Books on Italic Handwriting and Calligraphy

BillTheEditor

I have now completed my book, and it will soon be available by paypal through my website www.caliken.co.uk

Thanks to all for your interest and encouragement.

Ken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/A4frontcoverforwebsite700.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• StevenHu

• James Pickering

• turnero

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, CatBookMom and Salman.

My book "Copperplate Handwriting" is now available for purchase by Paypal through my website www.caliken.co.uk.

My thanks go to Chris Raynerd (Craynerd) for his invaluable help in amending my website.

Ken

Edited by caliken

• 4 weeks later...

This is an Italian handwriting manual from the 19th century I think.

http://www.perrupato.it/calligrafia/calligrafia.htm

(You can view all the scanned pages from the sidebar)

There is Scrittura Italiana (copperplate):

http://www.perrupato.it/calligrafia/Scrittura/Stilografica1.jpg

And French Round hand:

http://www.perrupato.it/calligrafia/Scrittura/Stilografica18.jpg

In both cases there are lessons one can do, starting with the simplest parts made large and eventually covering more and more letters and shrinking down to a smaller size. There is also a script for pencils(I think), which is somewhere in-between the two:

http://www.perrupato.it/calligrafia/Scrittura/Stilografica28.jpg

Edited by Columba Livia

• 1 month later...

A beautiful resource for everyone interested in American handwriting of the 19th and beginning of 20th century, I highly recommend this big volume:

William E. Henning (edited by Paul Melzer): An Elegant Hand - The Golden Age of American Penmanship & Calligraphy

It has many pages of eye candy and also some biographies of the best Amerian penmen at that time (e.g. P.R. Spencer).

The book can be ordered directly from Oak Knoll Press on their webpage (took about 4 weeks to Berlin).

A beautiful resource for everyone interested in American handwriting of the 19th and beginning of 20th century, I highly recommend this big volume:

William E. Henning (edited by Paul Melzer): An Elegant Hand - The Golden Age of American Penmanship & Calligraphy

+1

• 1 month later...

The Douglas F. Cooley Memorial Art Gallery of Reed College presented an exhibition of the life and work of Lloyd J. Reynolds from June 5 through July 11, 2011.

To quote from the announcement on Reed's web site:

Internationally known as a calligrapher, Reynolds taught at Reed College for 40 years, from 1929 to 1969. At the core of this important historical initiative is a desire to clearly elucidate the artistic contribution and working methodologies of one of Oregon’s most unique artists. Reynolds not only taught at Reed College for four decades, but also at the Portland Museum School, Marylhurst University, and in the Portland Public Schools. Few regional creative figures have had the local and global impact of Lloyd Reynolds. His holistic humanist view influenced and inspired generations of calligraphers, teachers, type designers, artists, poets and writers including: poets Gary Snyder, Philip Whalen, William Stafford, and Carolyn Kizer; screenwriter Ben Barzman; and type designers Sumner Stone and Chuck Bigelow.

The exhibition is now closed, but copies of the catalogue, which includes biographical material and critical appraisals of Lloyd Reynolds' work as calligrapher and teacher, are still available from the publisher. This beautiful catalogue contains color photographs of the calligraphy, etchings, wood block prints and other of Reynolds' diverse work displayed in the exhibit.

For more information, see: http://www.publicationstudio.biz/books/92

Disclosures: I have no financial interest in this publication. However, my daughter-in-law is the Director and Curator of the Cooley Gallery, co-curated the Lloyd Reynolds exhibition and authored the catalogue. I am an alumnus of Reed College and a former student of Lloyd Reynolds.

David

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received my copy of Ken Fraser's new workbook entitled "Italic Variants" and I write to recommend it to all who love the Italic script.

The format is a very neat booklet of 37 pages in a spiral binder, with an introduction to italic (with examples) of nine pages, followed by a series of some 20 'plates', each illustrating a particular variant of the script. These are delightful - it would be hard to choose between them and there is much for the aspiring italicist to study and enjoy. Different styles, letter/ligature slopes, pen thicknesses, cursive and non-cursive variations, all are beautifully set out. And at the back of the booklet are three pages of guidelines for setting out your work, adding to the feel of a 'workbook'!

I have admired Caliken's work ever since joining FPN and I am delighted to see his expertise set out in such a compact and useful booklet. I hasten to add that I have no connection with him or his work other than via the pages of FPN and I write these words with the intention of assuring other members that it is well worth buying (via his website).

• 2 months later...

Many thanks to all of you for the useful references. I find Handwriting for Today specially interesting and something I can start practicing right away. I´ll get my copy of it.

• 4 months later...

There is also my Learn Italic Calligraphy iPhone app, for those with that device. Includes a video per letter, and book chapters. I'm working on my second calligraphy app now, since this one was so popular.

http://itunes.com/apps/stevehusting

Regards,

Steve

• 1 month later...

There seems to be very few books on gothic/blackletter script. Anyone know of any good ones that illustrate and teach them? There are many ways to write gothic script.

There are so many books on copperplate...

All three of the Calligraphy publications shown in my signature (below) are now available.

To see larger images, and other examples of my calligraphy, please visit my site at www.caliken.co.uk

Ken Fraser

This unsolicited recommendation appeared recently on this forum by fellow member Katim.

"I have just received my copy of Ken Fraser's new workbook entitled "Italic Variants" and I write to recommend it to all who love the Italic script.

The format is a very neat booklet of 37 pages in a spiral binder, with an introduction to italic (with examples) of nine pages, followed by a series of some 20 'plates', each illustrating a particular variant of the script. These are delightful - it would be hard to choose between them and there is much for the aspiring italicist to study and enjoy. Different styles, letter/ligature slopes, pen thicknesses, cursive and non-cursive variations, all are beautifully set out. And at the back of the booklet are three pages of guidelines for setting out your work, adding to the feel of a 'workbook'!

I have admired Caliken's work ever since joining FPN and I am delighted to see his expertise set out in such a compact and useful booklet. I hasten to add that I have no connection with him or his work other than via the pages of FPN and I write these words with the intention of assuring other members that it is well worth buying (via his website)."

Write now is great, a little confusing but great. My handwriting now looks like handwriting.

Guest Gracie

Here's one that I actually found in my school's library.

It's called "The Art of Calligraphy" by David Harris. It shows several alphabets from various time periods and gives a brief history on each set.

It also tells which kinds of nibs/pens would work best for each alphabet.

I've renewed it every time it's time for me to turn it in. I love the book to death.

Great read, knowledgeable, and extremely helpful, in my opinion.

I definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the referral - I just bought a copy on Amazon.ca It looks great, just as you described.

• 2 weeks later...

Clicking on the link, I get: "This content is currently unavailable."

For a listing of hundreds of calligraphy books, see my "Calligraphy Books" link section at http://www.stevehusting.com/calligraphy/links/Links.html

Edited by StevenHu