Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Best Fountain Pen For Fast Writing

acoleman12

I am a student and I love to write with fountain pens. I was just wondering what fountain pen you would say is best for fast and continuous writing. I would be looking to spend £100 and prefer vintage pens rather than modern ones.

I presume the smoothest pen would be the best. I have been looking at the Pelikan 400nn and Parker 51 so it would be great to get your opinions on these pens and suggestions of others.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• bogiesan

• Sasha Royale

• imadeadend

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick a light, plastic body (and cap, if you post), a nib on the firm side and a sizeable grip. Ink-flow should be good, not generous, and drying time should be short.

A vintage Sheaffer Imperial or Triumph Imperial with an inlaid or conical nib would be perfect. With a light hand, these pens zip across the page. It won't cost you the full 100 quid - far from it.

The Pelikan 400NN is not a good candidate. I can't speak re the P51.

Edited by whitedot

You might try searching for "student" in the subject. THere are many non-vintage and elatively inexpensive units markteted directly at students. Kaweco and Lamy, for instance, have entry-level pens that are highly regarded.

Taking my pens to school fun and I felt elegantly superior for a few seconds in every class. But there were moments of terror and frustration.I enjoyed note-taking and writing with Sheaffer's school series pens that I found in my wifes old art supply cabinets. I bought a couple of the more current school units and liked them, too. But I never took my nicer pens out of my bag at school because the floors are hard; should the pen fall it would most likely land on the nib and be destroyed.

I always packed mechanical pencils and gel or felt tip pens and I had a package of wet wipes in the same bag. I would often whip the cap off my Sheaffer only to find , too late, a drop or two of ink had exuded or been propelled from the feed. The ink might fly, that was bad enough, but, with the black sections, I could not see the ink and would end up with those avoidably ridiculous stains on my fingers. I had to form the habit of carefully initiating the fountain pen sequence. I also had to find one type of paper and stick with it or I was changing how I addressed the surface. I had to carry a few cartridges, one of each color I had loaded.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I'd be wary of buying just the odd Parker 51, as 3 of mine have arrived with flat footed nibs that I've had to grind to be usable. Get one that's been restored by a reputable seller on the classifieds here if you want to guarantee quality.

May I offer an alternative for your 100 pounds: A Platinum 3776 Century. Perhaps even the Bourgogne version.

Every Platinum I own is a masterpiece (especially my President, my absolute favourite pen in my 100 strong collection). All of them never skipping or drying out, writing until the very last drop of ink is spent. They also tend to flow very consistently, a bit on the dry side, so your writing will dry quite quickly too if that interests you (but of course, this depends on the ink too).

Of course the Safari is a great choice, but if you're willing to spend more I would go a Lamy 2000. Very smooth, with a piston filling mechanism for a large ink capacity.

Visit my blog Pentorium!

The Parker 51 is a smooth-flowing, excellent writing pen that would serve any

fast-writer. I wish everybody had one. As a student, however, you won't

want to run out of ink in class.

Piston fill demostrator might be more practical, as you can see the ink supply.

Since you have a generous allotment for this task, go with the Parker 51. Fill

it everyday before going to class. It will serve you very well, in and out of

class, for fifty years.

You may forget to fill the Parker 51. As a contingency pen, that can be offered

as a loaner to a fellow student, without fear, I suggest keeping a Pilot Varsity

in your kit. (Two pounds sterling)

Best of luck in you studies.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

P-51 F....is a nail, one can keep the cap off with out it drying out fast.

The price of the P-51's seem to be sliding upwards.

Look for a pretty DJ Esterbrook, and buy a few nibs for it. I think Esteis can be had for $30, Nibs for $15 perhaps less. Since they doubled in price two years ago I stopped looking.

You can get nail, B, M or F or EF, regular flex also, and even slightly springy nibs...there is some 30 nibs one way or another.

Be warned Esties are addictive.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

RIP...200's once great nib, now a double ball.:crybaby::wallbash:

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.