Snail Mail Writing List

Titivillus

PATTY FAIRFIELD!!!!!!!! *swoon*

Oh, man, are you really a Patty Fairfield fan? We are few and far between.

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Izzy

• GreenVelvet

• succubus

• YesIamnotiamnit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, man, are you really a Patty Fairfield fan? We are few and far between.

Yes. I discovered her long ago and far away, up at school, at a bookstore that also sold art supplies and bullwhips.

This was ong before teh innerwebz, and for years and years, the only book in the series I had was Patty's Social Season. Then came Project Gutenberg, and fleabay. :)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Yes. I discovered her long ago and far away, up at school, at a bookstore that also sold art supplies and bullwhips.

This was ong before teh innerwebz, and for years and years, the only book in the series I had was Patty's Social Season. Then came Project Gutenberg, and fleabay. :)

I started similarly--my grandmother picked up a copy of Patty's Summer Days at a flea market, and I read it over and over again. Then in high school I discovered Project Gutenberg, and in college I picked up the rest of the series on eBay.

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

A little apprehensive about this!

Vee

Christian

living in the UK

Have studied English Lit with Creative writing. Have studied Law.

Into music - little bit of everything. Art - depends. I read an awful lot of books - not all of them 'high-brow' I confess...

trashy TV - like T.O.W.I.E, Kardashians (sorry - but only on occasion!) I watch 'serious' TV too! (well... sometimes)

Films - action, romance, drama, comedy .. pretty much anything except horror/slasher films and westerns

Food - especially cake

and fountain pens of course

I play piano. I sometimes paint. I very rarely write - but like doing it when I get the inspiration.

I like to play with my afro

looking for a penpal outside of the UK who is of a similar age

I can actually write in sentences. When the mood takes me.

feel free to PM me

Hey everyone,

just to let you know I won't be accepting anymore penpals - I'm full up for now!

Thanks

:D

Hi all! I'm cellardoor04...Yes, I'm being secretive about my real name on an open forum :P

I'm from Singapore, 26 this year, female, and am open to penpals from anywhere in the vast universe.

Bit about me:

• Have a degree in Psychology - but not practicing yet
  • Studying for my GRE so I can enter Master's in the USA (or hopefully get a job there)
  • Lover of balloon-tire era bicycles (Schwinn, JC Higgins, Hawthorne, Elgin and Monark made some gorgeous bikes in my opinion, and I'd consider myself downright lucky to be able to see one in person let alone own one.
  • Lover of pre-1960s typewriters. I own two, myself. If you'd like, I could type up a letter or a note :)
  • I love to sketch. I'm not very good, but I do it anyway. Can't promise that your letters won't be covered in doodles of random things now and then.
  • I like to think I can keep up discussion on a variety of topics, but one topic I take VERY SERIOUSLY is America's Next Top Model. Sorry about it. It is my salvation and my demise. I can go on about that show for days. I could write novels about it.
  • I am just starting to collect fountain pens. My only prior experience with them was when I was young and would take my dad's Montblanc (sadly now lost to the sands of time) from out the cupboard so I could draw. I like to try my hand at flex writing.

That's about it! Do PM if you would like a penpal from a tiny little island off somewhere near the equator :)

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

Cellardoor04 made me think, wouldn't it be grand to be a penpal with an astronaut, cosmonaut (or other -naut as such from other countries) on the International Space Station?

And now for something completely different: do any of you have a set aside, special, designated Letter-Writing-Day or time?

Edited by Inner Prop

My Pens in chronological order:

Baoer 388 - Black - M nib

Lamy AL-Star - Blue - F nib

Kaweco AL Sport - Raw aluminium - M nib

Cellardoor04 made me think, wouldn't it be grand to be a penpal with an astronaut, cosmonaut (or other -naut as such from other countries) on the International Space Station?

And now for something completely different: do any of you have a set aside, special, designated Letter-Writing-Day or time?

I wonder how would the astronaut post their letters back? Interesting idea though :lol:

Nope, I write whenever letters come in!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I wonder how would the astronaut post their letters back? Interesting idea though :lol:

~Epic

By Dragon-mail of course

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/fpngallery/images/station/crew-31/lores/iss031e071134.jpg

By Dragon-mail of course

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/fpngallery/images/station/crew-31/lores/iss031e071134.jpg

I wonder how much postage do I have to pay to send mail to the ISS? :P

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

To answer my own question (from "Short Sharp Science" on 17 May 2012):

Now that private companies are sending spacecraft to the International Space Station, it might not be too long before we see the first space courier. But how do you address a letter destined for space? Astronaut Donald Pettit, currently aboard the ISS, has come up with an answer.

My sleep station, a coffin-sized box, is located in the fifth deck space of Node 2. From an Earth-based perspective, I pop out of my sleep station as if I were coming out of the floor. I am thus situated on the International Space Station (ISS) in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) with an orbital inclination of 51.6 degrees (the angle of our orbit plane to the equator) and an average altitude of 400 kilometers

Putting all that together, Pettit says his address should be Node 2, Deck 5, ISS, LEO 51.603. That last part is the "space zip code", 51.6 for the orbital inclination and 03 because the ISS is the third space station to occupy the spot, following the Salyut series and Mir.

Even remote Antarctic bases have postal addresses, so the idea isn't without precedent, and Pettit says his system will work as long as there aren't more than 99 different space stations in orbit. Postage is unlikely to be cheap though, given that it costs SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket over $5000 to put 1 kilogram of cargo into low Earth orbit, so you might be better off sending a tweetinstead.

Edited by Inner Prop

Hello! I love penpalling. I haven't done a lot of it since way back in my middle-high school days, but I've recently started it up again. I think it was actually getting into fountain pens that got me back into the idea of writing to people. That and my totally unnatural (or is it?) love of all things office supplies. I mean, it isn't like i'm looking for a larger apartment so that I can fit a real writing desk or anything.... nope. :)

So, quick bit about me:

Rachel

Living in Chicago (Lincoln Park). Working in the online advertising industry - just changed jobs to become a ScrumMaster. Recent lover of fountain pens. Right now my favorite daily workhorse is a 1947 Sheaffer Triumph desk set that I bought as new old stock. It looks kinda funny on my desk next to my laptop & monitors, but that's the way I like it.

Interests really are all over the place.

I'd love a penpal from anywhere, really. I just like to chat via written letters - people are always so interesting!

I don't have a particular time when I send letters. I would like to suggest that an Astronaut could write a letter with his space pen and then attach it to an email. If they don't have paper to spare, maybe he/she could use a stylus on a tablet to write a cursive letter. I'm on the road for a year without a permanent address. I'd like to write to a pen pal using this same system. Anyone interested? I'm currently in Barcelona until Oct. 26, 2014. My interests include fountain pens, cinema, politics, history, Apple products, Zenatangles, food, and wine.

~Epic

Finally (sorry) letter out to Dimitris in Greece.

Rachel, I'm obviously from Chicago. Nice to see another person from Da City joining the forum.

My name is Trevor. I am studying to be a Catholic priest and have recently become a fountain pen enthusiast with a mild interest in calligraphy. I enjoy meeting new people my age (22 years or thereabouts) and sending/receiving letters. This will also help with my handwriting I'm sure.......

"I bet you the Pope writes with a fountain pen"

Trevor, where are you studying. I live just down the street from the Chicago Arch-Diocese seminary. I know they cover a very wide area. Are you from Ohio or are you studying there?

Please pardon my non-snail questions.

One letter in from Germany!

I am here in my initial year of franciscan formation. The Archdiocese has a DIOCESAN seminary which means I am forced to go through religious formation as a franciscan friar BEFORE and DURING priestly formation. You may wonder why I am putting so much emphasis on the difference between diocesan and religious priests- it is because religious education is almost impossible to explain and I therefore am not sure how to answer your question. I suppose I could say I am studying liturgy, the life of Francis of Assisi, franciscan theology and spirituality, moral theology and various other "life" courses such as addictions and etiquette. Just the basic sort of things all postulants are supposed to know before they become friars.......and eventually priestly friars- if they so choose. I hope this answers your question! :)

Actually I was talking about geographical area, but thank you for the clarification. I was slightly aware of the distinction, but didn't know you were a Franciscan. I grew up with Dominicans and Holy Cross. One of my brothers went to a Franciscan high school just west of Chicago.

I sent a letter today to Rochelle, Illinois.

LOL! Indeed you did ask where, I misread that, sorry. Well yes I am studying in Cincinnati, feel free to write me if you wish.

still looking for some penpal under 30 with interest in politics, economics, sports (F1, football (soccer), cycling...) and FP's.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png