Fpn Coupon At Gouletpens.com Expiring

GouletPens

I just receive my first order from Goulet last week. Given the well thought out product selection, awesome service, and great support via the blog posts and videos, I don't see a reason to not get most of my FP related products from this great vendor.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GouletPens

• Icywolfe

• Algester

• Pelikan_FP

Clockmilk, I agree with you to a point. But to continue your analogy: the food in this restaurant is not being cooked in house. You could go elsewhere to get the same meal. Thus, this restaurant needs to do more than heat and serve the food. Otherwise, they're no different than any other food heating site. That's not going to keep them in business, much less permit them to grow.

Goulet Pens has built customer loyalty by becoming more than a distributor. By providing tons of information and fantastic customer service, relationships with customers result. I for one, am deeply appreciative of the information available on a very user-friendly website. I am very impressed by the level of service. So if I have a choice of buying product X at 10 different locations, I'll go to GP first, even if the cost is slightly more than a competitor. If GP prices were double everyone else's, I couldn't do that. But they are not. They're quite competitive, especially when I look at what I get for that money. If I go Big River site, I will get my stuff. But if I go to GP, I get my stuff PLUS personalized service, rapid responses to any questions, and tons of free information.... EVERY time. So I'll go to GP first and save Big River site for other product lines.

I understand wanting just a basic meal on occasion. (GP's offers takeout!) From what I see, everyone at GP is very aware of the value of a dollar and decisions are made based on that... while still permitting a reasonable profit so they stay in business. Where the balance has to be is something Brian and the others must evaluate every day, I imagine. And as the company grows, it may change things. But for now, I'm happy they do things exactly the way they do.

I'm a college biology lecturer with a medical doctor's handwriting!

While I too may still order from Goulet Pens, the 5% off was sometimes a factor when making the decision to buy. Since I live in the same state as the Goulet's that 5% was my sales tax discount. As we all know there are a number of vendors we buy from and those vendors are always close on price and therefore they have many different ways to entice us to buy from them. I always tend to look at the bottom line - how much is this going to cost me out of my FP budget. The more I save the happier I am, the more I buy.

Yes, I'm in the same boat err... State uhh... Commonwealth and I also, like ComsicSlop, was seeing the 5% as a tax cancellation discount. I'm sad to see that go, as I was sad to see the weekly video webcasts disappear.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

• 1 year later...

I had no idea such a thing existed. Didn't know about it, and won't miss it.

I really appreciate all the wonderful things the Goulets have done for the fountain pen community and how much of their own energy and enthusiasm they share with us all the time.

They will remain high on my list of places to buy fountain pens, ink, and paper, and be someplace I send anyone who is remotely interesting. They provide an invaluable gateway to the hobby.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I hope they come up with another of these FPN coupons, I've zoned in on a few pens... :)

It could happen again, but I doubt it. You're better subscribing to their newsletter, which will keep you updated on any upcoming specials - and/or their Twitter feed and Facebook page.

I wish they could special order pens from pilot.

They've been getting a few new lines in via Pilot USA - and I know they're able to special order Pelikan pens. If you dropped them a line with a specific query, their customer service team is pretty efficient in getting back to you - or have you already asked?

They've been getting a few new lines in via Pilot USA - and I know they're able to special order Pelikan pens. If you dropped them a line with a specific query, their customer service team is pretty efficient in getting back to you - or have you already asked?

I want a Falcon nibbed pen.

Pilot US doesn't touch that.

#Nope

FPN discount? Is this a thing?

It was, but we stopped two years ago (hence the title of this thread). We won't be bringing it back. Part of the reason we had it in the first place is that we used to charge list price for everything, but now are charging below list on a lot of products, especially pens.

I had no idea such a thing existed. Didn't know about it, and won't miss it.

I really appreciate all the wonderful things the Goulets have done for the fountain pen community and how much of their own energy and enthusiasm they share with us all the time.

They will remain high on my list of places to buy fountain pens, ink, and paper, and be someplace I send anyone who is remotely interesting. They provide an invaluable gateway to the hobby.

Thanks so much Lou, that's awesome to hear :) I have a philosophy that it's always better to 'add value' than to discount price, just my style.

I want a Falcon nibbed pen.

Pilot US doesn't touch that.

You mean the Pilot (formerly Namiki) Falcon? Oh we definitely have that. Or did you mean another pen?

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

It was, but we stopped two years ago (hence the title of this thread). We won't be bringing it back. Part of the reason we had it in the first place is that we used to charge list price for everything, but now are charging below list on a lot of products, especially pens.

Thanks so much Lou, that's awesome to hear :) I have a philosophy that it's always better to 'add value' than to discount price, just my style.

You mean the Pilot (formerly Namiki) Falcon? Oh we definitely have that. Or did you mean another pen?

no it's the Custom 742, Custom 743 Custom Heritage 912 FA (Falcon) nib... worry not it will get confusing

The 742 and 743 aren't slated to come into the US yet (I'm pushing for it, trust me!), but the Custom Heritage 912 is coming later this year (2014), with the FA nib as well as several other cool nibs (Music, Stub, EF, Soft-Fine).

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

The 742 and 743 aren't slated to come into the US yet (I'm pushing for it, trust me!), but the Custom Heritage 912 is coming later this year (2014), with the FA nib as well as several other cool nibs (Music, Stub, EF, Soft-Fine).

thats reassuring that's my next pen on my to get list (having liked the Custom Heritage 91 in soft medium) but word of caution people might not understand what the FA nib is really all about hence why it was stranded in Japan for a long time I would suggest you may want to give that pen a test drive once it's out so you can give your proper feed back on it

Oh you better believe I'm gonna have a field day when those pens arrive to me :) I'll be putting them in the Nib Nook for sure, but almost certainly do a video on these special nibs along with an explanation of what the Pilot Custom Heritage 912 is all about.

Oh you better believe I'm gonna have a field day when those pens arrive to me :) I'll be putting them in the Nib Nook for sure, but almost certainly do a video on these special nibs along with an explanation of what the Pilot Custom Heritage 912 is all about.

if would be interesting how a Custom 74 (because this is the only one available in the US but I like the Heritage better so I got the 91 cause the 92 didnt have that nib offering plus it's cheaper than the Elabo) Soft nib (this isnt found on the demonstrators but on the solid black colored pen think of it like the 3776 century) compare to the larger soft nib on the 912 and the Elabo/Falcon... sorry I had to use it's native name

next thing I know it you may eye on the Legance (which looks like a celluloid like material said to be made of Cellulose Acetate Propionate Resin) and the Legno which is stabilized wood pocket pen hahahahahaha

Edited by Algester

Thanks for commenting on this thread - I had an inkling you'd said something like that recently! My latest order from Goulet Pens is still in transit between Ashland VA and (ahem) somewhere in Australia... Cheaper (and easier) to order Noodler's and Diamine inks from you guys than to find them over here - and I really appreciate the outstanding customer service!

if would be interesting how a Custom 74 (because this is the only one available in the US but I like the Heritage better so I got the 91 cause the 92 didnt have that nib offering plus it's cheaper than the Elabo) Soft nib (this isnt found on the demonstrators but on the solid black colored pen think of it like the 3776 century) compare to the larger soft nib on the 912 and the Elabo/Falcon... sorry I had to use it's native name

next thing I know it you may eye on the Legance (which looks like a celluloid like material said to be made of Cellulose Acetate Propionate Resin) and the Legno which is stabilized wood pocket pen hahahahahaha

The Custom 74 that is in the US isn't advertised as a 'soft nib', like the Falcon is. So I'm strongly anticipating that any nib Pilot advertises with a soft nib will be softer than the Custom 74 nib. I like to call the Custom 74 nib 'springy'.

Thanks for commenting on this thread - I had an inkling you'd said something like that recently! My latest order from Goulet Pens is still in transit between Ashland VA and (ahem) somewhere in Australia... Cheaper (and easier) to order Noodler's and Diamine inks from you guys than to find them over here - and I really appreciate the outstanding customer service!

You're welcome! I have a lot of irons in the fire these days but like to pop in to FPN when I can add value to the thread : )

The Custom 74 that is in the US isn't advertised as a 'soft nib', like the Falcon is. So I'm strongly anticipating that any nib Pilot advertises with a soft nib will be softer than the Custom 74 nib. I like to call the Custom 74 nib 'springy'.

You're welcome! I have a lot of irons in the fire these days but like to pop in to FPN when I can add value to the thread : )

why Pilot pens are numbered the way they are numbered

"By the way, you may wonder the meaning of numbers. The first two numbers mean the number of years from the foundation of Pilot(1918) and the third number means the price of Japanese Yen. CUSTOM 845 was launched in 2002 and the price is 50,000 Yen(+2,500yen consumption tax),743 was launched in 1992 and the price is 30,000 Yen(+1,500yen consumption tax). How about CUSTOM 74? Its price is 10,000 Yen (+500yen consumption tax) and in this case, "1" is omitted."

you may find this useful

I find the soft nib found on the Custom Heritage 91 semi-flexy at best so it cause be said the same on the Custom 74 hahahaha

Edited by Algester

Not sure if you can do that, but some how get a C742 from Pilot maybe just a testing model and compare the C912 to the C742 to the Elabo. Apparently this guy:

Got a review unit from Pilot NA. (But he got the C743)

Oh yeah you might need to clarify to some that the nib on the (Elabo) Falcon pen is not that same as the Falcon nib.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope