New User, Lamy 2K Flushing/cleaning.

ScribeScott

Hi all,

Been a non-registered reader for a while, but decided it was time to pop up and say something :vbg:

So, I've been a user of a Lamy AL-Star w/converter and Diamine black ink for a short while now, (just popped on a 1.1 italic recently). I've flushed and cleaned my AL-Star regularly with tap water and haven't had an issue. Here's my question though; I've recently been giving a new Lamy 2000 and I've heard people say that distilled water is best etc. Now, I intend to flush my Lamy 2000 before inking it up and I just wanted to see what people thought about using tap water? Is it just being a little pedantic to use distilled water and tap water will be fine?

The tap water in my location (Manchester, England, UK) is good quality and not "hard" water, I and others drink it and notice no issues.

Also, I'm lead to believe that distilled water isn't as common or easy to source as it is in the USA.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks and regards,

Scott.

My Pens- Lamy AL-Star 1.1 italic, Lamy 2000 Medium, Surefire EWP-01 w/Uni-Ball Signo refill, Parker Jotter Stainless Steel w/Schmidt easyFLOW 9000M and a few more

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tempo

• Wolverine1

• doggonecarl

• ScribeScott

Top Posters In This Topic

Your pen will be OK flushed in tap water. I too have water from my tap that isnt "hard water" and I have been flushing my pens since my days as a student at the university- and I havent noticed anything gone wrong.

I use tap water to rinse all my fountain pens. Distilled water? I might avoid using the water from a puddle in the street, but using distilled seems carrying it a bit far. I will be interested in hearing from those who go to that extreme.

Enjoy your Lamy 2000. Great pen.

I used de-mineralised water to flush my pens. But then the water at my place is so hard it's almost crunchy.

I use water filtered by a Japanese water purifier. With 5 layers of protection.

The Japanese are... careful people, they have UV light home cleaning systems....

and for people who don't like cats, ultrasound cat barriers.... and key chains to remove static electricity on hands and so on...

Products of this kind leak over to Hong Kong/China in due time :ph34r: .

As to your question. The filter in my filtering thing does wear out over time...(shown by the decreased water flow/pressure as the filter is blocked by things in the water.)

So tap water did have things in them. (I live in Canada BTW)

...carrying it a bit far. I will be interested in hearing from those who go to that extreme.

an internet search of water took me to the freshwater aquarium community... people who keep fish as pets......

extreme is the word...

they are like chemical engineers...

:ninja:

I usually have a jug of distilled water around for other purposes, and the local water is hard, so I sometimes use it for flushing my pens. I'm not consistent about it, however.

(Now I am slightly interested in looking up the chemistry of hard water deposits and seeing if running a slightly acid ink (as in, iron gall) would flush a pen of any microscopic mineral deposits.)

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

If you want to use Distilled Water you can get it from car accessory shops like Halfords and the like....it was about £1.49 a litre a couple of years ago...it goes by the name of De-ionised water now and should be near the car batteries section....I think a chemist will tell you it's not the same as distilled...and I'm sure they are correct...but it's what we in the UK use in steam irons and car batteries and the like....basically anywhere we use to use Distilled Water and is fine for purpose. Personally, I use tap water...even though it is pretty hard around here....tasty though :thumbup:

I have been using normal tap water for years on my 2000, but then again the water in my area isn't really that hard.

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?