Oh My, Look What Came In The Mail!

dcpritch

so your foot finally touched earth again hmm?

Oh, I've come down a little, though still hovering. :)

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• reprieve

• ethernautrix

• peterpen53

Do you have a music nib? You need a music nib.

And where is the group shot of all three Nakayas, huh? :D

Actually, I was thinking of just that, but I'd like it to have a little more line variation than the one shown by rhk at post #9 of this thread, plus they are a fairly pricey addition. I also saw Ruud was writing with a Hakase, and a pen from that venerable house is certainly on the radar as an alternative to another Nakaya.

And a group shot? Alas, my Portable Writer in polished shu is taking a Florida vacation right now and so a family picture is not possible. I can show two, though, the Neo Standard in heki-tamenuri which is the subject of this thread, and its cousin the Portable Writer in black urushi, with a 14k F nib:

fpn_1345151797__nakaya_-_portable_writer_and_neo_standard_492x1024.jpg

fpn_1345151776__nakaya_-_portable_writer_and_neo_standard_1_1024x1010.jpg

Edited by dcpritch

— Samuel Johnson

By the way, I love the expression, "Mariachi infestation." Did you live above a Mexican restaurant?

Oo, you could get the Sky In Polynesia on other models -- that's the beauty thing about Nakaya. I do like the Piccolo size and shape, though. I have a vague memory of having to become accustomed to it in hand, but now I can switch between pens without noticing any recalibration, so to speak.

There's a Nakaya pen design that I like very much, a dark brown base color and many, many dragonflies in silhouette, only... one of these days, when I decide what pen model (Piccolo? Desk Pen? Naka-ai?), I want monkeys instead of dragonflies. I'll have to draw the monkeys I suppose, to give them the idea that I want the same style of dragonflies. Meanwhile, the Nakaya Shield is up and not budging!

As for Mariachi infestation -- I still have Mariachi PTSD from living across a narrow lane from a Mexican social hall that was rented out at least weekly for celebrations. I did mental acrobatics for three-and-a-half years, trying to stay, trying not to move. But then one three-day extra-festive weekend, my mind snapped, and by the end of that month, I'd moved into an apartment building called, ha ha ha, La Paz. And it has been quiet, if not filled with light.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Seeing the nib on this Neo-Standard has made me rethink my next Nakaya purchase! That BB Stub looks fabulous and I'd love to see some more handwriting with it! What led you to choose that nib? From a fine to a BB Stub is a considerable leap--of faith? daring? what? I've been stuck in the category of cursive italics on my Nakayas, but I'm thinking now it's time for a new challenge. Many thanks for the great photos for us to drool over.

I really am interested in hearing what led you to choose the BB Stub nib. Will look forward to hearing . . .

Its called "The Sky in Polynesia." Still haven't decided what must be sold in order to make a pen like this a reality, but it could happen. If so, the Nakaya Shield will have to be raised and remain up for a considerable time!

http://www.nakaya.org/products/IMAGES/BODY/11034%281%29.jpghttp://www.nakaya.org/products/IMAGES/BODY/11034%282%29.jpghttp://www.nakaya.org/products/IMAGES/BODY/11034%283%29.jpg

David, before I looked at what you'd typed about this particular scheme, I'd thought, what a neat Christmas Nakaya pen!

"Have fountain pen, will travel."

And a group shot? Alas, my Portable Writer in polished shu is taking a Florida vacation right now and so a family picture is not possible. I can show two, though, the Neo Standard in heki-tamenuri which is the subject of this thread, and its cousin the Portable Writer in black urushi, with a 14k F nib:

A fine nib?! *gasp* Are you ill? Really, are you sure you're alright? Should I call a doctor?

In all seriousness, you have a lovely pair of Nakayas. Or, rather, a lovely trio. I've seen a photo of the Portable Shu in another thread. About the music nib, I had Michael Masuyama crispen mine up and it now has quite a lot of line variation. I suppose the same effect could be had by asking for a BB cursive italic, but I really like the look of the three tined nib and writing with it does feel slightly different than a normal italic nib. I also have an unaltered music nib on another Nakaya and I enjoy it a lot; it is better for quicker writing.

Seeing the nib on this Neo-Standard has made me rethink my next Nakaya purchase! That BB Stub looks fabulous and I'd love to see some more handwriting with it! What led you to choose that nib? From a fine to a BB Stub is a considerable leap--of faith? daring? what? I've been stuck in the category of cursive italics on my Nakayas, but I'm thinking now it's time for a new challenge. Many thanks for the great photos for us to drool over.

I really am interested in hearing what led you to choose the BB Stub nib. Will look forward to hearing . . .

HI dannyboy, actually, the leap of faith was for me to but the F nib! I actually prefer wide stub nibs to anything else, unless of course I can find a wide stub nib with flex, which for me is the best of all worlds. The Nakaya F nib was another attempt by me to try and like fine point nibs. Alas, I can use it for a few minutes without much effort, but after that I find myself wishing it were a stub with big line variation, and I put it away. I'm thinking seriously of sending the black Portable Writer back to John Mottishaw for a nib exchange, and a music nib might be just the thing.

— Samuel Johnson

A fine nib?! *gasp* Are you ill? Really, are you sure you're alright? Should I call a doctor?

... About the music nib, I had Michael Masuyama crispen mine up and it now has quite a lot of line variation. I suppose the same effect could be had by asking for a BB cursive italic, but I really like the look of the three tined nib and writing with it does feel slightly different than a normal italic nib. I also have an unaltered music nib on another Nakaya and I enjoy it a lot; it is better for quicker writing.

I can certainly use a doctor, a nib doctor! See the post above for a better explanation for my aberrant behavior. :)

Would you be able to show a writing sample at some point showing the unaltered music nib vs. the Masuyama'd nib? I'd love to see how they differ. No hurry, of course, especially as I'll be gone for a few days on a canoe trip.

— Samuel Johnson

There's a Nakaya pen design that I like very much, a dark brown base color and many, many dragonflies in silhouette, only... one of these days, when I decide what pen model (Piccolo? Desk Pen? Naka-ai?), I want monkeys instead of dragonflies. I'll have to draw the monkeys I suppose, to give them the idea that I want the same style of dragonflies. Meanwhile, the Nakaya Shield is up and not budging!

Lisa, I'm still laughing about Mariachi PTSD! :roflmho:

I prefer a very small step from the barrel to the section which is one reason I was so excited to get the Neo Standard, as it has a small step than the Portable Writers I have. Is there another Nakaya model that has a small step like that, or even smaller? I'm liking the shape of the Desk Pen and starting to think about that one, wondering about the step.

David, before I looked at what you'd typed about this particular scheme, I'd thought, what a neat Christmas Nakaya pen!

I think that is a grand idea! Do you work for Nibs.com? :)

Just kidding, I didn't realize until ethernautrix pointed it out that this design could be put on different pen styles. Now I really have some deciding to do!

— Samuel Johnson

David, Mariachi is always funny... until it happens to you!

Ha ha ha!

As for the steps... Ricky has said that the Neo Standard was made for a customer who liked the Desk Pen but wanted it shorter. (The Desk Pen's cap is longer, too -- and I really like it.)

The Piccolo seems to have a small step. I guess. I don't really pay attention to that sortv thing, and I hold the pen very close to the nib. I've been trying to choke up (to use a batting term), but my hand seems to prefer being very close to the nib.

The Desk Pen -- I don't know if I'm hypnotizing people into agreeing with me or what, but every single person who has tried out my Desk Pen, even non-fp fanatics, er, afficionados, has been amazed at how comfortable it is to hold and write with. Not one person has said, "Eh, it's all right." Maybe it's the look on my face. Maybe they just don't want to disappoint me. Drat. This has only now occurred to me.

Anyway, I'll have to check John's website to compare the photos of the various models, the uncapped photos.

etherX in To Miasto

All right, enough...stop talking about Nakayas! I've been resisting for a long time and I want to be able to continue. I will NOT be back to this thread....EVER! Not even once... okay, maybe once, but no more after that.

:)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7AlUqveS3BY/TCVyeRV5evI/AAAAAAAAAQU/H5N_-dpY7cA/s144/Aubrey%20on%20plaid%20paper_sm.JPG

Check out my wish list on my profile.

Would you be able to show a writing sample at some point showing the unaltered music nib vs. the Masuyama'd nib? I'd love to see how they differ. No hurry, of course, especially as I'll be gone for a few days on a canoe trip.

Sure, I can post a writing sample. Just give me a few days to get a little comparison together.

Congrats on such a lovely pen. I love that the ink matches the pen.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Would you be able to show a writing sample at some point showing the unaltered music nib vs. the Masuyama'd nib? I'd love to see how they differ.

Here are the writing samples. I threw in an unaltered Lamy 2000 BB nib as well, which is naturally a bit stubbish. The stock music nib was set up by John Mottishaw to flow very wet (8 or 9 out of 10) but is otherwise unaltered. The reground music nib is probably a 7 out of 10 flow-wise, and has a nice amount of line variation. Although the nib is extremely smooth, it is unforgiving--if you rotate it much at all, the edges will catch. I would definitely call it a cursive italic rather than a stub.

fpn_1345669141__music_nib_sample.jpg

fpn_1345669166__music_nib_sample_1.jpg

fpn_1345669187__pens_8-22.jpg

fpn_1345669205__pens_8-22_1.jpg

Pens and inks are:

Lamy 2000, BB nib, Diamine Oxblood.

Nakaya Decapod cigar in heki-tamenuri, stock music nib, Diamine Umber.

Nakaya Piccolo cigar in Housoge Kikyo, music nib sharpened up by Michael Masuyama, Herbin Lie de Thé.

By the way, the heki-tame Decapod is the pen that started my Nakaya madness. I bought it from John at the D.C. pen show in 2009. I've since acquired other Nakayas, all of them beautiful and some in very special finishes, and although all of them are dear to me, the "simple" Decapod occupies a special place as "the first."

Thanks reprieve, for the extra effort. Those Nakayas are great looking pens 9clearly an understatement), and the writing sample is a big help. It looks like the music nib that was worked on shows more line variation, though it may be less forgiving. Now I really have a lot to think about!

— Samuel Johnson

Thanks reprieve, for the extra effort. Those Nakayas are great looking pens 9clearly an understatement), and the writing sample is a big help. It looks like the music nib that was worked on shows more line variation, though it may be less forgiving. Now I really have a lot to think about!

There's definitely more line variation from the Masuyama-ground nib. The difference is more noticeable in person (and of course when actually writing). The line variation of the stock music nib is a little obscured because it is set up to be so wet. But boy does it glide! Hey, I still need to answer your letter (ack, sorry for the delay!) and I will be sure to write a paragraph or two with the music nib.

I like your taste in pens, reprieve -- and your handwriting!

I saw you have a black-and-white...like zebra stripes pen, but I can't remember where I saw it. That is a very cool pen, too. What is it?

etherX in To Miasto

I like your taste in pens, reprieve -- and your handwriting!

I saw you have a black-and-white...like zebra stripes pen, but I can't remember where I saw it. That is a very cool pen, too. What is it?

Thanks, Ether! I am always kind of embarrassed to post my handwriting on FPN as I think it's messy and silly looking but I have learned most everyone thinks that about their own writing.

Oh, my zebra prison stripes pen! I posted a photo of it on the "show us what pen you're using" thread. Watch_art made it for me! He makes great pens! I think his work is every bit as quality as, say, Bexley or Edison (or Nakaya or Pelikan or any other nice pen, for that matter). There are better photos on Shawn's web site. I highly recommend his work and his nib grinding (the nib is one of the smoothest stubs I've ever used).