Which Inks Are You Using Today?

Sagar_C

12 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

Yes, that Pilot seems to work very well with it, especially after I cleaned the tine gap today to increase the flow a little and eliminate some skipping problems it was having. It's a Hobonichi Techo planner - it has Tomoe River 52gsm.

By the way, now that I'm back to using Scabiosa, I'm finding that it is fairly similar to Oster Barossa Grape, close enough that I think I will skip a purchasing a bottle. (I think I am zeroing in on Sydney Lavender as my next purple Oster ink.)

I also use a Techo planner.  I wonder what paper they will have in them in the future, given that (from what I have been reading lately), the Tomoe River paper will no longer be in production.

As for the similarity between Scabiosa and Barossa Grape, here is a review of the two together:

https://vanness1938.com/blogs/news/robert-oster-barossa-grape-rohrer-klingner-scabiosa-ink-review

In fact, my initial interest in Barossa Grape was as a bluer alternative to Scabiosa.  

As you lean toward Sydney Lavender, I remember that you were also looking at Purple Rock.  What did you think of it?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• ENewton

• amberleadavis

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, ENewton said:

I also use a Techo planner.  I wonder what paper they will have in them in the future, given that (from what I have been reading lately), the Tomoe River paper will no longer be in production.

I have been wondering about that too. We have a store nearby that sells 2nd hand and surplus goods from Japan and I found 3 of the 2021 dayless planners there like new for next to nothing (as well as some other interesting Japanese notebooks and loose leaf paper) and I will probably just continue to use those through the next couple years - I rarely consult the actual calendar anyway. 

As for the similarity between Scabiosa and Barossa Grape, here is a review of the two together:

https://vanness1938.com/blogs/news/robert-oster-barossa-grape-rohrer-klingner-scabiosa-ink-review

In fact, my initial interest in Barossa Grape was as a bluer alternative to Scabiosa.  

Thanks for the link. They are obviously different but still close enough that I'd rather explore some other Oster purples first (as well as the three TAG Stationery purples, all of which look pretty spectacular to me). Unfortunately sources for ink samples at a reasonable shipping price to here are very limited. 

As you lean toward Sydney Lavender, I remember that you were also looking at Purple Rock.  What did you think of it?

I have Purple Rock in a Sailor 1911 with a Hard Medium nib - it looks pretty good in that but actually more blue than purple - but I rarely use that nib size. I am planning to put it in a Japanese fine tomorrow and see how it looks. 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

2 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Thanks for the link. They are obviously different but still close enough that I'd rather explore some other Oster purples first (as well as the three TAG Stationery purples, all of which look pretty spectacular to me). Unfortunately sources for ink samples at a reasonable shipping price to here are very limited. 

I have Purple Rock in a Sailor 1911 with a Hard Medium nib - it looks pretty good in that but actually more blue than purple - but I rarely use that nib size. I am planning to put it in a Japanese fine tomorrow and see how it looks. 

Of the TAG purples, I have only Soft Snow of Ohara, which is one of my favorite inks.  Would it help for me to put it into a few different pens, write on a few different papers, and mail the results to you?

It is interesting that you see Purple Rock as more blue than purple.  That is what I would say about Barossa Grape.  I have Barossa Grape and Purple Rock in pens right now, and as I look at them side by side, Purple Rock is much purpler than Barossa Grape 

I'm using Blackbird Black (from Blackbird Inks) in an Onoto Magna.

So far, it's been Monteverde Mulberry Noir, in the Sheaffer Star Wars Pop Yoda pen, and vintage Skrip Permanent Royal Blue, in the vintage Sheaffer Balance Oversize.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 7/5/2021 at 2:06 AM, ENewton said:

Of the TAG purples, I have only Soft Snow of Ohara, which is one of my favorite inks.  Would it help for me to put it into a few different pens, write on a few different papers, and mail the results to you?

Thank you so much for the kind offer! (As I read what I wrote again I hope you don't think I was passively asking, though!) Please don't bother - I am already sold on Soft Snow, hook, line, and sinker - just trying to be reasonable about my pen/ink budget before I pull the trigger, maybe late this year. 

Might visit family in the US next year so I'll likely make a big sample order from Vanness to receive when I am there. 

It is interesting that you see Purple Rock as more blue than purple.  That is what I would say about Barossa Grape.  I have Barossa Grape and Purple Rock in pens right now, and as I look at them side by side, Purple Rock is much purpler than Barossa Grape 

Yesterday I put the sample I received in a Platinum pocket pen with a fine nib and it's definitely a purplish blue slate-like color - I tried a few different papers. After taking into account your description and looking at online pics I think the sample must have been mislabeled. It looks fantastic in the Platinum and unique among the inks I have so it's a bit frustrating to not know what the ink actually is!

UPDATE: Based mainly on @DrDebG's findings in her review post, I believe I might have Purple Jazz, not what was labelled as Purple Rock. 

Edited by PithyProlix
updated

This week.... "Sailor - Manyo Nekoyanagi".

EDIT: "Troublemaker - Milky Ocean" is definitely a better and more lubricated chromo-shading ink... 😒

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

I've been using PR Ebony Purple in my Wing Sung 601 (with replaced mini-fude nib instead of factory nib). It's a wonderful combination: The ink is more lubricated than Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, and also comes out looking simultaneously blacker but still allows for a tiny hint of blue-tinted purple to be visible in the right light. I borrowed a couple of fills from an office mate some years ago for a Pilot Metropolitan (F nib) and liked it, but I foolishly did not buy a bottle, even though the local pen shop had one, because I counted on continuing to borrow it from my office mate. Then I got a new job on a different continent and only now am I using it again from a sample kindly provided by @goodpens. I'm enjoying it just as much the second time. What a great ink!

On 7/5/2021 at 3:19 PM, PithyProlix said:

UPDATE: Based mainly on @DrDebG's findings in her review post, I believe I might have Purple Jazz, not what was labelled as Purple Rock. 

Many years have passed since the last time I had five pens inked, but I just received my first notebook containing Cosmo Air Light paper and wanted to do some testing, mostly to see whether my two Robert Oster inks would stay purple, as opposed to turning green or blue, but also to see how my favorite ink, Sailor Kobe Suma Purple, would look on the new paper. 

The good news (to me) is that Robert Oster Purple Rock, Robert Oster Barossa Grape, Sailor Kobe Suma Purple, and J Herbin Cacao du Bresil all reveal their underlying purple on Cosmo Air Light!  Huzzah!  

In addition to those inks, I am still using Sailor Kobe Taisanji Yellow in my Sailor Pro Gear Slim B and Kuretake dye-based black ink my Kuretake #8 brush pen.  

On 7/6/2021 at 1:35 PM, Detman101 said:

This week.... "Sailor - Manyo Nekoyanagi".

EDIT: "Troublemaker - Milky Ocean" is definitely a better and more lubricated chromo-shading ink... 😒

Funnily enough, I just switched one of my Opus 88s from Nekoyanagi to Troublemaker Foxglove, and whilst it's very nicely behaved, a tiny drop of flow aid has turned it from nice to delicious! 

I'm just about at the point where I add just a little bit to pretty much all of my multichromatic inks, even in wet pens with big fat nibs.

14 hours ago, ENewton said:

Many years have passed since the last time I had five pens inked, but I just received my first notebook containing Cosmo Air Light paper and wanted to do some testing, mostly to see whether my two Robert Oster inks would stay purple, as opposed to turning green or blue, but also to see how my favorite ink, Sailor Kobe Suma Purple, would look on the new paper. 

The good news (to me) is that Robert Oster Purple Rock, Robert Oster Barossa Grape, Sailor Kobe Suma Purple, and J Herbin Cacao du Bresil all reveal their underlying purple on Cosmo Air Light!  Huzzah!  

In addition to those inks, I am still using Sailor Kobe Taisanji Yellow in my Sailor Pro Gear Slim B and Kuretake dye-based black ink my Kuretake #8 brush pen.  

Great! I will be Interested to see if an Oster ink displaces one of your top 10...

On 7/9/2021 at 9:23 PM, mizgeorge said:

Funnily enough, I just switched one of my Opus 88s from Nekoyanagi to Troublemaker Foxglove, and whilst it's very nicely behaved, a tiny drop of flow aid has turned it from nice to delicious! 

I'm just about at the point where I add just a little bit to pretty much all of my multichromatic inks, even in wet pens with big fat nibs.

I'm finding this to be my standard procedure as well. I've gotten used to the slightly wetter flow of this SODF nib and now I look for that juiciness with every ink I load up.
I've taken your advice of "Use a paper-clip tip worth of the 'lightning' in your ink load" with almost every load I put in for my multichromatics as well as some straight inks that are drier.
And thank you so much...that is the perfect amount for my Opus-88 and a half-full reservoir of ink...which lasts me exactly one week with regular writing! :)

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Today was

• TAG Stationery Kyo-no-oto Ochiguriiro (slightly grey chocolate brown) in a Platinum 'short long' pocket pen, fine nib
  • L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Cassis (purple grey) in a Platinum 'short long' pocket pen, medium fine nib

Just started using Ochiguriiro yesterday - it quite wet and lubricated relative to the other TAG Stationery inks I have. I am not totally in love with the color but I am totally 'in like' with it. The color does not go too dark in a fine nib so that's a big plus but I suspect this color will look better in a wider nib. 

Pennonia Roka Koma Orange in my Orange Al-Star

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

25 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

Today was

• TAG Stationery Kyo-no-oto Ochiguriiro (slightly grey chocolate brown) in a Platinum 'short long' pocket pen, fine nib
  • L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Cassis (purple grey) in a Platinum 'short long' pocket pen, medium fine nib

Just started using Ochiguriiro yesterday - it quite wet and lubricated relative to the other TAG Stationery inks I have. I am not totally in love with the color but I am totally 'in like' with it. The color does not go too dark in a fine nib so that's a big plus but I suspect this color will look better in a wider nib. 

Cassis is very tempting.

21 hours ago, ENewton said:

Cassis is very tempting.

As purple greys go it's very grey and dark - the purple cast is very subtle - and has a very serious look to it. Very much like the blackcurrant berries for which it is named. It might be used as a stealth black. I am planning to try a mix with Callifolio Violet to see if I can get something a bit lighter and with a more obvious purple cast.

For purple greys I am enjoying both Diamine Vivaldi and Kobe Tamon Purple Grey very, very much.

Switched up to "Yoseka - Origin .01" for some lovely green this week while waiting for my order of

"Sailor Ink Studio - 162" to come in.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

I inked up my Pilot Parallels with my Jacques Herbin sparkly inks. I’ve collected them all as they’ve come out. I love this line, except for the orange one. I can’t seem to love any orange ink that doesn’t have some red to yellow shading. Am I missing something?

• 3 weeks later...

In my fountain pens, I am still using:

• Kobe Suma Purple in a Parker 51 F
  • J Herbin Cacao du Bresil in a Parker Victory Mk 1 semi flexible extra fine
  • Robert Oster Purple Rock in a Shaeffer School Pen M
  • Kobe Taisanji Yellow in a Sailor Pro Gear Slim Purple Cosmos B

But having exhausted the cartridges that came with my Kuretake #8 brush pen, yesterday I switched to my new bottle of TAG Kyoto Nurebairo.  I cannot imagine using black ink for routine writing, but for kana calligraphy practice, it seems appropriate.  So far I have used only copy paper, which would not reveal the sheen, but I plan to try other papers within the next few days.