... Inks As Good As Noodlers Black ...

TMLee

Noodlers Black is fantastic.

What are other ink colours as good as Noodlers Black ?

Any in the

brown ;

Red;

Blue range ?

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMLee

• The Good Captain

• tonybelding

• ustacood

My favorites for typical color ranges (I am not claiming these are universal best, just my favorites for these groups so far)

Black - Noodlers Black

Blue - Pilot Iroshizuku Asa Gao

Red - MB Hitchcock Red

Brown - Noodlers Red/Black / Private Reserve Black Cherry (ok ok, its not a true brown)

Fun Color - Diamine Ancient Copper

What is it you like so much about Noodler's Black, I wonder? I've never seen any other ink that is both waterproof and as resistant to feathering and bleeding as Noodler's Black. I wish we could get some other colors with that sort of behavior, actually.

Montblanc inks are generally very well behaved and don't bleed, but their permanence varies a lot. None of them are waterproof as such. MB Hitchcock Red is fantastic... Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green is nice, if you like seaweed. MB Irish Green is a good vivid green color.

Noodler's Texas Pecan (Dromgoole exclusive) is my favorite brown ink. It's a bulletproof type ink, pretty well behaved, and perfect brown color to my eyes.

Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet (another Dromgoole exclusive) is my favorite dark blue. It's mostly waterproof (there's just a slight cyan haze that comes off) and has amazing, rich shading. You'll have to clean your pen a bit more often when using it, though.

Noodler's Liberty's Elysium (Goulet exclusive) is one of the prettiest bright blues you'll ever find, and although not waterproof it does have a permanent component that stays on the paper after the rest has washed away.

In a literal response to your topic question - for doing what?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Noodlers Eternal Brown from Pendemonium is, in my experience, just as good as far as the waterproof properties and writing on (bleep) paper is concerned.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I am impressed with Noodlers Black becos it doesn't bleed nor feather , even on poorer quality paper where other inks just can't be used at all.

I am asking if there are other non-black inks that have such quality , especially

Browns (most preferred)

Reds

Blues

Waterproof is not a must have although good to have.

:D

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

For well behaved blue inks on poor paper you can try out these:

Pilot blue: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/203097-namiki-pilot-blue/

Pilot blue black: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/193348-pilot-blue-black/

Iroshizuku Asa Gao: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/165183-pilot-asa-gao/

These are not waterproof but both Pilot inks have great water resistance. :thumbup:

Edited by carlos.q

Aurora black is the standard for a decent portion of this board.

+1

Lately I've also taken a liking to Diamine Bilberry and Diamine Syrah. Toss in some Apache Sunset and R&K Salix.....The list goes on and on and on....

Edit: fer spellin'

Edited by Chris S

All I want is 1 more pen, and 1 more bottle of ink, and maybe 1 more pad of paper. Well, at least until tomorrow. Oh yeah, and throw in that bottle of single malt. Is that asking for too much?

thanks Chris.

As far as I know, there are no inks that behave as well on naughty paper as Noodler's Black and X-Feather. Some of the iron gall inks are fairly good on cheap paper, but I have not yet come across a color dye ink that can really compare.

Robert.

• 4 weeks later...

I love Noodlers black for its flow and lubrication. Love the waterproofness also. Black in kind of boring tho. I was thinking of posting this same question in relation to purples.

In a extra fine point I also like BSB, Purple wampum, tanzanite, these may not work well in a broader nib, but they are my alternates for noodlers black in a very fine dry nib.

The old formula #41 was pretty close, though it was slightly more prone to bleedthrough on very thin papers. I haven't tried the new one. Most other inks I've tried are excellent in and of themselves, but compared to black's feather and bleed resistance while retaining that ultimate bulletproofness, nothing has quite measured up yet.