Books on Italic Handwriting and Calligraphy

BillTheEditor

Thanks! I think I just needed to sign in in order to view. That did it!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• StevenHu

• James Pickering

• HDoug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone have any experience with Stephen Ziller's books on cursive/calligraphy? I think they are meant as a teaching text, I'm wondering if they would be suitable for learning without an instructor. Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to his books, http://www.zillerofkc.com/ziller-books.html

• 2 months later...

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Calligraphers-Bible-David-Harris/dp/0713665041" target="_blank">The Calligrapher's Bible</a>

I just got this and it has some nice fonts in it and directions on basic techniques. I reccomend it.

I'm a complete newbie, but I just got this book as well (spiral-bound for laying flat) and it's brilliant!

• 4 months later...

The Calligrapher's Bible

I just got this and it has some nice fonts in it and directions on basic techniques. I reccomend it.

seconded! I'm attempting every typeface inside right now for starters, will move on to other books and get back to this again on selected fonts to perfect them. Really a good library of scripts in chronological order that gives one a brief idea of the type of script used in different periods in time. However, not a 'bible' for any classic copperplate for that matter, which definitely one has got to go to Edward Johnston.

@nieto

thanks for all the great recommendations...! Checking them out right now...

———calligraphy———fountain pens———paper———books———typography———colours———conservation———

instagram//femoz//skype//fuzzyarse

All three of the Calligraphy publications shown in my signature (below) are now available.

To see larger images, and other examples of my calligraphy, please visit my site at www.caliken.co.uk

Ken Fraser

This unsolicited recommendation appeared recently on this forum by fellow member Katim.

"I have just received my copy of Ken Fraser's new workbook entitled "Italic Variants" and I write to recommend it to all who love the Italic script.

The format is a very neat booklet of 37 pages in a spiral binder, with an introduction to italic (with examples) of nine pages, followed by a series of some 20 'plates', each illustrating a particular variant of the script. These are delightful - it would be hard to choose between them and there is much for the aspiring italicist to study and enjoy. Different styles, letter/ligature slopes, pen thicknesses, cursive and non-cursive variations, all are beautifully set out. And at the back of the booklet are three pages of guidelines for setting out your work, adding to the feel of a 'workbook'!

I have admired Caliken's work ever since joining FPN and I am delighted to see his expertise set out in such a compact and useful booklet. I hasten to add that I have no connection with him or his work other than via the pages of FPN and I write these words with the intention of assuring other members that it is well worth buying (via his website)."

Ken, on your website, the link for the Italic Variations book is broken, returning a 404 error (broken link). Please fix!

• 2 weeks later...

All three of the Calligraphy publications shown in my signature (below) are now available.

To see larger images, and other examples of my calligraphy, please visit my site at www.caliken.co.uk

Ken Fraser

This unsolicited recommendation appeared recently on this forum by fellow member Katim.

"I have just received my copy of Ken Fraser's new workbook entitled "Italic Variants" and I write to recommend it to all who love the Italic script.

The format is a very neat booklet of 37 pages in a spiral binder, with an introduction to italic (with examples) of nine pages, followed by a series of some 20 'plates', each illustrating a particular variant of the script. These are delightful - it would be hard to choose between them and there is much for the aspiring italicist to study and enjoy. Different styles, letter/ligature slopes, pen thicknesses, cursive and non-cursive variations, all are beautifully set out. And at the back of the booklet are three pages of guidelines for setting out your work, adding to the feel of a 'workbook'!

I have admired Caliken's work ever since joining FPN and I am delighted to see his expertise set out in such a compact and useful booklet. I hasten to add that I have no connection with him or his work other than via the pages of FPN and I write these words with the intention of assuring other members that it is well worth buying (via his website)."

Are there scans of one of the pages within the book "Italic Variants" available online?

Just to get an idea of the content inside!

Ken, on your website, the link for the Italic Variations book is broken, returning a 404 error (broken link). Please fix!

I've just checked my site and everything seems OK now. Thanks for pointing out the fault.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

As I read comments about penmanship it seems most are interested in the calligraphic approach.

To those who wish to improve their handwriting for its everyday use, I offer my own work, Fix It…Write. Find it with numerous recommendations on Amazon, or have a look at www.bfhhandwriting.com

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Look for a copy of "Handwriting for Today" by Tom Gourdie. Bill the Editor reviewed this book at the top of this forum, and I concur with his opinion. It's head and shoulders above any other book on the subject IMHO

caliken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/File05992.jpg

This book is no longer in print. Doubt it is worth $114.00 or higher, which is the going price if a copy can be found. :angry:

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

What a great resource (this thread)!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

This book is no longer in print. Doubt it is worth $114.00 or higher, which is the going price if a copy can be found. :angry:

That's what my post just above yours was about.

I wasn't searching for it but stumbled across a copy of " Handwriting For Today " for $ 0.32 cents

• 6 months later...

Some months ago, having determined that my aged hands should again pick up a fountain pen, I took the plunge and then suddenly realised that handwriting, like the body, deteriorates over time.

I joined FPN to get advice which was there in abundance and decided to try to learn italic handwriting. Following recommendations from members I purchased 'Italic Handwriting' by Tom Gourdie, then

'Write Now' by Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay both of which were really helpful. I was finding however that letter form was quite difficult to establish. Reading other comments about Fred Eager's book

'The Italic way to beautiful handwriting I managed to purchase this also and found it such a great help. The structured form of the book and the ability to trace letters and words was, for me, a great asset. The gradual progression through a disciplined approach was exactly what I needed and encouraged me to keep going. Like many others I wanted to improve my handwriting and be able to use the italic form for the odd special occasion. Mr Eager's approach of gently leading you to cursive italic was great and, although only halfway through the project, I look forward to what follows.

I write this to pass on my thanks to all those who, through FPN, have helped and guided me, and to maybe help another, who like me, needs help in getting the basics sorted before moving on to higher things.

• 1 month later...

I would like to acquire a copy of Lloyd Reynolds' Italic calligraphy and handwriting book, does anyone know if I can find it anywhere in Europe?

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

• 1 month later...

This is easily available on Amazon USA and the book is still in print. If you have a regional version of Amazon try there. Also check out the Scribbler's website in the UK they should have are be able to procure a copy of it.

Good luck. It's a good book, is relatively inexpensive, and contains a lot of instruction in compact form.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• 2 weeks later...

I see many posts recommending Write Now by Getty&Dubai but none mentioning Improve your handwriting by Rosemary Sassoon and Briem. I love this book: it teaches Italic and includes heaps of exercises to improve rhythm, consistency and speed. Has anyone read this book? What do you think?

Cheers

:)

Blush, blush, thou lump of foul deformity. Richard III (William Shakespeare)

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but for those of starting from nothing, I've found the book Calligraphy A Course in Hand Lettering by Maryanne Grebenstein to be quite a resource.

It covers Italic, Uncial and half Uncial, Carolingian, Gothic, and Foundational scripts. Not many by comparison to the other resources mentioned here, but I found the inclusion of plastic guide sheets for each script to be quite nice, especially as I'm one the few with no access to a printer or the patience to scribe my own.

• 2 years later...

I just became aware of a wonderful resource for historical books on Calligraphy. It contains links to online (and in most cases downloadable) versions of historical copybooks arranged by Century, Country and Date. It is

www.pennavolans.com

Hundreds of books linked to, practically all the great masters, most of their main works are linked there, from the Italians to the French, Spanish, Low Countries, English and German variants they are all there.

BTW, I have no affiliation with the site. Just discovered it and got amazed in awe.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.