Which Inks Are You Using Today?

Sagar_C

Another Noodler's Standard Ink that I took one pen fill of and never used again: Noodler's Kiowa Pecan in my Pelikan M800 Brown and Black with a stock IB nib. There's a bit of shading, but I think I prefer Pelikan's  4001 Brilliant Brown as Pelikan inks seem to be less problematic. To be fair, the Noodler's seem okay if I stick to piston rather than ink bladder pens. I really need to downsize my ink collection. (I think I've written that about a dozen times already.)

Here it is on blue paper in a Graphic Image journal:

IMG_2404.thumb.jpeg.5383401c455833d2028ee82480c888b3.jpeg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• ENewton

• amberleadavis

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOOHOO!!!
Finally using my "Yoseka - Origin .01" ink now that it's arrived in the mail!

Image (13).jpg

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

On 5/25/2021 at 5:53 PM, Detman101 said:

WOOHOO!!!
I'm finally using my YOSEKA Stationery - Origin .01 !!!!!

It arrived today and it's sooooo amazingly perfect!!!
I knew it would be special when I first saw it!!
😍

Yoseka - Origin 01-3.jpg

Oh that does look like a nice green!

Hopefully next winter, when I'm doing the "visit the in-laws" thing, I will get a chance to check out their store.

Today, it's been a variety of inks:

1) The journal entry this morning was with Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black (in the M405 Streseman, B nib).

2) Finished my test (FINALLY) of Birmingham Pens Herbert Simon Cranberry Nobel (in one of the Parker Vector Geometrics, F nib).

3) Paid a few bills, using Sailor Souboku, in the silver color Pilot Metropolitan, M nib.

4) Wrote a shopping list for myself, using diluted Lamy Crystal Benetoite, in the French Blue Lamy Safari, F nib.

Later this evening I'm going to (now that the test of Cranberry Nobel is finished) be starting checking out another ink -- either Sailor Manyo Kakitsubata (in the Azure al-Star, M nib) or (I think) Sailor US Series Pennsylvania (in the 1911S Loch Ness monster, MF nib).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Today I am continuing to use Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu, which is behaving beautifully, as always..

I have also inked up a Parker 51 with Barossa Grape in preparation for a trip on which I am embarking on Saturday.  The Parker 51 writes wet enough to give me a dark line but not to compensate for the dry feel of the ink, and I experienced a hard start just a few hours after filling the pen.

15 minutes ago, ENewton said:

Today I am continuing to use Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu, which is behaving beautifully, as always..

I have also inked up a Parker 51 with Barossa Grape in preparation for a trip on which I am embarking on Saturday.  The Parker 51 writes wet enough to give me a dark line but not to compensate for the dry feel of the ink, and I experienced a hard start just a few hours after filling the pen.

I'd dump out the Barossa Grape *which I think is a very cool color* for the Tamon Gray (oh wait, that was the ink I thought you were talking about, now I need to go look up Suma Purple).  Anyway, bummer about the hard start.

2 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

I'd dump out the Barossa Grape *which I think is a very cool color* for the Tamon Gray (oh wait, that was the ink I thought you were talking about, now I need to go look up Suma Purple).  Anyway, bummer about the hard start.

In what pens have you liked Barossa Grape?  It works well in my Sailor broad, but I've been wanting to put it through its paces in other wet pens.

3 hours ago, ENewton said:

Please let us know how Barossa Grape works out in your P51 after you've had a chance to use it a while. Right now I have it in a old Sailor Somiko with a 'TiGP' nib - M, I guess - which writes quite wet and haven't experienced any performance issues. I love the color and imagine I will end up buying a bottle of it eventually.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

8 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Please let us know how Barossa Grape works out in your P51 after you've had a chance to use it a while. Right now I have it in a old Sailor Somiko with a 'TiGP' nib - M, I guess - which writes quite wet and haven't experienced any performance issues. I love the color and imagine I will end up buying a bottle of it eventually.

I waited for years to buy a bottle of Barossa Grape, because the sample I bought when the ink first came out produced such a weak line in pen after pen, but inspired by recent posts, I reconsidered, determined to find one or more pens in which the ink would work well.  Happily, it gave me no problems in my Sailor Pro Gear Slim B.  As for the Parker 51, after another hard start yesterday evening, I decided to refill the pen, thinking that maybe I had not completely filled it yesterday morning.  

I should be able to provide a more meaningful report after traveling for a week with only the one pen in my bag. 

@amberleadavisI like Benetoite a lot.  It's a nice dark blue that seems to have some water resistance.  And it was the ink that I used to inaugurate the (used) French Blue Safari, and I liked the combo so much (including look of the dark blue coming out of that bright blue pen with the black nib) I kept just refilling it for a couple of months (and then more recently refilled the pen with distilled water because I was too lazy to flush, and I'm finally finishing up that fill -- and even diluted it was a nice color (the pen has an F nib on it).

I wouldn't call the Birmingham inks I've tried overly wet, but they do flow well, and are still moderately saturated (they give good shading but aren't overly dry the way some super shaders like Diamine Presidential Blue) -- and I wouldn't hesitate to put them in vintage pens (I think I've used Schenley Park Thicket Green, for example, in the Sheaffer Balance Oversize that had been my husband's grandfather's pen).

But most of the Birmingham inks I have are from a couple of years ago -- I haven't really tried any of their current lineup.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Inked up a couple of new arrivals this evening:

• Montblanc Mystery Black - Sheaffer Targa
  • Montblanc Mysterious Blue - Sheaffer Snorkel

I have also inked at the moment:

• Ariel Blue - Sheaffer PFM III
  • Edelstein Sapphire - Parker 45 Desk Pen

I really don't need two royal blues inked up, though each ink is really a treat with those pens. I need to load up something with Toffee Brown or SBRE Brown, I think. . .

I used just one pen today. It’s a yellow Pilot Prera with a M calligraphy nib, filled with Visconti Bordeaux.

Posted Image

I received 4 'empty' Sailor Jentle bottles, with the separate reservoirs included, which all had a bit of dried ink so I reconstituted them with a bit of water: Souten, Oku-Yama, Miruai, and Shigure. Unfortunately, I put too much water in Shigure, which happens to be the one I am most interested in, so I will leave the bottle open to allow the water to evaporate until it gets back to something close to its original color - it's writing as a mauve now. Sort of a fun way to play with some inks I have had no previous experience with. Dip pens for now - I will fill a pen with Shigure after enough water has evaporated but not the other three inks.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

5 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

I received 4 'empty' Sailor Jentle bottles, with the separate reservoirs included, which all had a bit of dried ink so I reconstituted them with a bit of water: Souten, Oku-Yama, Miruai, and Shigure. Unfortunately, I put too much water in Shigure, which happens to be the one I am most interested in, so I will leave the bottle open to allow the water to evaporate until it gets back to something close to its original color - it's writing as a mauve now. Sort of a fun way to play with some inks I have had no previous experience with. Dip pens for now - I will fill a pen with Shigure after enough water has evaporated but not the other three inks.

Shigure is a very attractive ink that I would not hesitate to use in any cartridge/converter pen.  I hope you will enjoy it.

Akkerman #23 Bekakt Haags into the Edison Beaumont pneumatic.

KWZ Chicago Blue into the Edison Brockton.

Quink Blue Black in a Leonardo Speranza

Iroshizuku ama iro in a Platinum 3776

Montblance Emerald in an Onoto Magna Classic :happyberet:

✒️ :happyberet:

On 5/27/2021 at 10:03 PM, PithyProlix said:

Well, I'm back from my one-week trip, during which I carried only the Parker 51 with Barossa Grape.

I wrote with the pen every day, although not much, typically only a paragraph or two.

When not in use, the pen was in an upright position, in the outer pocket of my handbag.

I experienced hard starts on three or four days during the week.  On each occasion, I first gave the pen a little shake, but to no avail.  Then I ran a bit of water on the nib and tried scribbling on the most absorbent paper handy.  If scribbling did not yield quick results (which it usually didn't), I would touch the nib to a napkin or a paper towel, then switch to paper once the ink had started flowing.

On this basis, I suppose I won't use this ink in the Parker again.  The pen has given me no trouble with any other ink, including Oster Purple Rock.  As for Barossa Grape, I can always use it in my Sailor broad.