The Nakayas Have Landed!

ethernautrix

Ethernautrix - you're collection is amazing! I need to make a trip to the US to purchase a Nakaya; I love the simplicity of their look. I love the width of the ruthenium plated medium nib.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• byronss

• geoduc

• reprieve

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this. I have a soft medium that John modified for some added flex; but i always wondered if John's modifications were drastic, or simply a subtle change to an already flexible nib. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it does seem that my SM+flex puts a wider line vs. the unmodified SM. I also don't have to push down hard to get the nib to flex, and I do see some line variation in regular writing speeds; these two points suggest that John's modifications had some effects on the width of the 'flex'ed' line and the pressure needed to flex the pen.

Thanks for the comparisons and enjoy your Nakayas - i only have one but i love how it writes.. i am fighting the urge to get another one

tenurepro -- The extra sample was to address your curiosity about the nibs, the soft M in particular. I wouldn't call it a flex nib. A little pressure adds, yeah, some variation, but, ah... it would be very slow going, I think, to write with it, expecting that kind of variation. But I'm not a patient writer, so.... Let me say that it would take ME a lot of effort. Then again, a wet noodle takes me a lot of effort. I'm not the best judge.

Edited by tenurepro

Thanks for this. I have a soft medium that John modified for some added flex; but i always wondered if John's modifications were drastic, or simply a subtle change to an already flexible nib. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it does seem that my SM+flex puts a wider line vs. the unmodified SM. I also don't have to push down hard to get the nib to flex, and I do see some line variation in regular writing speeds; these two points suggest that John's modifications had some effects on the width of the 'flex'ed' line and the pressure needed to flex the pen.

Thanks for the comparisons and enjoy your Nakayas - i only have one but i love how it writes.. i am fighting the urge to get another one

tenurepro -- The extra sample was to address your curiosity about the nibs, the soft M in particular. I wouldn't call it a flex nib. A little pressure adds, yeah, some variation, but, ah... it would be very slow going, I think, to write with it, expecting that kind of variation. But I'm not a patient writer, so.... Let me say that it would take ME a lot of effort. Then again, a wet noodle takes me a lot of effort. I'm not the best judge.

My Long Cigar has a soft F and my experience is like Lisa's. It's not really a flexible nib. It simply has a pleasant amount of give, which makes it very pleasant to write with.

I mostly use flexible dip nibs when I work at my desk, and there's no comparison. The soft F is not that much stiffer than the Binder-flexed Falcon I've got (but not capable of nearly as much variation), but neither pen is really all that flexible in terms of feel or performance when compared to nibs like the Brause Rose, Hunt 101, or Esterbrook 357. The real challenge with those points is not flexing them unintentionally.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I am patiently awaiting my blue dragon wth stub ruthenium M nib..... Its my second Nakaya.....All my Mont Blancs arent seeing the light of day anymore !

Very nice however I try not to look as I'm in the waiting phase...

Nakaya shield seems to be working very well however has not had any impact on the amount of money spent on camera gear. :hmm1:

Edited by Siv

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Whee, the Long Cigar is here. The custom color isn't quite what I wanted, but it's still nice. The nib is superb (0.9mm CI).

I'll post photos and writing samples in a new thread this weekend.

I like the Dorsal Fin even more than the Piccolo sizes (never seen a Neo Standard or Naka-ai in person yet)... the Dorsal Fin has the Piccolo's "spiky" ends but is somewhat fatter all in all. And it has the adorable fin, of course.

A glimpse of mine in aka-tame (second from the right):

fpn_1349533300__dfcomparison.jpg

(Don't you love too how Urushi sometimes looks like it's still wet? Luckily enough it isn't or it would have been even harder to remove this bazillion dust flecks.)

Edited by elderberry

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

I like the Dorsal Fin even more than the Piccolo sizes (never seen a Neo Standard or Naka-ai in person yet)... the Dorsal Fin has the Piccolo's "spiky" ends but is somewhat fatter all in all. And it has the adorable fin, of course.

(Don't you love too how Urushi sometimes looks like it's still wet? Luckily enough it isn't or it would have been even harder to remove this bazillion dust flecks.)

Ooof, what a gorgeous pic.

Ken

Let me see... America's Cup, TWO Giants' games, a 49er game, Fleet Week, A blue grass fesitval, Italian Heritage Parade and two mega cruise ships docked...

THIS is the week you guys are going to have a Pen Show! I recommend that you park in San Mateo and just walk into the city! :)

cheers

skyppere

Or take BART or CalTrains from Millbrae. :-)

Or stay in San Mateo... ha ha ha, wow, that's a lot of traffic.

===============

Didn't the show used to be over in the East Bay, Dublin?

I'm sorry I'm not there this time, it would have been perfect for me. My brother LIVES in San Mateo.

skyppere

That's a lovely photograph, elderberry. It really shows off the beauty of the urushi finish.

Congrats on the new pen!

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

Joi! I wondered why you weren't at the SF Pen Show! Probably because it's a very busy weekend, and you're all the way down in SoCal. See you at the LA Pen Show, then!

Thank you!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

D'oh! Dave, I saw your question and realized I didn't know what a Pelikan M1000 nib felt like and told myself to try one out at the show -- and I forgot! I'm sorry. I want to say the answer is yes, but that's a guess. But I will say that the "soft" nibs (only in F and M) are not flex, but, yeah, they're a bit springy, they have a bit of give to them, whereas the firm and ruthenium-plated nibs are harder, the latter with the least amount of give (according to my perception).

Should I try a Pelikan M1000, I'll report back.

Vistafan, the Los Angeles Pen Show is next February! I hope you will be able to make it. Not only will you see many Nakayas, but the shows are so much fun, what with all the people to meet and talk with.

tenurepro, " i am fighting the urge to get another one." Well... good luck. :-)

Okay, the reason I have more than one is that I could not decide on the best color -- was it the heki or the kuro? But wait, I wanted an unpolished shu! And then things got quickly out of control. And then I enjoy the nibs so much and being able to use different colors without changing inks, and... so you see, it has all worked out.

Hi, Mickey! It was nice to see you at the SF Pen Show! Ricky's going to call a Pen Posse Post-Pen Show Decompression for the weekend after next (most likely). Hope you can make it!

Wideguy, I haven't see the Blue Dragon in person yet, but someone ordered one today in the Piccolo size, so I looked it up on Nakaya's website, and -- wait a minute, I think I did see a blue one in person. Now I'm confused. Anyway, it is very, very gorgeous and tantalizing. I'm happy for you!

Siv, yeah, you'll need a Nikon Shield or Canon (or Leica or...) Shield for your photography budget. :-)

geoduc, I saw your Long Cigar, and it's a lovely color! Congratulations!

elderberry -- wow! Nice shot of the urushi! Very nice.

Skyppere - Last year's show was in Danville, which was the first SF show in many years. This year, it was in San Mateo, and if I'm lucky, it will be held in San Mateo next year. I have to thank the powers that be or plain luck that the show was so convenient for me this weekend. What a fun show!

etherX in To Miasto

Dear EthernautrixHere is a picture of my Dragon and my friend's Bat on Mr.Mottishaw's desk prior to The first image shows our Kanji beautifully painted on the pen barrel and the second shows the dragon andbat side by side.The dragon nib is M ruthenium subbed by Mr.Mottishaw the dragon roller stop also has ruby eyes which match the blue green pen and the Kanji in red too.Waiting for it to arrive, it was a really long wait indeedBest wishesWideguy

Edited by Wideguy

D'oh! Dave, I saw your question and realized I didn't know what a Pelikan M1000 nib felt like and told myself to try one out at the show -- and I forgot! I'm sorry. I want to say the answer is yes, but that's a guess. But I will say that the "soft" nibs (only in F and M) are not flex, but, yeah, they're a bit springy, they have a bit of give to them, whereas the firm and ruthenium-plated nibs are harder, the latter with the least amount of give (according to my perception).

Should I try a Pelikan M1000, I'll report back.

Thanks Lisa...I think between your description and a few other comments that the soft nibs probably do have a similar spring feel to a Pelikan M1000...making the decision all that much harder! I do understand why you (and others) have several!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Lisa... I have a 1005 for you to play with...it's darn close to a paintbrush...

BTW, the Nakaya Piccolo and I are very happy together...

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

Wideguy -- Those pens are magnificent! Wow. I really like the blue dragon.... I thought I knew what custom design I wanted (a different technique), but maybe I want the blue technique, not a dragon but something else (I'm thinking of Buddhist themes)...hmm.... I hear ya on the long wait. For an intricate design, it's worth it.

I like the kanji, too - even though I can't read it.

WOBentley -- I'm starting to joke about how I enjoy the full range of F to M Nakaya nibs. But, really, it's the different pen colors. Somehow I have blocked it from my mind that I can request a color Nakaya doesn't yet make, the way Ricky does. I can't afford to go there. :-)

Hooray, Loren! I really like your Piccolo. I'm glad you snapped it up early in the show so I didn't have to consider it all weekend. And thanks, about the Pelikan, to try it out! I'll try to remember to bring extra-large paper.

Speaking of Ricky and his custom colors.... Wow. The sky's the limit for your rainbow collection! What about a very pale yellow, like a shade between very pale sunshine and translucent ivory or cream? Or are you thinking of a lighter shade of green next?

Beautiful collection.

Nakaya! Nakaya!

etherX in To Miasto

Here is the Kanji picture.......

Elegant. Very different on each pen. I love the look of the one on the right. Thanks for sharing it!

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi