Some Danitrio Love

jde

Last week Kevin sent me my latest Danitrio short octagon, this one with the ki-dame urushi finish. I blame, uh, that is, thank Siv for his excessive, uh, that is, wonderful photos of his various short octagons. Recently we had the thread about "urushi obsession" and Siv yet again posted a photo of his Danitrios. I thought, I love that ki-dame so much why do I deprive myself? And so sold a few more pens when Kevin said there was one for me! Out of my tiny 10 pen collection, 4 of those are Danitrios and 3 of those are short octagons: the Fellowship pen, a tame-murasaki, and now the ki-dame. I love not only the urushi finish of these little pens—also their great ED'able barrels, how they never roll off the desk accidentally, and they fit my hand so well. No more pens to sell off, but if I could, I would try to get just one more in tamenuri...

Hard to compete with your wonderful photos and here's my weak best attempt:

The tame-murasaki is busy and not available for photo ops:

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae9/jdejh/dsotwo.jpg

For those of you compelled to ask for writing samples, my scrawl will do you no service. Here's a bunch of samples of the flexy EEF as well as a few other Danitrio nibs:

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jde

• quinden

• trhall

• elderberry

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those are gorgeous and where did you get it ?

Maybe I will make it my next pen to complement my Nakaya Decapod Twist.

Hex, aka George

The Short Decagons don't happen to post, do they? I think I'd like a tamenuri S.D., but I'm concerned about their availability...and their price. :roflmho:

Enjoy your fantastic Danis! :thumbup:

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

Great acquire! I do like that Ki-Dame finish, it's not as subtle like the Kuro-tamenuri.

Edited by Soot

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Those are gorgeous and where did you get it ?

Maybe I will make it my next pen to complement my Nakaya Decapod Twist.

Kevin aka winedoc who has announced his "semi-retirement" from selling Danitrios. I don't know

where the short octagons fit in the Danitrio lineup or if these were a limited run. If Kevin has time maybe

he will clarify?

The short octagon does not post. Yes, llke the Nakaya Decapod, the facets give a nice variation in the urushi!

There's also the regular octagon Danitrio which is a bigger pen. Here's a couple that kiavonne posted once upon

a time.

Edited by jde

Congratulations, it looks fantastic! The ki-dame really makes the facets pop; if you get the tamenuri, you'll only need the tame midori to complete the set ;)

Hopefully I can get some pics of my tame midori up soon.

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Lovely pen! I just like the way Danitrio does the faceted pen thing much more than Nakaya's decapods. I have a regular length Dani Octagon in tame-midori, just the right shape to make that dark green pop.

Can I, please, request a picture of the tame-murasaki once it is available again? :)

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

Can I, please, request a picture of the tame-murasaki once it is available again? :)

The tame-murasaki is the base of the Fellowship pen, btw. (So Kevin told me once upon a time.) But rather than have you imagine the Fellowship pen

without it's gorgeous maki-e, here you go—a photo of my tame-murasaski (which is currently at MikeItWork's spa):

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae9/jdejh/tm1.jpg

The color is exaggerated because of the light. It is more...*struggling to find the words*... quiet, subdued, elegant, warm.

Great acquire! I do like that Ki-Dame finish, it's not as subtle like the Kuro-tamenuri.

True, nothing subtle about the ki-dame!

Enjoy your fantastic Danis! :thumbup:

Thank you. Price is something I think of as, "What don't I need so that I can raise the funds?" Otherwise I could not buy them!

Congratulations, it looks fantastic! The ki-dame really makes the facets pop; if you get the tamenuri, you'll only need the tame midori to complete the set ;)

Hopefully I can get some pics of my tame midori up soon.

You taunt me! Can't wait to see your midori. Maybe elderberry will post a link or photo for her bigger midori Octagon? Would love to see that too.

Edited by jde

Here's the best I can do with my sad smartphone - it loses the beatiful green depths this pen has in person. Hope you enjoy it :)

I love that tame-murasaki in both forms! I sure wish they would do a "Fellowship II".

fpn_1349658656__2012-10-07_200625-1.jpg

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

I really like the ki-dame finish, congratulations.

I like the tame-midori finish even more, though. So many pens, only a limited budget. Sigh...

These small octagons are really appealing

I cannot see them on the Danitrio website, and wondered, with Winedoc's semi-retirement, who to contact.

Has anyone any idea ?

Please help

John

These small octagons are really appealing

I cannot see them on the Danitrio website, and wondered, with Winedoc's semi-retirement, who to contact.

Has anyone any idea ?

Please help

John

Hi John,

In the US, Nibs.com distributes Danitrios. Even though they list only a few on the website, according to this thread from last year, they can order any Danitrio that is available. Outside the US, not at all sure who deals other than Aesthetic Bay & Pensinasia.

The question is, of course, is how available if at all is the 'short octagon' model. It's my impression not many of this size were made... ? I'd start by asking Nibs people. Good luck!

Congratulations, Jules! I'm happy for your happiness!

Back at you, Lee, for your Nakaya joy!

Tamenuri? Do it!

Curses!!

Here's the best I can do with my sad smartphone - it loses the beatiful green depths this pen has in person.

Urushi pens are tough to photograph (well, for me that's true!). I know what you mean about the depths you see in person. Thank you for sharing your midori. I can see & feel the green in it...!

P.S. Josh, your handwriting is beautiful!

Edited by jde

Beautiful pen. Congratulations

At the LWES on Sat, had the chance to hold and admire the Fellowship pen from Fpn fellow member Nibble. Astonishing

He had a hard time to get it back from my hands.

Quan el centre del món no ets ben bé tu (per més que en tinguis la il·lusió),

si et desvetllaven enmig de la nit, no vulguis preguntar-te per què vius:

distreu-te rosegant l'ungla d'un dit. [I beg your pardon, Salvador Espriu]

Thanks Julie! There are lots of inspiration-inspiring calligraphers and artists that I have been following, Leigh Reyes in particular.

Oh! I wanted to let you know that I now have my Dani and my Hakumin ED'ed - thanks for the tip! :)

These pens are so stunning...that I had to post again! I loved the Fellowship Dani I saw in person, but I'm not too fond about having maki-e applied on a pen I plan to use. The design is just so beautiful though! I wonder how the kurokeshi variant would look in person... :clap1:

Edited by PenandDesign

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

Managed to take some pictures of my tame-midori regular Octagon.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gnoTLQaoIj4/UHlYr_aT78I/AAAAAAAAAIY/kuASdRZaxR4/s1600/OctagonUncappedWM.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CxafkzdL1ys/UHlVoszpebI/AAAAAAAAAIE/TD6fMb5ranc/s1600/OctagonUncapped2WM.jpg

You'll have to take my word for it that the facets are there though one can hardly see them. :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YQrBF3adTag/UHlacEOTiiI/AAAAAAAAAIg/ILBY3rn203E/s1600/OctagonDetail2WM.jpg

The uncapped pen is the Octagon, the darker tame-midori pen next to it is a Takumi. It looks more faceted than the Octagon though it is totally round. :headsmack:

Edited by elderberry

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog