• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bphollin

• raging.dragon

• tomgartin

• Aysedasi

Excellent ! Zowwy, you did alot of work. The 2000 is one of my favorite users Much appreciated. :notworthy1:

Addendum:

Thank you for the section on the bauhaus/Lamy/Braun etc. Really adds to the knowledge base and my enjoyment of the article, and my pen. Reminds me of my reading about Henry Dreyfus designs (Skyliner FP, Waring blender, the Bell rotary desk phone, Yellow Cab, 20th Century limited Pan Am flying boat (interior)etc.) :thumbup:

Edited by Moynihan

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

Superb work! We always say 'Oh Lamy - very Bauhaus, very modernist', but very few of us could quote sources the way you do here. And the comparison with Braun designs was new to me. (I wonder if anyone's done a Moholy-Nagy source compendium for the P51 - another Bauhaus link?)

Of course you've got me in trouble now as I realise there are even more variations of the wonderful Lamy 2000 out there. I personally like the Taxus a lot - I don't usually like wood pens, but the combination of warm wood colour and classical cool lines is one that I find very appealing.

I've always liked the Bauhaus, Art Deco, or Mid-Century Modern styles executed in or combined with wood. For example, a photo I recall of chrome and black leather furniture in log home. The modern style can be cold and impersonal, using wood gives it a touch warmth.

That is a truly amazing review! Congratulations on all the hard work. I was about to provide a review on the 2000 ballpoint, pencil, and fountain pen but I doubt if I can find much to add. I'll need to reread this again.

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Hush, you! The value of FPN is our diversity of opinions and approaches. We don't have nearly enough on the 2000 family; of the Lamy 2000 threads on this site, very few are on non-FP models. I, for one, would love to read what you have to say on the BP, MP, and FP.

That is a truly amazing review! Congratulations on all the hard work. I was about to provide a review on the 2000 ballpoint, pencil, and fountain pen but I doubt if I can find much to add. I'll need to reread this again.

I placed a review on the Lamy L2k Ballpoint Pen and Mechanical Pencil which I hope you enjoy. Your post and kind thoughts were an inspiration.

Thank you again for your very kind feedback and for validating my geekdom. So far no tl;dr posts!

Here's an outtake from the photo shoot, in the spirit of goodguy and Zuzik's reviews of the MB Writer's Series (this is for you, p2p). Smudge likes the 2000M!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8443/7798613438_72cfa94c63_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8298/7798613316_1810ff0d2a_z.jpg

I'm now somewhat distraught to find that not all Lamys are perfect. I confess I was ignorant to "all the complaints" about the 2000 nibs. Aargh, will the search for the perfect pen never end??

We are all imperfect vessels, even the venerable Lamy 2000, alas!

Great work, very comprehensive - worthy of the best encyclopaedia.

:embarrassed_smile:

I've been thinking of getting a 2000M, but would like to handle one first. I think Bruce-YVR will be getting one, though, so that'll give me the opportunity.

You should do! By the way, you were one of the early 2000 recommenders when I first joined a few years back, so thanks for that. :thumbup:

I did want to point out though, there are a few typos in Part 5, specifically in the quote from the Lamy booklet for the Edition 2000.

:gaah: Darn! My mother is a quilter, and she says real quilters intentionally put in a mistake to stave off a real error. Let's just pretend that's what I was going for here. Thanks for pointing it out all the same. :thumbup:

(I wonder if anyone's done a Moholy-Nagy source compendium for the P51 - another Bauhaus link?)

Uh-oh. Not another article idea.

Thank you for the section on the bauhaus/Lamy/Braun etc. Really adds to the knowledge base and my enjoyment of the article, and my pen. Reminds me of my reading about Henry Dreyfus designs (Skyliner FP, Waring blender, the Bell rotary desk phone, Yellow Cab, 20th Century limited Pan Am flying boat (interior)etc.) :thumbup:

Yes, this was really fun to research. As I mentioned above, I'm a big fan of Müller and really enjoyed trying to fit the pieces together on him and his influence. I'm just waiting for a real design authority to come in and rip me to shreds, though.

Because of your article I blasted $253.25 on 2 Lamy 2000s!!!!!!

I saw nothing. I know nothing!

Edited by bphollin

Wowee! Top-notch research! I'm still on the fence with the design of the 2000 but I have a new appreciation for it all thanks to all your hard work. Thank you!

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

What a well reserached, well written review. So good one even thinks it was too short!

A Fountain Pen is never just a Fountain Pen.

I’ve never been into Lamy design that much to get one and only recently I’ve brought myself to order a Lamy Studio. I’m still unsure about Lamy 2000, though.

Nevertheless, I very much enjoyed reading your well-put and thorough write-up. Excellent work. :clap1:

Regards,

Halid

This review is remarkable with design insights,especially comparison to Braun designs, inclusion of dissembling video, loads of photos of each part! Wonderful.

Truly a milestone in review section. A approach!

Congratulations!

Abhik

What a great resource for us L2K owners! Thank you so much for a wonderful read.

Can this thread be pinned in the Lamy sub-forum? (oops... uh, never mind)

Happiness is an Indian ED!

How could anyone even think of writing such a review!!!.... :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Today following the link in the review, I completely disassembled my Lamy 2000 and assembled it again by just using my fingers!!! I do not understand why is there much fuss about TWSBI 540 being easy-to-disassemble pen. That said, of course, I like TWSBI too.

Exhaustive and captivating!

Thank you so much!

Lamy was my first, all those years ago, and looking back, the Bauhaus design is what attracted me to it. After owning several models I settled on the Persona as the keeper.

Wait, there is all those limited edition 2000 bps and the 2000 ball desk set still hanging around.

Inked