Delta Fusion

trent

I saw the Delta Fusion in the latest Fahrney's catalogue. The pen seems very innovative and interesting, what with its experimental nib. Has anyone tried it?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raging.dragon

• Ebonite And Ivory

• trent

• Odinraider

I don't mean to start any arguments here, but I have to wonder if this is not just another senseless gimmick by Delta (remember their "Aromatherapy" pen?). I don't go in much for change for the sake of change.

I read a little about the nib, and they claim superior ink flow and some new, indefinable, writing characteristics. Not increased flex, not increased hardness, but some new kind of experience. We know the feed and the ink have quite a bit to do with flow, so I don't buy that one. In theory, sure, but practical application may show varied results.

I also know enough about psychology to know that if you tell most people to expect a shift in experiential understanding, they will spontaneously exhibit a reaction to that prompt disproportionate to the status of the stimulus itself. Placebo effect and all that. Putting forth a general statement without precisely explaining what a writer will experience alerts me to the possibility of bogus claims. Not to say Delta pens are not good in their own right, but spare me the gimmicks.

-Matt

Yeah. The clip was hollow, and a scented stick was stuck in it, to be pulled out by the writer when a shot of smell was needed... :mellow:

http://www.yafa.com/aromatherapy.shtml

They make some nice looking pens, but they seem to really try to make a market name on gimmicks.

edited to include hyperlink

Edited by Odinraider

The fusion nib looks to be composed of a piece of gold stuck on top of a steel nib, and the way it clears the slit means it won't function as an ink resevoir to help feed a wet nib. I have to say the functional purpose/effect of the gold piece isn't exactly obvious...

:rolleyes:

Delta is really weird...

I was looking at one of their older offerings and found a Delta Tuareg. It looks beautiful but I couldn't figure out what was written on the box... I don't speak Arabic but I can read it. They just took a few characters from languages that looked like characters in the English language and threw them in. That's the moment I realized sometimes Delta just pulls (bleep) out of their ***.

http://www.penclassic.com/pictures/large/del-tuareg.jpg

• OMAS 360 Vintage Turquoise |

Delta Stantuffo Mocha Oro Rosso Grande |

Pelikan M605

Pelikan M215 | Piper Empire Dark Forest

It seems to me to be the wrong way round to be of any use.

Generally steel has little flex in it, but gold may have more.

If the nib were gold with a steel inlay and flexed to a certain point but then became stiffer I can see that could work.

Wahl Doric adjustable comes to mind.

The write-up is rather disappointing in that it doesn't really say what the fusion of the two metals has added to the writing experience.

Dick D

This nib just sounds ridiculous! To quote:

The FUSION nib shows a “plate” of precious metal (gold, or palladium, or other noble alloys) which, due to its high features of thermal conductivity, will tend to heat the underlying metal (steel, titanium or other); the underlying metal, in turn, transfers heat to the ink in transit between the conductor and the tip of the nib.

The higher temperature makes the ink flow more smoothly.

The Gold will heat the steel nib underneath!!!???!!! How is this possible? What secret alchemy are they using to make this heat generating gold? AND is heat better for ink flow?--maybe but this is just silly.

I think Delta makes good pens but really just say it is a decorative gold piece--it actually is a nice looking nib but to claim magical properties is crazy.

www.stevelightart.com

Yeah. The clip was hollow, and a scented stick was stuck in it, to be pulled out by the writer when a shot of smell was needed... :mellow:

http://www.yafa.com/aromatherapy.shtml

They make some nice looking pens, but they seem to really try to make a market name on gimmicks.

edited to include hyperlink

I paused, I blinked, and then I roflmho.gif.

With any luck next monday Delta Will ship mine :-)

I doubt the piece of gold they stuck on top of the nib has any functional purpose, but it does look interesting to my eyes.

Glenn Marcus had the opportunity to try out that nib and mentions that it was very smooth, more details on his site here on the bottom of the page: http://www.glennspens.com/pensofnote/delta-dolcevita.html

His write up of his visit to the Delta factory is a insightful read here: http://www.glennspens.com/companies/delta.html

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

While pe rus ing Fahrney's Fall 2012 Catalog..stopped on page five {5}..read

New! Delta Fusion 82 - a revolution (or revelation) in nib design!..after reading..

I relearned I dunno a thing about.. 'cept its nice sounding. True!..And one man's

good ol' advertising hyperbole is another man's major league irritant.... .

Fred

And Nooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Delta is really weird...

I was looking at one of their older offerings and found a Delta Tuareg. It looks beautiful but I couldn't figure out what was written on the box... I don't speak Arabic but I can read it. They just took a few characters from languages that looked like characters in the English language and threw them in. That's the moment I realized sometimes Delta just pulls (bleep) out of their ***.

Dunnow.. I think it just reads "tuareg" in some fancy lettering that is westerns script but faintly looks arabic... nice touch, I would say. Don't know the pen, though..

I hope to see the fusion nib next saturday on the Tilburg penshow. I think about ordering the Hippocratica fountain pen with the fusion-nib.

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Delta is really weird...

Dunnow.. I think it just reads "tuareg" in some fancy lettering that is westerns script but faintly looks arabic... nice touch, I would say. Don't know the pen, though..

I hope to see the fusion nib next saturday on the Tilburg penshow. I think about ordering the Hippocratica fountain pen with the fusion-nib.

D.ick

3 of them are Arabic characters for sure. (Unknown)(Bah)(Unknown)(Unknown)(Wah)(Qaw). I know other languages in the area borrow letters from the Arabic alphabet and add more to suit their language.

• OMAS 360 Vintage Turquoise |

Delta Stantuffo Mocha Oro Rosso Grande |

Pelikan M605

Pelikan M215 | Piper Empire Dark Forest

The fusion nib looks to be composed of a piece of gold stuck on top of a steel nib, and the way it clears the slit means it won't function as an ink resevoir to help feed a wet nib. I have to say the functional purpose/effect of the gold piece isn't exactly obvious...

:rolleyes:

I wonder if the steel is cut away behind the gold plate? If so the nib may well have a different feel than either gold or steel nibs.

:hmm1:

Edited by raging.dragon

Love Delta pens but the Fusion nib looks like a barbecue grill instrument one would find in the Frontgate catalog that you get in the mail but never order from because it's over-the-top and expensive.

I got to play with a couple at the Dallas Show. One was rough and toothy, the other was very nice. Felt like regular steel nibs to me with a pretty gold thingy on top. One of them just needed adjusting is all. They were VERY wet. Like Pelikans tend to be. But I don't see how the gold on top affected that. The nib slit, feed and ink are responsible for that.

;)

I tried it out at the Dallas show....writes smoothly, but not remarkable in that or any other way. Can't tell if the gold is actually "fused" to the steel or just firmly attached by some other means, but I don't see how its presence could in any way affect the ink flow. Someone of note wondered about the chemical reactions between the metals with ink present over time....hmm1.gif

It's just a fancy bit of bling if you ask me....some more marketing malarkey. roflmho.gif

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Didn't Wearever 'fuse' gold and steel the other way around? So there was gold in the tines, and a hollow steel base.

I can't see how gold so far up the nib can do much when it's still surrounded by steel...fused on, not gold in a hole. (Not that good steel can't match good gold for what I want in a nib, a bit of flex. I have Osmia nibs (early '50's) in steel and gold in both regular semi-flex and 'flexi' and can't say steel is better than the gold ones or the other way around.)

Smooth...well there's lots of smooth Chinese pens too. I have a Cross Townsend a smooooth nail. I don't use nails much. Smooth is just how well the 'iridium' tip is polished. I have a smoooth pen with a springy nib too.

Not a word on springier than normal, nice semi-flex or hardest nail in town. Smooth, like that is rare.

Nothing on how wide writes a M nib or real info.

The pen company seems to make well made pens.

I don't even care if they out source their nib to Bock, many do.

Bock makes exactly what the company wants; or can if Delta wanted a more flexible than nail nib.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.