Which Inks Are You Using Today?

Sagar_C

6 hours ago, Misfit said:

Here is some writing with the Tungsten Violet (Franklin D Roosevelt) ink by De Atramentis. 

024ED674-9A96-4428-91BF-F0DB55319EA1.jpeg

825EEA82-2E96-4E4A-B34A-73821C92F2B2.jpeg

Very attractive!  Thank you for posting this image.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• ENewton

• amberleadavis

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Bah! I wanted that one to be a usable ink. Given the history it could be due to some animosity from a certain Yankee. 😉

Thanks for the warning.

My problem with American Aristocracy was that three different formulations were being marketed concurrently -- but there was no indication as to which batch was which.  And I ended up with one of the more brown-leaning versions.  Not with the interesting dark purple version.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

9 hours ago, Misfit said:

Here is some writing with the Tungsten Violet (Franklin D Roosevelt) ink by De Atramentis. 

024ED674-9A96-4428-91BF-F0DB55319EA1.jpeg

825EEA82-2E96-4E4A-B34A-73821C92F2B2.jpeg

:o
Holy smokes...your writing looks soooo familiar....
So very similar to @amberleadavis it's giving me goosebumps.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Hi,

well the last days these ones:

Diamine Registrar's in a Swan 3003 (EF/F stub eyedropper, ca. 1910), cold black,

Gutenberg G 10 from a Swan 3012 ( stubby F flex eyedropper, 1915), sepia black.

and a Swan 3202 with a great cursive italic (0.36mm) filled by ESSRI.

At the moment my thin and oldest pens get used most...

Best wishes

Jens

• Barossa Grape in a Waterman Man 100 Opera extra fine and a Parker 51 fine.  Both pens are wet enough to produce a legible line, which is dusty blue or purple depending on the paper.  Comparisons with Rohrer and Klingner iron-gall inks are understandable, although Barossa Grape is not an iron gall ink.
  • TAG Kyoto Nurebairo in a Kuretake #8 brush pen.  I have never used black ink in a fountain pen but find Nurebairo a more convenient alternative to Sumi ink for daily kana calligraphy practice.  

1 hour ago, ENewton said:
  • Barossa Grape in a Waterman Man 100 Opera extra fine and a Parker 51 fine.  Both pens are wet enough to produce a legible line, which is dusty blue or purple depending on the paper.  Comparisons with Rohrer and Klingner iron-gall inks are understandable, although Barossa Grape is not an iron gall ink.
  • TAG Kyoto Nurebairo in a Kuretake #8 brush pen.  I have never used black ink in a fountain pen but find Nurebairo a more convenient alternative to Sumi ink for daily kana calligraphy practice.  

I am a little surprised by the blue color from Barossa Grape, which has appeared a very definitely red-leaning purple on the various papers I have tried it with, not unlike the color of R&K Scabiosa. May I ask, on which paper does it appear blue? 

Incidentally, today was a Scabiosa day for me (Pilot Grandam, SF nib), after finishing off a small fill of Barossa Grape (Parker 45 XF). I think I am almost through with my Barossa Grape sample. 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

6 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

I am a little surprised by the blue color from Barossa Grape, which has appeared a very definitely red-leaning purple on the various papers I have tried it with, not unlike the color of R&K Scabiosa. May I ask, on which paper does it appear blue? 

For me, it hasn't leaned red on any paper, but it dries bluer than it does purple on Tomoe River and HP Multipurpose printer paper.  

A great reference (as always) is Visvamitra's review:

My results are less saturated than those he shows, given that I use narrower nibs, but his indicated color-picker value of rgb (93, 89, 126) does not surprise me.

On some papers, I see more red as the ink goes down, but it subsides within seconds. 

For Barossa Grape to lean bluer than Scabiosa is fortunately exactly what I would want.  I already have a bottle of Scabiosa and had hoped to find some ink that was similar in effect but bluer on the continuum of purples.    

12 minutes ago, ENewton said:

For Barossa Grape to lean bluer than Scabiosa is fortunately exactly what I would want.  I already have a bottle of Scabiosa and had hoped to find some ink that was similar in effect but bluer on the continuum of purples.    

Hi,

have you tried to add some Salix (maybe 20%) to your Scabiosa?

I once made a blueberry colored 1:1 mix...

Greetings

Jens

1 minute ago, Schaumburg_Swan said:

Hi,

have you tried to add some Salix (maybe 20%) to your Scabiosa?

I once made a blueberry colored 1:1 mix...

Greetings

Jens

Thank you for the idea, but I do not own Salix (or any other blue ink).  Fortunately, now that I have found a few pens in which Barossa Grape provides satisfying results, I am glad to think of it as my bluer parallel to Scabiosa.      

7 hours ago, ENewton said:

For me, it hasn't leaned red on any paper, but it dries bluer than it does purple on Tomoe River and HP Multipurpose printer paper.  

A great reference (as always) is Visvamitra's review:

My results are less saturated than those he shows, given that I use narrower nibs, but his indicated color-picker value of rgb (93, 89, 126) does not surprise me.

On some papers, I see more red as the ink goes down, but it subsides within seconds. 

Hmm - doesn't look like mine much at all. It's interesting that his paper towel chromatography looks like the reddish purple dominates the blue. 

Mine looks like the one in this picture, which is from post in a review of Kada Kada 

_: post-120761-0-36099900-1482214541_thumb.jpg  

And also closer to the swatch on Robert Oster's website: 

oster_purples.jpg.f89909edb2f01b49887402ffbfc12542.jpg

On 9/7/2021 at 5:25 PM, inkstainedruth said:

My problem with American Aristocracy was that three different formulations were being marketed concurrently -- but there was no indication as to which batch was which.  And I ended up with one of the more brown-leaning versions.  Not with the interesting dark purple version.

Similar issue for me. It's tough enough judging an ink from a review let alone having pot luck on which you get. That's why I was delighted to find in in a store with a swatch. At least I knew what colour I was buying.

I've plonked it in an Ahab and have noticed that using a gentle touch (no flex) it's behaving really well, no feathering. Phew. 🙂

Pilot Justus 95 - Birminghamn Tesla Coil

TWSBI Swipe - Voltic Arc

The Tesla Coil is fast becoming my favorite blue!

7 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Hmm - doesn't look like mine much at all. It's interesting that his paper towel chromatography looks like the reddish purple dominates the blue. 

Mine looks like the one in this picture, which is from post in a review of Kada Kada 

_: post-120761-0-36099900-1482214541_thumb.jpg  

And also closer to the swatch on Robert Oster's website: 

oster_purples.jpg.f89909edb2f01b49887402ffbfc12542.jpg

That's interesting.  I don't think one can attribute the difference to a reformulation, because my experience is based on a sample that I bought soon after the ink was introduced and a bottle that I bought just a few months ago.

Maybe there is significant variation from batch to batch.  That seems also to be true of some other Oster purples.  For example, see this review of Purple Jazz (formerly called Purple Soul), which shows a color markedly different from the swatch in the Yada Yada review:

36 minutes ago, ENewton said:

That's interesting.  I don't think one can attribute the difference to a reformulation, because my experience is based on a sample that I bought soon after the ink was introduced and a bottle that I bought just a few months ago.

Maybe there is significant variation from batch to batch.  That seems also to be true of some other Oster purples.  For example, see this review of Purple Jazz (formerly called Purple Soul), which shows a color markedly different from the swatch in the Yada Yada review:

Yes, I recall reading that review. I had a similar experience with a sample of Purple Rock. And none of the odd green you experienced with it, on the same paper as you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Conid Regular- Sailor Jentle Nioi-Sumire

M800 Stresemann- KWZ Thief's Red

The current setup

1. Conid Regular AntwerpPen/Naginata Cross Concord- Sailor Nioi-Sumire (two years and counting!)

2. 1920-something Wahl-Eversharp BCHR Oversize Gold Seal/Manifold- Aurora Black

3. Pelikan M800 Tortoise/O3B- Kobe Ginza gold sepia

1936 Vacumatic Oversize Brown Pearl- Rest in (several) pieces. You will be missed!

Robert Oster Barossa Grape in a Parker 51, nib width not marked

Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa in a Platinum Balance M 

Unfortunately, I am terrible at taking photographs and adjusting color.

20210922_081710.jpg.eaeb9f2fcd95862a06aef25a1061fb08.jpg

Still using Barossa Grape and Scabiosa and have added Diamine Grape and J Herbin Poussiere de Lune for comparison. 

Maybe my daughter will be willing to take a photograph for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Oster Barossa Grape

Diamine Grape

J Herbin Poussiere de Lune

Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa

Sailor Kobe Suma Purple

TAG Kyoto Soft Snow of Ohara

TAG Kyoto Nurebairo

MB Permanent Blue-Black, in the vibrant Pink al-Star, 1.1 mm stub.

KWZI Chicago Green LE, in the pink TWSBI 580-AL, B nib.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."