Jump to content

Which Inks Are You Using Today?



Rate Topic 1
 

Recommended Posts

brokenclay

Colorverse Black Hole in a new (to me) Retro 51 Tornado Lincoln. This ink stays wet and shiny for days. I've learned to always have blotting paper on hand when I use it (left handed overwriter).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • inkstainedruth

    193

  • ENewton

    168

  • chromantic

    153

  • amberleadavis

    132

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NumberSix

Trying out Platinum Carbon Black for the first time, in a brand new PenBBS 480. 

 

Silky smooth and black black black. We'll see how it looks in the morning, but so far we're on a solid start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

And this is the orange ink that I usually reach for. I like the shading:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_j-v9C2Pm9uA/SeI2JrhxAjI/AAAAAAAABiY/Wz-_Qa7_teI/s1600-h/Noodlers+Apache+Sunset.jpg


I have played with Apache Sunset, and I get why people like it. It is quite striking in its shading. For a title or a highlight, it attracts attention for sure. For regular text, it makes me crazy. Orange is already usually a tough read. Orange that shades to yellow is for me even worse. It is one of the reasons I don’t like Edelstein Mandarin: it starts out as maybe a decent orange, then it shades away into nothingness (as far as I am concerned).

 

Find me an orange that is as saturated and stable as that Waterman Havana, and I’ll be interested!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
gorneaux

Finally got a bottle of Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo, along with a Pilot Custom 74 (Violet), and it's a winning combo. I'm writing on everything. Also doing a bit of work with Namiki Black in my Sailor 1911L and, my other new ink obsession over the last few weeks, J. Herbin Bleu Nuit (in a Noodler's Ahab—don't judge—love the nib).

I've really become disenchanted with anything teal or turquoise for the past couple of years—you know how one goes through phases with inks. But since I got a sample of Tsuki-yo I'm convinced (for the moment) that this is the greatest ink in the world. Had to grab a bottle. It's got great flow, it shades like a mofo, its teal-ishness has a real mystery to it, yet it's also professional. Just brilliant. 

Also in that order, which came in yesterday from Pen Boutique: A sky blue Itoya Profolio B5 notebook—loving it—and that gorgeous 100th Anniversary bottle of Aurora Blue. Haven't inked anything up with it, that's for next week.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to get all this off my chest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, gorneaux said:

Finally got a bottle of Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo, along with a Pilot Custom 74 (Violet), and it's a winning combo. I'm writing on everything. Also doing a bit of work with Namiki Black in my Sailor 1911L and, my other new ink obsession over the last few weeks, J. Herbin Bleu Nuit (in a Noodler's Ahab—don't judge—love the nib).

I've really become disenchanted with anything teal or turquoise for the past couple of years—you know how one goes through phases with inks. But since I got a sample of Tsuki-yo I'm convinced (for the moment) that this is the greatest ink in the world. Had to grab a bottle. It's got great flow, it shades like a mofo, its teal-ishness has a real mystery to it, yet it's also professional. Just brilliant. 

Also in that orde, which came in yesterday from Pen Boutique: A sky blue Itoya Profolio B5 notebook—loving it—and that gorgeous 100th Anniversary bottle of Aurora Blue. Haven't inked anything up with it, that's for next week.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to get all this off my chest. 


Oh, go on! Don’t hold back! Tell us how you really feel...

 

I suspect there are many of us here who get excited about new ink.  I find inks fun to explore (says the guy who wrote exclusively with blue or black for 20 years).


It is especially rewarding when the new ink is as interesting or more so than expected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just inked up an ink from Tono & Lims that I just received called Sachertorte, a saturated, chocolatey brown that lives up to its namesake.  So far it’s been well behaved, wet, and lubricated without any significant feathering/ghosting/bleed through on cheap paper.  It’s the first from this ink manufacturer that I’ve tried, and I’m pleased so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
NumberSix

Last night, I inked up four new PenBBS pens.

 

Pilot Blue-Black - 456

4001 Royal Blue - 355

Platinum Carbon Black - 480

Sailor 50 States Delaware - 500

 

All but the 4001 Blue are new to me. I got one of those cute little Pilot bottles for $7 on amazon, to try it out. I already love it, and I can see myself getting a 350ml bottle and then just refilling this little bottle over and over. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
gorneaux
29 minutes ago, NumberSix said:

I got one of those cute little Pilot bottles for $7 on amazon, to try it out. I already love it, and I can see myself getting a 350ml bottle and then just refilling this little bottle over and over. 

 


Pilot ink is so good, easy to forget how strong their bottle game is. The Namiki 60 ml, Iroshizuku 50 ml, and Pilot 30 ml should all be in the MOMA Design wing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
DilettanteG
11 hours ago, N1003U said:


I have played with Apache Sunset, and I get why people like it. It is quite striking in its shading. For a title or a highlight, it attracts attention for sure. For regular text, it makes me crazy. Orange is already usually a tough read. Orange that shades to yellow is for me even worse. It is one of the reasons I don’t like Edelstein Mandarin: it starts out as maybe a decent orange, then it shades away into nothingness (as far as I am concerned).

 

Find me an orange that is as saturated and stable as that Waterman Havana, and I’ll be interested!

 

Have you tried Diamine Ancient Copper or Diamine for Cult Pen's Deep Dark Orange? They might be a little more up your alley.

Link to post
Share on other sites
DilettanteG
11 hours ago, gorneaux said:

Finally got a bottle of Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo, along with a Pilot Custom 74 (Violet), and it's a winning combo. I'm writing on everything. Also doing a bit of work with Namiki Black in my Sailor 1911L and, my other new ink obsession over the last few weeks, J. Herbin Bleu Nuit (in a Noodler's Ahab—don't judge—love the nib).

I've really become disenchanted with anything teal or turquoise for the past couple of years—you know how one goes through phases with inks. But since I got a sample of Tsuki-yo I'm convinced (for the moment) that this is the greatest ink in the world. Had to grab a bottle. It's got great flow, it shades like a mofo, its teal-ishness has a real mystery to it, yet it's also professional. Just brilliant. 

Also in that order, which came in yesterday from Pen Boutique: A sky blue Itoya Profolio B5 notebook—loving it—and that gorgeous 100th Anniversary bottle of Aurora Blue. Haven't inked anything up with it, that's for next week.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to get all this off my chest. 

Have you tried Noodler's Beaver? It's a dark brown ink with a teal base. Admittedly, I'm a huge teal fan, but I just really enjoy its undertones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
NumberSix
55 minutes ago, gorneaux said:


Pilot ink is so good, easy to forget how strong their bottle game is. The Namiki 60 ml, Iroshizuku 50 ml, and Pilot 30 ml should all be in the MOMA Design wing.

So true!

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DilettanteG said:

Have you tried Diamine Ancient Copper or Diamine for Cult Pen's Deep Dark Orange? They might be a little more up your alley.

I will look into Deep Dark Orange. It sounds interesting. I have not tried it yet.

 

Ancient Copper is one of the few inks that goes into my “nuclear football”—it is never more than 30 seconds out of my reach. I have a pen inked with Ancient Copper continuously. In case of crisis, I can order a massive launch of Ancient Copper-colored correspondence. Yes, one of my very favorites, but on the papers I use, it is to me more of a brown that shades red than orange.

 

I currently have in my inventory 146ml of Ancient Copper, stored in multiple bottles on two continents, plus a full Lamy Studio (for tactical notes), and a full Pilot Custom 823 (for long strategic missives).

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DilettanteG said:

Have you tried Diamine Ancient Copper or Diamine for Cult Pen's Deep Dark Orange? They might be a little more up your alley.

I just looked up a couple of reviews of Deep Dark Orange, and it seems not far away from Ancient Copper (both in color and shading); perhaps a bit more in the yellow direction, that gives it the orange hue. I think I really need to see it in person, but on first electronic inspection, it is attractive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
gorneaux
47 minutes ago, DilettanteG said:

Have you tried Noodler's Beaver?

 

Hmm, is that something you can even say in public?
 

Quote

It's a dark brown ink with a teal base. Admittedly, I'm a huge teal fan, but I just really enjoy its undertones.


Thought I knew most Noodler's inks, but it's my first time hearing about Beaver. Will definitely check it out. Thank you!
(And this is why FPN is the greatest.)

EDIT: Took a look at the ink. Definitely in my preference range. Looks a lot like Diamine Rustic Brown, which I also love. Not so much seeing the teal base, but I'll pick some up and investigate. Thanks again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
DilettanteG
4 hours ago, gorneaux said:

 

Hmm, is that something you can even say in public?
 

 

I see what you did there.

 

Today is Pelikan Edelstein Olivine in my Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. Perfect match!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still using TAG Kyoto Soft Snow of Ohara in my Sailor 1911S and J Herbin Amethyste de l'Oural in my Shaeffer Viewpoints calligraphy pen, but I have also written a little bit with Birmingham Allegheny River Twilight (which I plan to do every Sunday until I perceive significant evaporation).

Link to post
Share on other sites
white_lotus

The main new ink is Sailor Kingdom Note Chrysaora helvola from the Jellyfish Series in the Pelikan M200 Cafe Creme. I'd originally tried Akkerman Hopjesbruin but that was a bit too light for some reason in this pen. Both inks appear darker in this iPhone image than on the page. 

 

 

IMG_632155952.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
DilettanteG

I opened my twenty year old bottle of Private Reserve Sherwood Green and out wafted an extremely acrid smell. After all these years of collecting I think I’ve just encountered my first bad bottle. I tried filling a pen with it, but it kept skipping on the downstroke. So, into the trash it goes. A shame as it’s a lovely color.

 

Edited to add: Cleaned the stinky, skipping Sherwood Green out of my Pelikan Green M800 with a 14ft medium nib and refilled it with some Caran d'Ache Amazon. I would have preferred my Parker Penman Emerald, but it's evaporated and I need to try reconstituting it first. I guess this is a lesson that I need to stop trying to hoard inks like they're liquid gold.

 

Amazon.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...