Snail Mail Writing List

Titivillus

Hello from Australia

I am 56, married and am a retired professional now spending my time painting, carving wood and writing with a nice collection of fountain pens and inks. I have been hand writing long, chatty letters to pen friends (from a different site) for quite some time and would love to be involved. I'm relatively new to this site so please forgive me if I have missed a step somewhere. Please just contact me if you think you might be interested.

Cheers

AA

Edited by AntiqueApprentice

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Izzy

• GreenVelvet

• succubus

• YesIamnotiamnit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

I have several pen pals through the Letter Writers Alliance (RIP!), but would be happy to have a few more, especially correspondents who can appreciate the fountain pen obsession. I can exchange letters in either English or German and would also be interested if there’s anyone out there who would like to help me revive my mostly forgotten university Spanish or French.

I’m 60 years old, married, with 3 grown children and one dog. I live in Colorado. Professionally I am a software engineer in the satellite industry. I sing in a choir (classical) and in a small band (singer, accordion, bass) that entertains in retirement communities. I bake sourdough bread, do some WordPress development, play a little acoustic guitar, am learning the Bb clarinet, am a recovering CrossFitter, and compete in para-rowing and wheelchair racing. I spend too much time on the internet and am trying to regain my old voracious reading habit (mysteries, science fiction, history, philosophy).

PM me if you’d like to correspond!

Katja

Hello,

I have several pen pals through the Letter Writers Alliance (RIP!), but would be happy to have a few more, especially correspondents who can appreciate the fountain pen obsession. I can exchange letters in either English or German and would also be interested if there’s anyone out there who would like to help me revive my mostly forgotten university Spanish or French.

I’m 60 years old, married, with 3 grown children and one dog. I live in Colorado. Professionally I am a software engineer in the satellite industry. I sing in a choir (classical) and in a small band (singer, accordion, bass) that entertains in retirement communities. I bake sourdough bread, do some WordPress development, play a little acoustic guitar, am learning the Bb clarinet, am a recovering CrossFitter, and compete in para-rowing and wheelchair racing. I spend too much time on the internet and am trying to regain my old voracious reading habit (mysteries, science fiction, history, philosophy).

Katja

Oh dear, another accordion player..... =0 ;)

-Bruce

Hello,

Katja

This is really a wonderful community. My pen pal dance card is full for the moment. Must buy more ink...

• 2 weeks later...

Time to try something new. It is a new year afterall!

Where to start... well honestly, I do not know. Ever since my better half lost his battle vs. cancer I seem to see less color in the world and more mundane black and white struggling to get through each day, day in and day out.

That aside, I am interested in diving into this snail mail exchange. I do not know if it is me, but it seems nearly impossible to find/meet people to have a genuine conversation with, without all the facades and fake smiles.

Though, probably being an introvert does not help with the above!

Where's the additional details? Well that's what starting up a mail exchange is all about right? Getting to know the other! =)

Time to try something new. It is a new year afterall!

Where to start... well honestly, I do not know. Ever since my better half lost his battle vs. cancer I seem to see less color in the world and more mundane black and white struggling to get through each day, day in and day out.

That aside, I am interested in diving into this snail mail exchange. I do not know if it is me, but it seems nearly impossible to find/meet people to have a genuine conversation with, without all the facades and fake smiles.

Though, probably being an introvert does not help with the above!

Where's the additional details? Well that's what starting up a mail exchange is all about right? Getting to know the other! =)

I'm genuinely sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.

Filling in your profile so that people who might want to correspond with you have a little more information will help

Edited by Maccabeus

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

Hi, I'd like to have a few more people to correspond with. I find myself wanting to use my pens more and enjoy writing to the few people I currently exchange letters with.

A bit about me: I'm in my early 30s, married with young kids. I work as an aquatic ecologist. My interests include pens (as you would assume), calligraphy, gardening, history. I'm open to discussing a variety of topics whether serious or not (politics and religion are fine if we agree to keep the conversation civil).

Send me a PM if you're interested in writing.

I’ve never had a pen pale and think that I would like one or two. I’m not your typical fountain pen enthusiast but I think snail mail and the dying art of letter writing would be very enjoyable. Currently I work as an EMT and am about to start paramedic school, I enjoy the outdoors and I love a good discussion. I am not afraid to talk about anything. Because I’m about to start school my responses might not be the fastest but I am hoping that it will give me a break from studying and boost my spirits when I need it. Now because I went to school when it was more important to learn to type then to write by hand my hand writing is not the best but I’m working on it and I hope that exchanging some snail mail will give me a little more motivation along with an excuse to use my pens more.

Please don’t be afraid to reach out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am a recently retired professor who taught advertising photography and graphic design. I am married to a woman who was originally from Russia and just spent three months in Moscow. My Russian language skills are just good enough to make myself understood but not enough to understand a conversation as it goes too fast for me.

I have a 23-year-old daughter who is in college and my family has two pets; a cat and a dog. For fun I collect and use fountain ink pens, roast my own coffee beans and ride a Vespa motor scooter. I'd prefer to exchange about two letters per month on a variety of topics.

I got one headed your way OC :)

I think this is perfect for me! I have way too many pens, inks and more stationary than I can every use (well, maybe we'll test that). I'm almost 50, fountain pen / office supply nerd. Math teacher and musician (piano / vocals). I was reading a lot of posts and seems that a lot of us have interests in gardening. I do a lot of camping / fishing / kayaking / biking as well. Let's write!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m hoping to get back into letter-writing after a 1-2 year break. As a kid, I first attempted to find a pen pal by sending letters to the local penitentiary. My kid-brain was convinced this was a very magnanimous and interesting thing to do. Naturally, my mother disagreed and shut it down as soon as she found out. Since then, I‘ve mostly written to family, as well as some folks I’ve met online and at pen shows. While I still don’t send snail mail to any prisoners, I‘ve conciliated my kid-brain by volunteering at a residential program for formerly incarcerated men.

Other than fountain pens and stationery, I spend too much money on designer handbags and shoes. My interests include classical ballet, theatre, scuba diving, boating, travel, postmodern literature, Italian cinema, Renaissance history, standup comedy, costume design, the occasional bit of trashy tv, and telling somewhat embarrassing stories at cocktail parties. I will talk to most anybody about most anything. I especially love hearing others wax lyrical about their obscure areas of expertise. I work in sales, and while my job is not exactly the Lord’s work, I enjoy it. I have a cat named Bunny, who has been fondly nicknamed Quaalude Cat because he is just that chill

I would like to write to people. Full disclosure: There are probably quite a few of you who are waiting some 5 or 15 or 20 years to hear from me. That was then. I have limped, exhausted from illness and from taking care of those who are ill, across the "retirement" finish line. I just pruned my pens from about 150 down to 20 and would like to write.

I am elderly, eccentric, an introvert who feels as if I am playing the role of a stereotypical "cat lady" for the world, yet my passions are not entirely spent. I love music and poetry. The 19th century was my favorite for both.

I've seen about 30 Hamlets and 15 Lears.

I've seen Balanchine dance and Rob Mariano win Survivor.

I'm an open-minded atheist and a very close-minded Democrat (Warren!!!)

I've discarded some of Harold Bloom's litter (literally).

I once stood in line to meet Joan Baez and I asked her her birthday. "But that's the same day as Nixon!" I screamed out.

I like deadpools.

I am always a member of the audience and like it that way.

And I never before knew that I was such a name-dropper!

"Tea cleared my head and left me with no misapprehensions".

The Duke of Wellington

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I have time and space for some new correspondents. I would love to hear from other parts of the world and different cultures. Writing is extremely important to me and I correspond with my Father every week. Writing is much more than just getting things down on paper, it is organising thoughts and ideas. Sometimes I will write something out in different places and refine it each time. I would love to have long term correspondence where ideas are exchanged and I learn about other cultures.

I am accompanying my parents on what will probably be their last use of their time share. My Father in particular is getting older and is now finding difficulty in walking so I am going primarily as his carer rather than on holiday. I am fascinated to learn as much as I can about Malta and have started researching. As one of the most densely populated countries I will be interested in how they cope with infrastructure - water, sewage and electricity. As a biologist I am hoping to bring back geranium cuttings, which strike me as the best kind of souvenir.

My grandfather always had a huge zest for life and was a lovely godly man. He was an ardent painter (oils) loved salmon fishing and an active member of his church. I would like to think I take after that side of the family. He used to write to us as children using images such as a deer for Dear etc... It made for an interesting letter which needed to be slowly decoded but he took the time for us. Email is the antithesis of that kind of creativity which is time consuming.

Anyway if anyone out there would like to correspond about themselves, their country and culture I would love to hear from them. Writing to others broadens our mind and the discipline it imposes causes us to order our thoughts and reflect a little bit. I used to enclose jokes for my Dad but sadly these have now been exhausted and need replenishing. It may seem odd to waste a page setting up a punchline or narrating a joke but to tell a joke well is no easy task.

I am married with two children, living in the far north of Scotland. Listening to Australian radio I am struck by the contrast between my cold damp winter and the dry hot Australian summer. I am a volunteer driver with a rural transport charity, run a very small baking business and keep chickens. I have a small polytunnel and an interest in gardening. My favourite fountain pen is probably the Parker 25, my favourite ink either Diamine ancent copper or Noodlers X-Feather black. Favourite shows would be Babylon 5 and the gentle humour of Kims Convenience.

This post is probably rambling and worthy of editing but I will let it go. PM me if you would be interested in corresponding.

I have time and space for some new correspondents. I would love to hear from other parts of the world and different cultures. Writing is extremely important to me and I correspond with my Father every week. Writing is much more than just getting things down on paper, it is organising thoughts and ideas. Sometimes I will write something out in different places and refine it each time. I would love to have long term correspondence where ideas are exchanged and I learn about other cultures.

I am accompanying my parents on what will probably be their last use of their time share. My Father in particular is getting older and is now finding difficulty in walking so I am going primarily as his carer rather than on holiday. I am fascinated to learn as much as I can about Malta and have started researching. As one of the most densely populated countries I will be interested in how they cope with infrastructure - water, sewage and electricity. As a biologist I am hoping to bring back geranium cuttings, which strike me as the best kind of souvenir.

My grandfather always had a huge zest for life and was a lovely godly man. He was an ardent painter (oils) loved salmon fishing and an active member of his church. I would like to think I take after that side of the family. He used to write to us as children using images such as a deer for Dear etc... It made for an interesting letter which needed to be slowly decoded but he took the time for us. Email is the antithesis of that kind of creativity which is time consuming.

Anyway if anyone out there would like to correspond about themselves, their country and culture I would love to hear from them. Writing to others broadens our mind and the discipline it imposes causes us to order our thoughts and reflect a little bit. I used to enclose jokes for my Dad but sadly these have now been exhausted and need replenishing. It may seem odd to waste a page setting up a punchline or narrating a joke but to tell a joke well is no easy task.

I am married with two children, living in the far north of Scotland. Listening to Australian radio I am struck by the contrast between my cold damp winter and the dry hot Australian summer. I am a volunteer driver with a rural transport charity, run a very small baking business and keep chickens. I have a small polytunnel and an interest in gardening. My favourite fountain pen is probably the Parker 25, my favourite ink either Diamine ancent copper or Noodlers X-Feather black. Favourite shows would be Babylon 5 and the gentle humour of Kims Convenience.

This post is probably rambling and worthy of editing but I will let it go. PM me if you would be interested in corresponding.

Send a PM your way.

Mahalo.

j

Anyone interested in reviving the "Rebus letter"

It would probably be a one off exchange but my grandfather used to do it for us and I would like to revive the tradition. Google rebus letters and drop me a line. It is the format I was alluding to in my earlier post.

I have lost a few correspondents (I know, I'm messy) and have room for one or two more, drop me a message if you'd like to correspond - just beware the Italian Postal Service is even more messy (and slow) than me.

Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software License Agreement.

In the end, you ignore everything and click "I Agree".

flying-letter-exc.png

I have lost a few correspondents (I know, I'm messy) and have room for one or two more, drop me a message if you'd like to correspond - just beware the Italian Postal Service is even more messy (and slow) than me.

Pm coming your way.

aloha

j

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I guess I will give this a shot.

I am in my thirties, married with 2 children and a basset hound (who's essentially a needy third child).

I like writing, for the act of doing so and as a way of improving my handwriting - which isn't too awful, by the way. Sometimes it even approaches legibility!)

I have a history degree, and in my earlier years I was a teacher; I now work in a different field. I have never lost my love of history, however. I also like photography, reading and, of course, fountain pens. I am also a reluctant runner, a frustrated dog walker and a pod cast listener.

In my younger years, I spent a 5 year period living across Europe and now live in Ireland.

I'm happy to discuss most things, and enjoy speaking to people with similar and opposite viewpoints.

Let me know if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I'M BACK!

I recently had a small bit of trouble with a car break in while moving, so I lost all my important stuff including electronics, paperwork, pen stuff, etc. I recently bought a few varsity's, and I have a couple pens and inks on the way. And I'm stuck at home til may, so I'm really in need of some penpals.

So, hi again! I'm Adriel, I'm 29, and I'm in Ohio. I'm obsessed with big band, swing, and electro swing music. But I like most music, metal, rock, and horror core being my main stuff.

I have dogs, I read too much, I use a briefcase instead of a writing box, I work factory, I take care of my mother and niece, babysitting my nephews, have a wood stove, and I'm not really caught up with most tv shows or movies.

I'm having vague thoughts of going to college for a 2 year degree, maybe getting out of factory work.

I'm working on my handwriting, and I admit to not writing a lot recently due to the theft, but I'm working on it. I'm really in need of a few penpals, so all are welcome to message me!

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

My name is Francis, and I'm a male, 34 from California, United States.

I've been away from pen pal writing for a few months and my mailbox has been pretty empty. I've got some new pens and inks and I would love to get back into it :)

My main interests are:

-fountain pens (of course)

-journaling, and letter writing

-rock climbing

-corgis (I've got a bread loaf at home)

-all things horrors (movie, shows, comics,video games, music, and podcast)

-gaming (I'm into Animal Crossing right now)

-cooking and eating

-heavy metal and electric guitar

-Japanese culture

Please message me if you're interested!

My IG: @awritersreference @francisfrankdelapaz