• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marklavar

• jd50ae

• WilliamK

• Emlee

Do you mean washable? There is no such word as 'eradicable'.

Yes, there is. It's from the root 'eradicate'...

http://www.answers.com/eradicable&r=67

Smartass!

In anycase, in English you erase ink, you do not 'eradicate' it.

Uh oh! In that case please disregard the Pelikan Ink Eradicator on this Pengallery page:

Pelikan Ink Eradicator

Doug

In anycase, in English you erase ink, you do not 'eradicate' it.

I first learned the words "eradicate" and eradicator" from my school teacher in the Fourth Grade. She was asking another teacher if she had some ink eradicator. And in fact that was what was written on the bottle. The stuff was officially called "ink eradicator."

I haven't seen any of that stuff since the '50s. But it was American made.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Some times I wonder what the use of buying a $150 pen is when I can get a $3 throwaway that writes as well.

Ah - but would you trade your $150 pen for 50 disposable Pilots? Depends on your life expectancy, I suppose. :)

Ah, but the person with the Pilot Varsity fountain pen doesn't necessarily have to throw it away when it runs out of ink.

I was able to pretty easily pull the nib/feed out of one. Others have reported success in refilling Pilot Varsitys with bottled ink. When I get the time I'm planning on trying just that. And those babies hold quite a bit of ink, too.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Some times I wonder what the use of buying a $150 pen is when I can get a $3 throwaway that writes as well.

Ah - but would you trade your $150 pen for 50 disposable Pilots? Depends on your life expectancy, I suppose. :)

Ah, but the person with the Pilot Varsity fountain pen doesn't necessarily have to throw it away when it runs out of ink.

I was able to pretty easily pull the nib/feed out of one. Others have reported success in refilling Pilot Varsitys with bottled ink. When I get the time I'm planning on trying just that. And those babies hold quite a bit of ink, too.

I guess this is what you need to do if you're either (1) an incredibly tight s.o.b. or (2) trailer trash on social benefits. :lol:

I think I'd rather spend $150 on a standard refillable pen with a gold nib. :D

There are a few less insulting categories one might belong to:

(3) Find it fun to refill a $3 pen

(4) Prefer to recycle than to add to the environmental burden of our throwaway culture

(5) Actually like the Varsity enough to try it with different inks

I am new to this. I chose them because the nip was meant for normal writing verses the first one I picked up. I just wanted to try them. But I can tell you that they do seem to work very well. I have one on my desk here at home and will be taking one to work with me a few minutes.

I will at some point buy a nice unit, but for now they do the trick.

.\\itch - "When all is said and done, love is trite compared with the spirituality of a tobacco pipe.

-Jules deGancourt

"Man, the creature who knows he must die, who has dreams larger than his destiny, who is forever working a confidence trick on himself, needs an ally. Mine has been tobacco. "

-John Boynton Priestley

http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=398

How do you refill it, exactly? I would be interested in doing this not because i am a "cheap s.o.b." <_< but because i hate adding to the great trash pile we've come to consider all of the earth... :bonk: I could put some more interesting colors in the black & blue pens i have if i could learn how to refill them. :)9

Will they become weak/leaky with multiple refills? anybody found a limit to the number of times these are truly useable before they become absolutely disposable? :P

I ink, therefore I am.

Seems like I remember taking the nib and feed out of a Varsity. Considering I might have been in my early teens at the time, it was probably empty. The repercussions from an ink mishap at that time would have been unpleasant.

For those who have done this, which replacement inks worked well, and did the pen develop any leaks?

Thank you,

-William

(4) Prefer to recycle than to add to the environmental burden of our throwaway culture

Sorry - couldn't resist having a dig! :)

What's next? Sending a Varsity to Richard B. to give it a right-footed, semiflex, .6 stub nib? :roflmho:

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

eradicable does indeed evolve from eradicate- which itself comes from the Latin prefix e(x) and the root, radix (root); however, the word eradicative is probably preferred, being more frequently encountered.

Eradicatory is even less frequently encountered, but is acceptable.

If one thinks of all the ink(?) spent on this exercise, one might be tempted to subject it to either eradication or extirpation.

Ah- now my Monday is complete.

Tony

eradicable does indeed evolve from eradicate- which itself comes from the Latin prefix e(x) and the root, radix (root); however, the word eradicative is probably preferred, being more frequently encountered.

Eradicatory is even less frequently encountered, but is acceptable.

If one thinks of all the ink(?) spent on this exercise, one might be tempted to subject it to either eradication or extirpation.

Ah- now my Monday is complete.

Tony

:blink: huh, what did Tony say........................ :blink:

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

Just another 2-cents. I sort of like these little pens. I think they are very reliable and they write pretty well, and I have some around the office and the work shop. As long as they are available, I will keep a few around.

(As a side note, I recall there was a product called "ink eradicator" from the 1950's or early 1960's. I always heard the word "eradicator" used a a noun. One used the "ink eradicator" to "erase" ink from a page, or so I was taught many decades ago.)

(3)  Find it fun to refill a $3 pen

(4)  Prefer to recycle than to add to the environmental burden of our throwaway culture

(5)  Actually like the Varsity enough to try it with different inks

What's next? Sending a Varsity to Richard B. to give it a right-footed, semiflex, .6 stub nib? :roflmho:

Or, use the Varsity when YOU want to practise grinding a right-footed, semi-flex, 0.6mm stub. A better choice than your Pelikan 800 wouldn't you say? :)

Our local university bookstore has them in black for around $3.20. I bought one, and it's pretty good. But I don't think it's as good as my Sheaffers. I like having some weight in the back of the pen because it helps me keep it in the best writing position. The Sheaffers have it, but the Varsity doesn't. But for only $3.20, maybe it shouldn't.

Thank you,

-William

How do you refill it, exactly? I would be interested in doing this not because i am a "cheap s.o.b." <_< but because i hate adding to the great trash pile we've come to consider all of the earth... :bonk: I could put some more interesting colors in the black & blue pens i have if i could learn how to refill them. :)9

Will they become weak/leaky with multiple refills? anybody found a limit to the number of times these are truly useable before they become absolutely disposable? :P

Hi Emlee,

I don't know the answer to the second part of your question since I haven't refilled my Varsity (or V-Pen, as it's known here in Canada), but there are a couple of methods discussed re: refilling the disposable Varsity here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=7263

(check out Old Griz's long post in the middle of page 2 for the method that doesn't involve nib removal---apparently the nibs are pretty hard to remove so Griz's method may be the way to go...Again, I haven't tried it myself)

I like the reliability of my V-Pen; it starts up every time without a second of hesitation. Amazing, really....(or have we become so used to modern pens that have this problem? :rolleyes: )

Edited by Maja

Hi Emlee,

I don't know the answer to the second part of your question since I haven't refilled my Varsity (or V-Pen, as it's known here in Canada), but there are a couple of methods discussed re: refilling the disposable Varsity here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=7263

(check out Old Griz's long post in the middle of page 2 for the method that doesn't involve nib removal---apparently the nibs are pretty hard to remove so Griz's method may be the way to go...Again, I haven't tried it myself)

I like the reliability of my V-Pen; it starts up every time without a second of hesitation. Amazing, really....(or have we become so used to modern pens that have this problem? :rolleyes: )

THANK you for this link. I read through & copied some of the responses. I have a black Varsity that is just about empty. I think it needs some green ink.... :D

Although, i do have friend going to Germany in 2 weeks and the German V-pens come in green...and yellow... and red... and... :P

I ink, therefore I am.

THANK you for this link. I read through & copied some of the responses. I have a black Varsity that is just about empty. I think it needs some green ink.... :D

Although, i do have friend going to Germany in 2 weeks and the German V-pens come in green...and yellow... and red... and... :P

You're welcome; I am better at remembering threads in which I posted (vs. ones I've only read) :lol:

Oooh, V-Pens that come with inks other than black.....Cool! B)

I am actually looking forward to trying to refill my Pilot V-Pen so I can try Old Griz's method. :P