• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• byronss

• geoduc

• reprieve

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think I would have been able to guess which were the new ones, but that Naka-ai is just gorgeous.... :drool: Completely unaffordable, but gorgeous. And I'm probably gonna be allergic to the lacquer, anyway.

Sigh. Whimper.

I guess I will have to continue to live vicariously through other people's addictions -- er, collections....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oh. My. Goodness.*

Those new pens look fantastic Lisa! I love the look of the Kuro-Tamenuri a lot more than I thought I would. Can you let us know how they feel in your hand when you write?

* - I was going to use some other choice words, but realized they may not be 'FPN-friendly'

Yay! My kuro-tamenuri Naka-ai has just been delivered. This is my first Nakaya and I can say it truly lives up to the hype.

The pen is much lighter than it looks. The surface is smooth and it warms to the touch. I can get a good grip on the section without any slipping. I'd say I have a medium sized hand and the proportions and balance of the pen while writing are excellent. Mine is a fine monotone nib tuned for medium flow and medium writing pressure. It glides across the page smoothly with just the tiniest hint of feedback that makes the nib "sing" as it writes. Superb.

I've attached some crappy phone pictures taken in terrible fluorescent office lighting to give you a sense of size. My pictures are not nearly as nice as ethernautrix's so use hers for beauty and mine for reference. I've lined the Naka-ai up next to a full-size Parker 51 aero and TWSBI Micarta to give you a sense of scale. One thing I've noticed: this pen sure attracts dust!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8040/8030105620_bca36927a6.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8305/8030105502_5db51b9ef0.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8461/8030105872_376c5ab341.jpg

Now you have ME shopping... already decided on a finish (what I call River Rocks)... need to choose a model...

:headsmack:

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

(bleep).

I'm going out to collect aluminum cans and other recyclables...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

(bleep).

I'm going out to collect aluminum cans and other recyclables...

I've heard there are certain body fluids that people value... :eureka:

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

I've heard there are certain body fluids that people value... :eureka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Now you have ME shopping... already decided on a finish (what I call River Rocks)... need to choose a model...

:headsmack:

What you call River Rocks?! You mean the sumiko that I've been calling "Wet River Rocks" for a year? :-D

LOREN! You're going to get a NAKAYA?! Oh, let me help, let me help, let me help! Ha ha ha! Wow, the Nakaya Worm took a long time to get to you.

HEY! Order a custom one with a snowflake on the cap! No, seriously! A raden snowflake! Hah? Haaah? Perfect!

Like this even:

http://www.snowflakehoa.com/Images/VectofSnowflake.gif

Yes! A (Wet) River Rocks Nakaya (something) with a raden snowflake!

That would be so cool.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Also, thanks, everyone, for sharing in my hopefully not too obnoxious happy dance. :-)

Do you feel any difference in writing with the ruthenium nib versus the "plain" gold ones? Or, put another way, does the ruthenium nib write better by looking so great?

Thanks, David!

Yes, I do feel that the ruthenium-plated nib is harder and smoother than the standard gold one, and I prefer the ruthenium -- M and F. And I think, oh, I'll pay the extra to swap out the gold M for a ruthenium M (or F) at the SF Pen Show oh my gosh practically next weekend! But I really like this gold M, too.

Nothing to do but keep using both and assessing, assessing, assessing.... I do prefer the ruthenium, but, dang! the standard gold (firm) M is a dream, too.

etherX in To Miasto

Thanks for those close-up comparisons (and the nib shot!). The thing that surprises me the most is how much I like the look of the kuro-tamenuri Long Piccolo and the Desk Pen. I always thought I preferred aka- to the kuro-tamenuri, but, after seeing your photos, I'm not so sure. Now I'm thinking about a kuro-tamenuri Naka-ai or heki-tamenuri... wait, maybe aka-tamenuri after all... but that kuro-tamenuri would sure look sharp with a ruthenium nib and clip... ARGH!

My pleasure, repreive.

I understand what you're saying about the aka versus kuro. I had an aka Desk Pen, then got the kuro Desk Pen, and I was surprised to discover that I preferred the kuro. I sold the aka (I KNOW! But somehow the Desk Pen is for me the kind of pen I want only one of, whereas, the Piccolo doesn't have such restrictions; I can't explain it; it is just the way). I think the aka Naka-ai is soooo charming. Truly a lovely little pen. I keep saying "little" but it isn't diminutive, certainly not in the hand. I think the tapered barrel acts as an optical illusion, as it is longer by nearly an inch than my Montblanc 100-Year Historical.

Oh yeah -- take a look at TrinityTam's photo! (NICE!)

I wouldn't have thought the Naka-ai was longer than the Mb100. I would have said they were about the same size.

Nope.

The Naka-ai and the Long Piccolo are the same length.

I'll have to take more photos. I plan to.

etherX in To Miasto

Nice photos, TrinityTam! Good thinking, showing other pens to compare the sizes.

I agree with you about writing with a Nakaya. Such a pleasure.

etherX in To Miasto

So, ah, would anyone else like my input in their Nakaya decisions?

Too late, I already ordered my first! We can maybe talk about the second...but I have at least 3 months til the first one gets here. But hey, what's wrong with a little planning, right?

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

They ARE similar. And, neither is a dramatic departure from a clip-less Neo. I've admired the long Piccolo for awhile. That was my favorite shape but I'm not a small pens person. A long version resolved that problem. I've never heard of the Naka-Ai until now.

The Naka-Ai seems to have a somewhat thicker grip section behind the nib and more taper at the back. I'd have to handle the two to get a better sense of which was the better writer for me. So, next time I see you I may ask to test drive your cigars.

Pen people tend to have a language all their own that sometimes elicits interesting looks from the uninitiated and even some odd exchanges. "Do you have a wet nib?" "Excuse me?" "Oh sorry, I thought you were with our fountain pen posse." "I'm not. No offense, man, but I'm straight." "Oh, OK."

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! The minute I saw your picture of the Naka-ai I was sure that was the next Nakaya I wanted. BUT I'm already waiting for two Nakayas to be delivered which will bring my total to 6. Oh, yes, I can hear what you're going to say already, "But SEVEN is the magic number!" Is there no end to this??? Gee, I hope not!! Ha, ha, ha, he says madly, wandering off to contemplate the Naka-ai!!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot, Ethernautrix!

I always thought I preferred aka- to the kuro-tamenuri, but, after seeing your photos, I'm not so sure. Now I'm thinking about a kuro-tamenuri Naka-ai or heki-tamenuri... wait, maybe aka-tamenuri after all... but that kuro-tamenuri would sure look sharp with a ruthenium nib and clip... ARGH!

My pleasure, repreive.

I understand what you're saying about the aka versus kuro. I had an aka Desk Pen, then got the kuro Desk Pen, and I was surprised to discover that I preferred the kuro. I sold the aka (I KNOW! But somehow the Desk Pen is for me the kind of pen I want only one of, whereas, the Piccolo doesn't have such restrictions; I can't explain it; it is just the way). I think the aka Naka-ai is soooo charming. Truly a lovely little pen. I keep saying "little" but it isn't diminutive, certainly not in the hand.

I am in a similar situation. Right now I have a heki-tamenuri portable and a kuro-tamenuri dorsal fin, but a aka-tamenuri deskpen on order. Surprisingly, I also much prefer kuro more than heki. Initially I thought kuro is a dust attractor. The more I use it the more it grows on me, such an elegant, understated finish.

Congrats on your two fabulous Nakayas! Yesterday I had a dream about Nakaya, and couldn't decide between ruthenium plated nib and an elastic nib. If funds allow, might as well get both and be happy for a long long time.

English is not my mother tongue, please excuse me.