Which Inks Are You Using Today?

Sagar_C

3 hours ago, ENewton said:

Well, I'm back from my one-week trip, during which I carried only the Parker 51 with Barossa Grape.

I wrote with the pen every day, although not much, typically only a paragraph or two.

When not in use, the pen was in an upright position, in the outer pocket of my handbag.

I experienced hard starts on three or four days during the week.  On each occasion, I first gave the pen a little shake, but to no avail.  Then I ran a bit of water on the nib and tried scribbling on the most absorbent paper handy.  If scribbling did not yield quick results (which it usually didn't), I would touch the nib to a napkin or a paper towel, then switch to paper once the ink had started flowing.

On this basis, I suppose I won't use this ink in the Parker again.  The pen has given me no trouble with any other ink, including Oster Purple Rock.  As for Barossa Grape, I can always use it in my Sailor broad. 

Thank you very much for the report - it's good information to know. I hope that that the color and performance were good once the ink started flowing. Even though it works well in my Sailor Somiko I'm planning to experiment with it in some other fine-nibbed pens because that's my preferred width for normal writing, which is cursive.

I've heard a lot of people claim that Parker 51s are robust to many inks but, in my experience, they are not. I think that they are extremely reliable - maybe as reliable as any pen - with many inks, particularly Parker, Waterman, and others, but can be finnicky with some. I have a really great Burgundy P51 that I keep inked with L'Artisan Pastellier Bourgogne: it's close to a perfect match - not only pen color to ink color but it lays down just the right amount of ink in my preferred fine line to get just the right shade of color. But it almost always hard starts with this ink and not the couple others I've tried it with - I just have to keep a cup of water on my desk ...

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• ENewton

• amberleadavis

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still using the Akkerman #23 Bekakt Haags in the Edison Beaumont.

But was intrigued by various folks suggestions in the what is Your Favorite Blue Ink thread. I know what my favorites are, they get used often. But what about inks that I rarely use, though that has nothing to do with their being good inks? Someone mentioned Iroshizuku Asa-gao and Tsuki-yo. I knew I had those, but I looked in the box and there was also Kon-peki, a wonderful Royal Blue. So that's the blue that loaded up the Edison Collier "Metallurgy".

IMG_644888183.jpg

On 6/8/2021 at 10:47 PM, white_lotus said:

Still using the Akkerman #23 Bekakt Haags in the Edison Beaumont.

But was intrigued by various folks suggestions in the what is Your Favorite Blue Ink thread. I know what my favorites are, they get used often. But what about inks that I rarely use, though that has nothing to do with their being good inks? Someone mentioned Iroshizuku Asa-gao and Tsuki-yo. I knew I had those, but I looked in the box and there was also Kon-peki, a wonderful Royal Blue. So that's the blue that loaded up the Edison Collier "Metallurgy".

IMG_644888183.jpg

Oh man...you're tempting me hardcore. 😆
Lol, I'd planned to load up a nice chromo-shading brown ink after this fill of "Vinta - Sirena"....but I may have to load up some Kon-Peki and get back to basics for a month. That just looks soooo good.

EDIT: just found out a pen-friend is sending a sample of "Troublemaker - Milky Ocean" so I'll be abstaining switching inks until that arrives...and then I'll be in a beautifully blue MILKY OCEAN 😆

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

We're here to enable! I usually go for the dark blues, but once ink hit paper I was like "This is really nice." Enjoy.

So far today it's been diluted Lamy Benetoite, in the French Blue Safari (F nib), and Pelikan 4001 Violet, in the M120 Iconic Blue, M nib.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Cleaned all my pens yesterday, and loaded up four:

Kaweco Sport V16 with Diamine Onyx Black

Franklin-Christoph 45L, with Parker Quink Blue Black (looking very light in this pen, not sure what's going on there)

Pelikan 120 with Iroshizuku Ajisai mixed with something else; this was a PIF and it's a really pretty purple

Esterbrook J with Iroshizuku Asa-Gao, the dregs of a Goulet sample

large.965B252D-FF2F-45E5-B35A-CA9E192EB2BC.jpeg.b0560d020d76bb9463b8d2ad73551b22.jpeg

• Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu, in a Platinum 3776 Nice Lavande
  • Robert Oster Barossa Grape, in a Parker 51 Demi Plum
  • Platinum Black (not Carbon Black) in a Kuretake #8 Brush Pen

Monteverde 2020 DC Supershow Classic Blue.  Long name for a small bottle. 

• A purple ink, presumably from Platinum, that came in a cartridge installed in an old Platinum pocket pen. The ink was dried out and I reconstituted it with some water. A beautiful ink - goes on a blue-leaning dark purple and dries to a red-leaning dark purple. Does anyone know anything about vintage Platinum inks?
  • Parker Quink Blue Black that's aged to a dark teal in the cartridge that came with a red Parker 45 I just received today.
  • Robert Oster Barossa Grape in a green Parker 45.

Herbin Perle Noire in a Pilot Metropolitan, and Montblanc midnight blue (new) in a Kanwrite Heritage.

Welp...couldn't wait for the "Troublemaker - Milky Ocean" and have been jonesing for blue for a few days now after being "Pen-abled" by @white_lotus
😆 Soooo...Kon-Peki it is!

Image (18).jpg

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

The Iro. Kon-peki still in use. But it has company with the Pelikan M200 Brown Marbled filled with Ishida Bungu (Sailor) Hakodate gagome.

Pelikan 4001 Violet (finishing the fill in the M120 Iconic Blue, M nib.

diluted Lamy Benetoite (finishing the fill in the French Blue Safari, F nib).

Monteverde Mulberry Noir (the inaugural fill in my newest pen, the Sheaffer Star Wars Yoda nib, M nib).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I too have switched to Brown...
A mixture of "Diamine - Raw Sienna" and "Penbbs - #392" to express the sadness and sour pain in my heart.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

10 hours ago, Detman101 said:

I too have switched to Brown...
A mixture of "Diamine - Raw Sienna" and "Penbbs - #392" to express the sadness and sour pain in my heart.

May your grief soon be assuaged.

I finally finished my spring fill of Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu yesterday evening.

Today I am using Robert Oster Barossa Grape in both a Parker 51 Plum Demi (fine) and a Peyton Street Pen Works prototype (medium CI).  

I have also inked my Parker Victory (semi flex XF) with J Herbin Cacao du Bresil.

In addition, I am using the Kuretake-branded ink that came with my Kuretake #8 brush pen.  

• 3 weeks later...

Today I spent some time figuring out what inks to use in my planner. I wanted to use laid-back but distinctive secondary colors, ideally all from different companies in different countries. Here's what I have landed on:

• To Dos in orange: L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Aurora (Jasper Red Quartz Parker 180 - using the medium side of the double-sided nib but it writes like a Western fine)
  • Notes on what I did in green: TAG Stationery Kyo-no-oto Urahairo (Teal Parker 51 Special - extrafine, I think, but wet so more like a Western fine)
  • Ideas in purple: Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa (Black Pilot Grandam - soft fine)
  • Other notes/general writing/etc. in a 'neutral' color: the grey/tan/sepia PenBBS #390 Guilin (Black Sailor 'short/long' pocket pen - fine)

7 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

• Ideas in purple: Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa (Black Pilot Grandam - soft fine)

I hope the Pilot Grandam will show Scabiosa to advantage.  What kind of paper does your planner have in it?

26 minutes ago, ENewton said:

I hope the Pilot Grandam will show Scabiosa to advantage.  What kind of paper does your planner have in it?

Yes, that Pilot seems to work very well with it, especially after I cleaned the tine gap today to increase the flow a little and eliminate some skipping problems it was having. It's a Hobonichi Techo planner - it has Tomoe River 52gsm.

By the way, now that I'm back to using Scabiosa, I'm finding that it is fairly similar to Oster Barossa Grape, close enough that I think I will skip a purchasing a bottle. (I think I am zeroing in on Sydney Lavender as my next purple Oster ink.)