have one question though -- you mentioned toning down the warmth with a bit of Lexington Gray. Could you provide a comparison scan between that mix and the original unaltered ink? It would be good to see what the difference is. Thanks.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oh Great Sandy One,

Why do you taunt us so with ink unattainable?

(if I didn't want it before, I sure want it now)

As usual, an exemplary and comprehensive review. Thanks so much for all your efforts.

This x1000.

How do you compare it to #41? (if you had to have one, which one would you prefer to be stuck with?)

YET another gorgeous review of an elusive ink......:bunny01: Thank you for this, I have been so curious about Galileo... and I would like some! I am having a brown craze phase (once more, quickly :roflmho:)! I'm wondering about how it compares to Diamine Ochre actually.

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

I would love to use it. All attempts to buy some over the past 18 months have been futile. An "FPN Exclusive" ink should be available through FPN. I don't even get an email reply. Heroin is more readily available in death row at San Quentin. Just to be sure, I checked the FPN Store. Seems that no inks are available. Can we (FPN) have Brian Goulet sell it, with $1 per bottle donated to the FPN?

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

As usual, an exemplary and comprehensive review. Thanks so much for all your efforts. Fingers crossed that this becomes available again soon... GMB is one of those elusive inks I keep reading about, but it disappeared before I found my way here. :blink:

I do have one question though -- you mentioned toning down the warmth with a bit of Lexington Gray. Could you provide a comparison scan between that mix and the original unaltered ink? It would be good to see what the difference is. Thanks.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi,

You're welcome!

I've posted Reviews of a few other Brown inks, so I thought this might be a good time to post a Review of NGMBr that would support comparison to those previously reviewed, and in so doing offer a direction for pursuit of an alternate.

Thanks for your interest in a mix. I am usually reluctant to go on about mixes within a Review, but since you ask so nicely, I'll add that in the upper reaches of my To Do List. :)

Bye,

S1

Oh Great Sandy One,

Why do you taunt us so with ink unattainable?

(if I didn't want it before, I sure want it now)

As usual, an exemplary and comprehensive review. Thanks so much for all your efforts.

This x1000.

How do you compare it to #41? (if you had to have one, which one would you prefer to be stuck with?)

O Great Silent Speaker,

You're welcome!

I was not my intention to taunt, nor to gloat over a wee bottle of ink. And as mentioned above, I like to think that readers can see what NGMBr has to offer so that alternatives may be considered.

The current Noodler's 41-2012 is amongst the inks I'd previously reviewed, 41-2012 Review, so one can do an ad hoc comparison of NGMBr to that ink through manipulation of browser windows. Should you feel the need for a more specific comparison, please send a PM.

Unfortunately, in my mind 41-2012 still exists deep in the shadow of the original #41, so it would not be good form for me to mention my preference. ;)

Bye,

S1

YET another gorgeous review of an elusive ink......:bunny01: Thank you for this, I have been so curious about Galileo... and I would like some! I am having a brown craze phase (once more, quickly :roflmho:)! I'm wondering about how it compares to Diamine Ochre actually.

Hi,

You're welcome!

It took me quite some time to start exploring the Brown inks, but now I have managed to get some sense of them.

I do not have the Diamine Ochre, so do not have the first-hand experience to compare that ink to NGMBr.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Sandy, awesome review of an awesome ink. Always a fun ink to use.

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words!

Bye,

S1

Great thorough review of my favorite brown! I hope it becomes available again soon.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

I would love to use it. All attempts to buy some over the past 18 months have been futile. An "FPN Exclusive" ink should be available through FPN. I don't even get an email reply. Heroin is more readily available in death row at San Quentin. Just to be sure, I checked the FPN Store. Seems that no inks are available. Can we (FPN) have Brian Goulet sell it, with $1 per bottle donated to the FPN?

Hi,

From the Review proper:

Availability:

• At time of posting, sales were temporarily suspended
  • Kindly see these Topics: 09-Oct-12 LINK, and from 2011 LINK
  • So that matters concerning availability can be shared with a wider readership, please address those concerns in either of the above Topics.
  • Fingers crossed, soon come!

I have fingers crossed that the FPN exclusive ink 'Starry Night' will appear, but I have trouble writing with so many fingers crossed - at least I'm not holding my breath. ;)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Sssssshhh! don't tell anyone.... keep an eye out for ink news sometime in the next two weeks..... ssssshhhh!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Great thorough review of my favorite brown! I hope it becomes available again soon.

Hi,

Thanks!

Bye,

S1

Sssssshhh! don't tell anyone.... keep an eye out for ink news sometime in the next two weeks..... ssssshhhh!

Hi,

I won't say a word!

Member wimg also spilled the beans Post №72

And few people actually read these Ink Reviews, so little likelihood of a multitude going about with their fingers crossed . . .

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

I bought a sample of this brown from Paperskater (I think), and put it in a Platinum Preppy. It is a nice, well-behaved brown, and it didn't skip after sitting in the Preppy for half a year (with the pen capped). I'd really like to get a few bottles of it for my regular daily ink.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I bought a sample of this brown from Paperskater (I think), and put it in a Platinum Preppy. It is a nice, well-behaved brown, and it didn't skip after sitting in the Preppy for half a year (with the pen capped). I'd really like to get a few bottles of it for my regular daily ink.

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing your experience in leaving the ink in an unused pen for such an extended period. :thumbup:

For personal writing, it is my practice to choose a pen+ink+paper combo on a per document basis, so once that is done, I flush the pen. Consequently I have little first-hand experience in handling ink+pen in the fashion you mention.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

• 1 month later...

This is an ink I am going to grab as soon as it is available again. Sandy's excellent review makes me really look forward to it.

Another great review...but by now we know to expect no less :thumbup:

I do have some of his ink and it is my favorite brown. I love it on cream colored paper for its "antique" feel. Well behaved and with the extra added benefit of water resistance!

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Wow! Fantastic review. When I first saw the written sample it struck me that, in terms if color, the Noodler's Galileo Manuscript Brown looks identical to Private Reserve Burgundy Mist.

I've been using PR Burgundy Mist for the last few weeks. I like to periodically use dark or sedate colors other than black or blue so that the writing stands out a little.

I'd be curious if anyone has both and could take the time to post a swatch of each.

Galileo has good characteristics but I'm not sure I'd label it as a brown ink.