The Nakayas Have Landed!

ethernautrix

Now you have ME shopping... already decided on a finish (what I call River Rocks)... need to choose a model...

:headsmack:

What you call River Rocks?! You mean the sumiko that I've been calling "Wet River Rocks" for a year? :-D

LOREN! You're going to get a NAKAYA?! Oh, let me help, let me help, let me help! Ha ha ha! Wow, the Nakaya Worm took a long time to get to you.

HEY! Order a custom one with a snowflake on the cap! No, seriously! A raden snowflake! Hah? Haaah? Perfect!

Like this even:

http://www.snowflakehoa.com/Images/VectofSnowflake.gif

Yes! A (Wet) River Rocks Nakaya (something) with a raden snowflake!

That would be so cool.

Yup... You're going to help me pick one early at the SF show...

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• byronss

• geoduc

• reprieve

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, ah, would anyone else like my input in their Nakaya decisions?

Absolutely!!! It's partly your handwriting photos and your collection that have inspired me to get a Nakaya. I'm on a budget and I've been waiting many months, but I"ll be ready to buy in about 3 weeks. I'll be buying from nibs.com and I know the colour I want: Kuro-tamenuri. Probably a portable, but not 100% sure yet. Pity there's a extra wait for anything but a gold clip. I prefer a silver look, but I'll deal with it because I'm not a patient woman! It's the nib that has me tied up in knots.

I have a few too many F nibs and I've decided I really don't like them. I have a Sailor that is a B, but it's a wet noodle and my writing style means that the letters aren't clear and they all disappear into each other at times. I'm thinking I want something in a Nakaya between an M and a B, but I'm not sure.

I know I like smooth nibs. My Sailor writes like butter and I love that, but it's a tad too inky, even though I like inky. It's probably the nib size that makes it too inky for me.

In the handwriting samples you have on Flickr, what nib do you prefer? Maybe you can point me to a couple of samples and tell me what you like about them. Also, what is the line width of the paper you use?

Cheers...

Susi

Edited by byronss

_________

Susi

from Sydney, then Byron Bay, now Gold Coast, Qld, Australia

I'm trying to live vicariously through you lucky Nakaya-ai owners. :drool: I did look at my invoice for a long, long time. I ordered the heki tamenuri. I know it will be worth the wait but :gaah: :gaah: :bawl: :bawl:

Fountain Pen Abundance

Not that I want Lisa to commit an indiscretion, but while she was waiting for her long-anticipated Nakaya delivery she speculated as to whether it would hurry things up if her mother telephoned Nakaya, her mother being a native speaker of Japanese. Presumably better able to communicate with whoever picks up the phone at Platinum. IIRC, speaks with what the English describe as a good accent. Conveys authority.

Did any of this ever happen? Or did the pens just arrive spontaneously, because it is God's plan that everything happens for good?

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! The minute I saw your picture of the Naka-ai I was sure that was the next Nakaya I wanted. BUT I'm already waiting for two Nakayas to be delivered which will bring my total to 6. Oh, yes, I can hear what you're going to say already, "But SEVEN is the magic number!" Is there no end to this??? Gee, I hope not!! Ha, ha, ha, he says madly, wandering off to contemplate the Naka-ai!!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot, Ethernautrix!

Um... How shall I break this to you, dannyboy. Have a seat.

The magic number is...

eight.

You're very welcome.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Oof, I have a stupid cold, need to go back to bed (which means getting in my car and going back home, argh).

But, first, Jerome - no, I didn't ask my mother to call Nakaya, ha ha ha. The pens arrived when they did, and I just had to wait. As predicted, as soon as I had them, the memory of waiting for so long (for so Long Piccolo, ha ha ha, the puns make themselves!) dissolved. We need never speak of this again.

:-)

etherX in To Miasto

Oof, I have a stupid cold, need to go back to bed (which means getting in my car and going back home, argh).

Get rest for next week.

This development does put a damper on an impromptu pre-pen show pen posse.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

The magic number is...

eight.

Nakaya Magic Number (NMN) = X + 1 where X = the number of Nakaya fountain pens already owned.

Are my calculations correct? :rolleyes:

David

Ricky -- Details, please!

Oh my goshdarnfitherydofiddlecakes, if I don't stop coughing, I'm-a start yelling, ARGH!

ARGH, I say!

The pavement resurfacing of my street seems to be progressing nicely, the scraping and jackhammering seem to have moved on. I'm not being sarcastic. At least I'm not trying to be.

Dannyboy, your calculation is off by one factor, the wild card, where 1 should be represented as "at least 1." Sometimes, there is a jump from "this many" + 2, or +3 (it could be three).

In my defense (coughcough) (coughcoughcough) (sorry, that's my stupid cold), I panicked right before the last price increase and ordered a pair of Piccolos, knowing I would not rest without having one in heki tamenuri and one in unpolished shu. And then nibs.com, for the narrowest margin of time, offered the Long Piccolo (say no more!), so I ordered a third.

It really is anybody's guess how many one will add. It might be NMN = 1, where a person (weirdly) stops at one. (No judgments!) It might be for some that NMN = -1 (tried it, didn't like it). But for those who become entranced, NMN = n, where n = some unknowable quantity limited by OP and DF (OP = Other Pens (or Other Priorities) and DF = Discretionary Funds). Hm, this formula suddenly became complicated.

Oh well, if it doesn't make your head spin, how will it make your heart tremble?

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Too late, I already ordered my first!

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!

Listen, though... I know I'm very enthusiastic about Nakaya. It is my favorite. My favorite favorite. But always be prepared to be less than enthralled. You will probably LOVE it. I hope you will. But if you don't, don't worry. It's not you. I'm trying to help you manage your expectations.

When you receive your pen, shut out all the noise, everything I've said, what others have said. Assess it by the qualities you yourself enjoy. Does it measure up? Do you like the shape? The weight? The color? How does it write?

If you like (or love!) how it looks but you're less than thrilled by how it writes, remember that the nib is the easiest part of a pen to change.

That's what I had to do. I thought my first Piccolo Cigar (solid black) was a beautiful pen, but not THE most beautiful pen (I'm not crazy). I liked it. Very much. But I had ordered it with an XXF nib thinking it would write like my Sailor 1911's H-EF nib. I can laugh at myself over that now. So I wanted to love my Piccolo, but I couldn't write with it!

Long story short, it now has the perfect firm M nib, and it took me nearly two years to figure that out.

I've been told that I hold the pen at an unusual angle -- it's high. I don't think it's unusual. I like it. Whatever.

I'm telling you this so that you keep these factors in mind after you've gotten real quiet with your first Nakaya (or any pen -- do this with any pen, to assess whether or not you like it or the hype (you could like both, but if you don't like the pen itself, don't keep it!)), if you don't like it immediately.

As much as I go on and on about the MAGIC! of Nakaya, in the end, it's "just" a pen. I LOVE writing with my Nakayas. The magic for me is how writing with a Nakaya is so enjoyable that I want to keep writing.

And I really, really love the colors and the finish and the weight (they're light!) and the balance in my hand. So that's me. Nakaya might not hit all those buttons for you -- AND THAT'S OKAY. It just means you're impervious to Nakaya MAGIC! (No judgments!)

(Smiley face)

etherX in To Miasto

In the handwriting samples you have on Flickr, what nib do you prefer? Maybe you can point me to a couple of samples and tell me what you like about them. Also, what is the line width of the paper you use?

Cheers...

Susi

Susi, first, hooray! Second, I'll make a writing sample of my Nakaya nibs (maybe not today, cos, have you heard? I'm sick. (Ha ha ha, "I'm sick, waaaah!" As if I haven't said it enough.)), what they are and the paper and all that. I prefer fine nibs, and my Nakayas run the range from F all the way to M. I hope it'll be helpful to you anyway.

I have tried a Nakaya B, and I was (and still am) tempted to get a Nakaya with a B (you'd think that with eight Nakayas, I could have a B already. Alas.), and it was lovely and smooth and not as B as, say, Pelikan, which I find too B. Patient Type has a Long Portable (I think) with a B nib, and I liked it very much. Maybe that's the nib size for you.

PatientType--Of course you can try my Cigars! Duh. Please bring your Nakaya so I can provide a sample of the B nib. Thank you!

etherX in To Miasto

I'm sick. (Ha ha ha, "I'm sick, waaaah!" As if I haven't said it enough.)), what

Good green tea with orange blossom honey and fresh lemon juice. Lots of rest, yes it's difficult to put the pens down, just gaze at them. What a beautiful collection, a soothing, restful sight.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Congratulations. It's great to see yet more Nakayas getting out into the world. I have just the three, a Long Picollo Cigar in Black (with a fine cursive italic ruthenium nib, a Kuro-tamenuri Portable Cigar (Bi-tone Medium Broad cursive italic) and the Tame Sukashi Seiryu Blue Dragon (Cursive italic, ruthenium broad.

I have no doubt you will enjoy all the pens and find it impossible to take even a single one out of rotation for any significant period of time. I can't with my three.

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

Cheers, Greg. The road work continues outside my windows. They'll be finished soon enough, though (pretty sure). Yes, tea! And soup. Very soon, the soup. Thanks!

TDL -- Ooo, the Blue Dragon! Nice. I have conflicting forces to deal with: The need to limit the number of pens I carry around (four is ideal, five is probable, six tests my tolerance, but it's doable) versus wanting all eight of my Nakayas at the ready. So far... I have six pens inked, and one of them is the Montblanc 100-Year Historical.

I KNOW! This is hard.

etherX in To Miasto

Patient Type has a Long Portable (I think) with a B nib, and I liked it very much. Maybe that's the nib size for you.

PatientType--Of course you can try my Cigars! Duh. Please bring your Nakaya so I can provide a sample of the B nib. Thank you!

Yes, I've got a Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Long-Size Cigar with B nib. It's really, really long in person. The nib is wet and pretty smooth with just the vaguest hint of feedback. It writes like what it is, a well-tuned, very civilized Platinum nib. I will bring it next Pen Posse I attend.

I'll bring the Neo along too. Just to show it off. That's my favorite fountain pen, I think. The Neo, another Aka-tamenuri, is a medium - so nothing special - except that it is tuned perfectly and writes just flawlessly.

I try to make use of all my pens and rest some while inking others. The Neo, however, spends most all of it's life inked.

Edited by PatientType

I finally (just now!) placed my order! I decided on kuro-tamenuri with a ruthenium clip and a ruthenium medium nib! Yes, I said medium nib! That is very strange for me and a total impulse. All this time, I had planned to order a broad nib (that was the one thing I never waffled on... until the last minute, just now, right before I hit send)--since the broad nib is my favorite Nakaya nib size (other than a customized BB italic, but I wanted a round nib for this pen), but I have two broad nibs already. At the last second, I figured I'd change it up a little. I'm really very interested to compare the ruthenium fine nib with the ruthenium medium. I love the ruthenium fine--it's my grading and editing and small notes pen--but it's a little too fine for general writing, so I hope the medium will be that perfect in-between. I wanted to compare the ruthenium broad to the two-tone broad to see how much differently the ruthenium nib actually writes (or is it all in my head? it seems like it has this unique feedback that is not toothiness or scratchiness but almost like soundless singing). But I figured a nib size that I don't already have justifies another Nakaya just a little bit more. Like I need another Nakaya. Somehow I keep saying that.

Susi, first, hooray! Second, I'll make a writing sample of my Nakaya nibs (maybe not today, cos, have you heard? I'm sick. (Ha ha ha, "I'm sick, waaaah!" As if I haven't said it enough.)), what they are and the paper and all that. I prefer fine nibs, and my Nakayas run the range from F all the way to M. I hope it'll be helpful to you anyway.

I have tried a Nakaya B, and I was (and still am) tempted to get a Nakaya with a B (you'd think that with eight Nakayas, I could have a B already. Alas.), and it was lovely and smooth and not as B as, say, Pelikan, which I find too B. Patient Type has a Long Portable (I think) with a B nib, and I liked it very much. Maybe that's the nib size for you.

Oh yes, can hear you are sick! I wish you a speedy recovery! We have something here in Australia called Zinc Fix - zinc, Vitamin C, Echinacea etc - I swear by it!

What you're proposing would be wonderful and incredibly helpful, but definitely not until you're better!!

Susi

_________

Susi

from Sydney, then Byron Bay, now Gold Coast, Qld, Australia

Too late, I already ordered my first!

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!

Listen, though... I know I'm very enthusiastic about Nakaya. It is my favorite. My favorite favorite. But always be prepared to be less than enthralled. You will probably LOVE it. I hope you will. But if you don't, don't worry. It's not you. I'm trying to help you manage your expectations.

When you receive your pen, shut out all the noise, everything I've said, what others have said. Assess it by the qualities you yourself enjoy. Does it measure up? Do you like the shape? The weight? The color? How does it write?

If you like (or love!) how it looks but you're less than thrilled by how it writes, remember that the nib is the easiest part of a pen to change.

That's what I had to do. I thought my first Piccolo Cigar (solid black) was a beautiful pen, but not THE most beautiful pen (I'm not crazy). I liked it. Very much. But I had ordered it with an XXF nib thinking it would write like my Sailor 1911's H-EF nib. I can laugh at myself over that now. So I wanted to love my Piccolo, but I couldn't write with it!

Long story short, it now has the perfect firm M nib, and it took me nearly two years to figure that out.

I've been told that I hold the pen at an unusual angle -- it's high. I don't think it's unusual. I like it. Whatever.

I'm telling you this so that you keep these factors in mind after you've gotten real quiet with your first Nakaya (or any pen -- do this with any pen, to assess whether or not you like it or the hype (you could like both, but if you don't like the pen itself, don't keep it!)), if you don't like it immediately.

As much as I go on and on about the MAGIC! of Nakaya, in the end, it's "just" a pen. I LOVE writing with my Nakayas. The magic for me is how writing with a Nakaya is so enjoyable that I want to keep writing.

And I really, really love the colors and the finish and the weight (they're light!) and the balance in my hand. So that's me. Nakaya might not hit all those buttons for you -- AND THAT'S OKAY. It just means you're impervious to Nakaya MAGIC! (No judgments!)

(Smiley face)

Thanks for your advice! I think you really hit the nail on the head as far as spending time with a pen to see how you love it - it's why I ended up selling my MB149 and why my Hakumin Mina will never, ever, ever leave the 'currently inked' rotation...unless I get another one. It's also why I had to sell my Danitrio Sho-Genkai, which has such an awesome nib, and a cool filling system...but it's too big for my hand :bonk: (no worries, Short Octagon to the rescue!)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Not that I want Lisa to commit an indiscretion, but while she was waiting for her long-anticipated Nakaya delivery she speculated as to whether it would hurry things up if her mother telephoned Nakaya, her mother being a native speaker of Japanese. Presumably better able to communicate with whoever picks up the phone at Platinum. IIRC, speaks with what the English describe as a good accent. Conveys authority.

Oooer!

中屋社でございますか?ザマッザーと申します。都リーサの母でございます。リーサの失望に従って顕していただけませんか...

I'd be afraid.

Very afraid

Edited by troglokev

Get well soon, ethernautrix! Your gorgeous new Nakayas will still be there to enjoy when that nasty cold has gone.

(I have to say, the Piccolo in unpolished shu really does look nice. Ahh, the wish list for the day when my long awaited tax return comes...)

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog