Shall We Try To List All The Cream Paper Out There?

Plume145

I like cream paper. I vastly prefer it to bright white, and even off-white and 'ivory'. Like the color of moleskine paper or Filofax Flex paper, or the midori planner inserts, not Rhodia pads and the midori notebook inserts :-)

But I guess most people don't share my tastes lol, because it's much easier to find white, off-white, and bright-white, than it is to find anything approaching cream. So I thought it would be lovely if I could get a list of all the cream papers out there, and from that thought, it occurred to me others might be interested in having such a list :)

Because there isn't a lot of cream paper on the whole, I think it might be best to keep criteria pretty broad. So, it doesn't have to be cream paper that is also *great* paper - paper that strikes a perfect balance between too heavy or too thin, too absorbent or too glossy, etc and always consistent. I think it should be enough if we just stay away from the extremes that would make it unusable to anyone using FP ink (papers that are basically TP masquerading as writing paper and anything so glossy it's basically brochure or magazine paper, not writing paper). Also, please don't feel obligated to add more info beyond the brand and the model name (if you know it or it applies), but if you feel like adding extra details like whether's it's lined, blank, squares, etc or how you found it quality-wise, it will definitely be welcome :)

To start, aside from the moleskine and Flex I already mentioned, I know of:

- Some Daycraft notebooks

- Kokuyo paper

- Muji Passport notebooks

That's all the ones I know! Not a huge list, so please help me grow it ;)

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plume145

• Chris Chalmers

• lapis

• JonSzanto

Rhodia A5 ivory lined pads.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I'll have to bow out: I'm on a low-fat diet.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Tomoe river

oooh yeah, I'd forgotten those! thanks. They have blank as well as ruled, too!

Rhodia A5 ivory lined pads.

I'd no idea Rhodia made ivory paper! Will have to look for that myself :-)

Jonszanto, this is one kind of cream you can indulge in without compromising that diet!

Any additions? I really hope there's more than just that out there!

Edited by Plume145

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

I can't help much here because I only know and use Moleskine's cream. I think that's why I like it so much, alongside its T-shirt pocket-size (64 x 105).

Waiting for the list to enlarge, I'm all eye.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

SOHO: School Office Home. They look like Moleskine at least from the Moleskine pictures I've seen, I bought mine at a local supermarket!

I have both blank and lined versions, size A5 and A4. HTH.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I'm a fan of cream myself, so I'm tickled to see this thread. I spent a long time trying to find a Moleskine replacement, because the pens I use just ghost too much in it. But I needed something the same size as a Moleskine because I have an Oberon Moleskine cover that I couldn't give up.

After a lot of agonizing, I decided there wasn't something like what I was looking for out there. So I just finished making myself a journal out of Southworth's cream-ish resume paper. I'm finding it a tiny bit toothy for my fine point Lamys, which are my primary pen at this point.

Now I'm in the process of making a new journal using a new paper I ran across--Southworth has a "eco-friendly" line called New Leaf. I got the one made from recycled palm...stuff... It's a tiny bit gray compared to the Moleskine color, and it has funky speckly bits in it, but it's pretty nice to write on (smoother than the resume paper), and it resists feathering (even with the De Atramentis Sandalwood I just got in the Goulet Ink Drop, which feathers on darned near everything else I have, especially the Moleskine). At 90g, it's thick enough to not ghost (at least not with my skinny chicken scratch hand) and thin enough to give me quite a few pages in my journal without going too thick to fit in my journal cover. It isn't super-cheap, but it's still cheaper than buying the Moleskines themselves--and I get the fun of trying my hand at bookbinding.

Though considering I only got my first non-disposable fountain pen in July, and I now have five (two Al-Stars and three Nemosine Singularities...and a Pilot Cavalier DuoTone on the way...drool...), I really needed another obsession like I needed a hole in the head. Lord, keep me away from EBay and antique pens...

Disinterested intellectual curiosity is the life blood of real civilisation.

G.M. Trevelyan

I fell in love with Moleskine, but my fountain pens bleed through the pages terribly. My next adventure was to discover the Quo Vadis. I love the cream color and smooth pages. I had always used lined Journals before. I keep a Rhodia for the lined pages now and white paper. But I have to say I am loving the open horizon presented on the creamy blank pages of my Quo Vadis now.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Bzlgij6wT00/UFPXtnF5xJI/AAAAAAAACK8/NBc-ooQMSx4/s1024/inkdrop.jpghttp://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PBHkCjLM9Ho/UFPX1yKXT9I/AAAAAAAACLE/MXlK_ta_VAQ/s1024/letterexchangeparticipate.pnghttp://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3DnA74iPaS0/UHPo3XFSzkI/AAAAAAAACLc/dJP3S1n6b-8/s1024/IMAGE_3642FB4B-196A-4EC8-A76F-808218FF3A69.PNG

I'm a fan of cream myself, so I'm tickled to see this thread.

Same here, I'm in the process of breaking a long habit of Crane Ecruwhite (which is cream colored) and eager to see what else is out there.

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

• 4 weeks later...

I too find bright whites too white and most "ivory" or "natural" papers too saturated. As a result, I'm constantly searching for the "perfect" cream colored loose leaf paper. Three cheers for this thread.

For notebooks, I suggest:

- Kokuyo MIO. These are perfection in terms of the color (and other qualities; I'm a big fan of these notebooks [journals?])

- Maruman Mnemosyne. A bit greyer and more yellow, but still very light.

Moleskines are more yellow than I like, but they're usable.

This site has color spectrometer values under the "Specs" tab on each product: thepapermillstore.com (no affiliation). They also have a way to order samples. I'm not sure if the color values provided are very accurate, though, as I've compared some papers I have to some whites and "creams" that they carry and I've found some inconsistencies, but these could be due to my monitor's color settings.

Neenah Classic Crest Natural White is really a cream color very close to Tomoe River

If you are in Europe, there is Conqueror cream and Clairefontaine.

TWSBI 530/540/580/Mini, Montblanc 146, Pelikan M800, Tomoe River paper, Noodlers inks ... "these are a few of my favorite things"