J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hématite

evannole

My first review - I hope it's useful and legible!

J. Herbin Rouge Hématite

Pen: Pilot Vanishing Point, F nib

Paper: Mnmemosyne Notebook, B5 size

-Ink flow: heavy

-Saturation: high

-Feathering/bleed: none with this paper

-Lubrication: ample without being too slick

-Shading: high

-Sheen: high with this paper; none on copy paper

Dry time: largely dry after about 20 seconds, but can still smudge if you try. I'm right handed and have no issues with regular writing.

In honor of my beloved FSU Seminoles having a great win this weekend, I decided to break out this "garnet and gold" ink this week. In addition to being Florida State fans, my wife and I are huge francophiles, so the use of this ink certainly seems appropriate. Somewhat contrary to other reviews I have read, I am getting tons of the gold sheen even with this fine VP nib. I think the slick paper probably helps with that.

Not sure that I will use this on a daily basis in the office - I'm more of a blue guy - but this is very nice for special occasions, be they the holidays or football victories!

Go Noles! >>----->>

Gold sheen very much in evidence:

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

Macro shot (cell phone photo, excuse the poor quality) of the sheen:

IMAG0216.jpg

Edited by evannole

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• evannole

• dizzymizzy

• Movis

• TSherbs

Go 'Noles! >>---->>

The consensus in my family is that the playoffs will be FSU, and Alabama. ;)

I might have to get a tester of this to show my wife (FSU Alumni/current student) that I can show off FSU colors in my ink as well as pens... :P

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome/Nickel F, Kaweco Classic Sport Bordeaux EF, Pentel Tradio Black Pearl, and a Sailor 1911m Black M-F.

Pelikan Brilliant Black, it's sad but that's my only ink.

Go 'Noles! >>---->>

The consensus in my family is that the playoffs will be FSU, and Alabama. ;)

I might have to get a tester of this to show my wife (FSU Alumni/current student) that I can show off FSU colors in my ink as well as pens... :P

Fully agree that FSU and Alabama look like the ones to beat. If the 'Noles continue to play like they did in the second half on Saturday, I think we will be very happy fans, indeed!

The gold sheen on the ink really is amazing. I didn't see so much of it when I first used it in my late-80s Parker Duofold Centennial with an XF nib (though it actually puts down a fairly broad line nowadays), but in the VP fine nib, it is fantastic.Looks an awful lot like the background on the greatest helmet in college football... And the red is a pretty good match for garnet... Perhaps a bit light, but I am not complaining!

Cheers!

E

I recently have sampled both the Hematite and PR's Fiesta Red, and honestly I prefer the Fiesta Red. The multi-colored shading of the Rouge Hematite is too distracting for me, and the Fiesta Red (slightly more toward brick) has nearly the same coloring and a greater consistency of color that I find less distracting. My Rouge Hematite writing, like the writing pictured above, looks both brown and yellow and red at different points in the strokes. But as they say, different strokes for different folks.

Fully agree that FSU and Alabama look like the ones to beat. If the 'Noles continue to play like they did in the second half on Saturday, I think we will be very happy fans, indeed!

The gold sheen on the ink really is amazing. I didn't see so much of it when I first used it in my late-80s Parker Duofold Centennial with an XF nib (though it actually puts down a fairly broad line nowadays), but in the VP fine nib, it is fantastic.Looks an awful lot like the background on the greatest helmet in college football... And the red is a pretty good match for garnet... Perhaps a bit light, but I am not complaining!

Cheers!

E

Indeed! Oregon will get beat by Stanford, or USC, and then it'll be us and Alabama. The only tough games we have left are Virginia Tech, and the Gators, and by tough I mean they might score. ;)

I really like how 1670 looked in the samples I had seen, but then I heard something about the sheen. Your review was the first set of photos that I have seen that show the sheen off well. Now I *really* want this ink, the bottle is quite a bit more expensive than a lot of other inks though... I only have Pelikan's Brilliant Black right now, so I want to branch out soon, I just don't want to spend that much on a bottle right now. Eventually I will though, it's worth it to have garnet and gold ink!

And to think, I didn't even understand football until my wife got me watching the 'Noles, and now I love watching them!

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome/Nickel F, Kaweco Classic Sport Bordeaux EF, Pentel Tradio Black Pearl, and a Sailor 1911m Black M-F.

Pelikan Brilliant Black, it's sad but that's my only ink.

My ink does the same, why is it so "bi-polar" in color?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Fellow Nole and Francophile here. Salutations from Orlando.

Nice, that's quite the combination! Did you go to FSU? Take French courses there? My wife and I were both majors in the French department in the 90s.

Rough weekend for our team. I couldn't believe how suddenly we lost control of that game.

Cheers!

E

I didn't take French courses there, but I'm familiar with the department and faculty. We recovered this weekend, hopefully we'll be eating Ibis for dinner next weekend. :)

---

Wanted: Waterman 52 1/2 V

I didn't take French courses there, but I'm familiar with the department and faculty. We recovered this weekend, hopefully we'll be eating Ibis for dinner next weekend. :)

Indeed! We drove down for the game this weekend, very much on a whim. Was a blast! The campus has really changed since my last visit 7 years ago, and overall it looks great.

Roasted Ibis sounds pretty tasty!

E