An Enthusiast's Collection

pavoni

Montblanc an appreciation

I present my humble collection for your consideration. In part, this is by way of thanks to you wonderful FPNers, from whom I have taken more than my fair share of knowledge and ideas, encouragement and inspiration. :clap1:

You would clearly not need to search too hard in the MB Forum to find a far more valuable, rarer or more important collection of MBs, than mine. However, I hope, in your review of my pens, you can at least appreciate the discipline required to focus on such relatively narrow collecting criteria, as I had purposefully set myself. Whilst my type of collection will not be to everyones taste, hopefully, one or two of my pens will tease a knowing smile or nod of appreciation. :embarrassed_smile:

My collection is made up of four Sets, where a Set comprises of either a grouping of related series (14#, 24#, 34# etc) or a straight forward grouping of single pens under a loose theme. The main part of my collection demonstrates my preference for MB vintage, piston-fillers, in conservative dress, which were in production or introduced for the German market between 1934 and 1954.

My First Set consists of those modern MBs comprising the core of my weekly/work rotation. Typically, I am accompanied to my office by two piston-fillers, a rollerball or ballpoint and a pencil. My trigger for rotation is whenever a FP needs refilling, thus giving me ample opportunity to regularly dip into the main part of my collection and experience the excitement of using one of my cherished vintage pens.

fpn_1344038532__dscn0112.jpg

MB 149, 2010 (OF bespoke personalised nib)

MB 146, 1985 (M nib)

MB 145 Homage de Chopin, 1998 (M nib)

MB 163 Rollerball, 1998

MB 165 Pencil, 1998 (0.7mm)

MB 166 Highlighter, 1998

MB 114 Mozart, 1996 (M nib)

MB 116 Mozart Ballpoint, 1996

MB 117 Mozart Pencil, 1996

fpn_1344038403__imag0284.jpg

My modern MB 149, with its bespoke and personalised OF nib, makes for an invaluable companion for my MB daily (A5) organiser, where MBs mystery black ink conspires with my MB diary and note paper to betray my daily activities. I am not a fan of engraved pens however; MBs personalisation of my 149s nib is perfectly discreet. The fact that mine was only MBs fourth such personalisation for a UK customer is the likely reason why, when writing with my modern 149, I am often found wearing a silly smug grin!

My Second Set comprises my 1950s MB collection, where I am strictly interested only in the direct replacements of the 13#, 23# and 33# series. I speak of course of the MB 14#, 24#, and 34# series, together with accompanying Pix pencils.

fpn_1344038669__dscn0114.jpg

149 (M nib)

146 (M nib)

144 (OB nib)

142 (OBB nib)

Pix 172 (pencil 1.18m)

Pix 172K (pencil 1.18mm)

246G (B nib)

244 (M nib)

242G (OBB nib)

Pix 272 (pencil 1.18mm)

Pix 272K (pencil 1.18mm)

344 (OBB nib), early version

344G (OF nib), late version

3-42 (M nib), early version

342G (M nib), late version

Pix 372 (pencil 1.18mm)

Whilst I have a weakness for the earlier flat top caps, one cant help but be taken by this 1950s Sets streamlined shape and uniformity. I love its completeness, its synchronicity. Take a moment to note the matching clips and cap bands of each series. Just look how this Set lines up, as if on parade, ready for the Adjutant to carry out his inspection. I am sure you fellow sufferers can really appreciate the extent to which the collectors mania must have gripped me, until I had satisfied this strict and particular Set.

My Third Set is made up of the MB 13#, 23#, and the 33# series, together with accompanying MB Pix pencils, as introduced between 1934 and 1952. I am intrigued by the history and, in frustrating contrast to the previous Set, the sheer variation of this Set, including the interesting sub-series of kriegsmodell.

fpn_1344039106__dscn0116.jpg

Pix L71, 1936 (pencil 1.18mm)

L139, 1946-8 (F-M nib, 250) celluloid body, ebonite cap.

138, 1939 (OB nib)

136, 1937 (B (M) nib)

136, 1940s (steel nib) wartime version, no ID marks

136, 1947-8 (F nib), transitional version

134, 1939 (BB Steel nib)

134, 1940s (F nib) wartime version

134, 1947-8 (OM nib) transitional version

132, 1937 (OBB nib)

K132, 1937 (OBB nib) short version

Pix L72, 1937 (pencil 1.18mm)

This Set includes a late MB 139 sporting a rather curious stripe-less, short ink window. Contrast that with the long window of my early MB 138. The transitional MB 136, with its prismatic clip and engraved middle cap band, is one of number of such variations available to the collector. The MB 134 likewise. I am pleased with my L71 and L72 pencils, which are far more attractive than any contemporary imitator. Unfortunately, the fatter L73 continues to elude me, though hopefully not for long (anyone?). My MB 236, MB 235 and MB 334 were difficult to track down and then required the legendary skills of Max Schrage (Maxpens) to make them presentable. My 234½s demonstrate again the variety available during this fascinating period of pen production. Indeed, I wonder just how many versions of this popular model one could collect!

fpn_1344039352__imag0249.jpg

fpn_1344040117__dscn0117.jpg

Pix 72, 1935 (pencil 1.18)

236, 1939 (OBB No 6 nib)

235, 1935-6 (O italic No 5 nib)

234-1/2, 1940 (B Palladium nib), long cap

MB 234-1/2, 1940s (M No 4 ½ Steel nib) wartime version

234-1/2G, 1950 (F nib), luxury version

232G, 1948 (EF nib)

232, 1943-6 (EF No 2 Steel nib), wartime version

232, 1940s (F No 2 nib) short version

334, 1935-6 (OM Warranted b nib)

334-1/2, 1937 (F No 4 ½ nib)

334-1/2, 1943-6 (M No 4 ½ nib Steel nib), wartime version

fpn_1344040307__dscn0118.jpg

Pix 82, 1936 (pencil 1.50)

Pix 82, 1940 (pencil 1.50)

333-1/2, 1937 (M No 3 ½ nib)

333-1/2, 1943-6 (BB nib) wartime version

332, 1939 (OB No 2 Steel nib)

332, 1943-6 (M flex No 2 Steel nib), wartime version

432, 1938, large red dot version

Pix 92, 1934 (pencil 1.18)

I find the kriegsmodell, in their understated wartime dress, rather elegant and an intriguing part of this Set. One could quite easily collect these alone and have just as interesting a collection. These wartime versions are testament to the ingenuity and persistence of Montblanc, as they sought to protect and promote the brand, despite the increasing scarcity of key materials and an ever worsening situation at hand. One can only admire the sheer determination of Montblanc, and other such companies of the time, to continue with the business of retailing, whilst being forced to submit a large part of their resources to the horrid business of war. Unfortunately, reference material for this period is scarce, what with Montblancs own notes and records of the time being lost in the allied bombing of Hamburg in late 1944. So far, I have only managed to acquire a few catalogues from 1930 up to 1939 and as such I rely on the single picture within Roslers excellent The Montblanc Diary & Collectors Guide and the superb pictorial resource at Penboard.de, fountainpen.de and our own FPN. I have yet to see however, similar wartime versions of the MB 139, MB 138 or indeed any of the pencils. Did/do they exist? :hmm1:

fpn_1344039531__wartime.jpg

My Fourth Set consists of those early acquired pens which now seem distinctly removed from my main collection. However, if my collection only consisted of Montblancs 2009 Writer Edition, a Nakaya, two Pelikan M1000s, Viscontis LE Nouvelli Augusta, a Platinum President, two Parkers, and a Fountainbel Bulkfiller Demonstrator, I would be proud. In reality, the majority of these pens are now nice to have rather than need to have and as such, they are a bit of a luxury and vulnerable to being sold off to repair my bank balance. If I can keep them however, I will, as each is a fabulous writer in its own right. In the meantime, they remain friends of mine; exotic guests among a collection of conservative MBs. And though they are no less demanding in their calls to be routinely handled, polished and admired, sadly, that for now remains the extent of their role, in anticipation of satisfying the needs of a new and more demanding owner. The Fountainbel bulkfiller with its titanium medium nib however, is a keeper as, given its huge ink capacity, it replaces my trusty MB 145 Chopin as my chosen companion when away from the office on business or when on holiday.

fpn_1344039765__dscn0119.jpg

Writing with one of my fountain pens is always a special event for me because all my pens are special. I am fortunate in my employment that I am able to exploit every opportunity to write personal letters on a daily basis and as such, have every chance to enjoy my pens throughout most days. With over 30 years experience of touch-typing, I can easily appreciate the cost in time of handwriting just a single personal letter and its envelope. I believe convenience to be a rather selfish reward of the Typist, whose mechanical output can hardly be termed personal. With time being the most precious of all gifts available to one, I truly relish the inconvenience of hand-writing a letter, which I try to do in such a way as to provide the reader with every chance of appreciating my effort employed.

I personally need a theme to justify collecting anything. It was whilst browsing Whats Your Most Recent MB Purchase? that I found the direction for my pen collection. I came across Gdownes post of 21st February 2011 (post #253) and was stopped in my tracks, taken as I was by the wonderful proportions of this elegant model. I immediately realised that it simply had to be vintage MBs for me from then on. Through Gdownes post I discovered the brilliant Max, without whom my humble collection would certainly not have been at all presentable. :notworthy1: Maxs professionalism and expertise marks him out as a true Master of vintage MB pens. :notworthy1: Likewise, Eric Wilson (eckifump), who has kindly revived a number of my pens and pencils by removing the graffiti of previous owners, with the type of skill normally associated with a Harley Street cosmetic surgeon.

I am glad to have found the FPN, when I did. Initially reading everything without understanding anything, I was immediately taken by the elegant posts of QM2, Ghost Plane and Blade Runner (see early posts in What MBs are you using today?). I have enjoyed the wit and photography of erthernautrix (best personalised pens!), and benefited substantially from the knowledge of those such as Michael R, Barry Gabay, Niksch, and the incredible Fountainbel (who obviously has two brains), and of course hari317, whose dissections of pens make for essential and repeated reading. I have admittedly been green with envy at the collections or purchases of sunnerd, darius, georges zaslavsky, Wael El-Dasher, christof (best pen photos on FPN period!), goodguy, karmakoda, BrandonA and rocksypder et al. The ever supportive draeolheli and makar and then there is shrinknib, whose sheer enthusiasm for collecting pens defies medical description. The aforementioned have typified what the FPN is all about sharing experience and knowledge. Hopefully you have enjoyed my small contribution. Thank you for viewing. :D

fpn_1344039922__imag0258.jpg

Pavoni.

Edited by pavoni

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pavoni

• Pen Nut

• camoandconcrete

• Pensively

Egad.

Any one of your collections would be an accomplishment.

Your understated descriptions reflect well on both you and the effort you have made assembling them.

Thanks for sharing,

gary

Pavoni, you've just won the best post of the day! :thumbup:

Great intuitive post and great eye candy shots! It takes some serious testaments to collect all these series I have to say, kudos to you!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Wow! Pavoni, that's quite the collection you've assemble...thanks for sharing!

:thumbup:

Although I noticed I made at least 2 contributions to the ensemble.... ;)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Thank you for your humbleness on sharing your collection.

Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men.../JFK

Now this is what a call a 'serious collection' of MBs. Great effort and passion you got there Pavoni!

Thank you for sharing!

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

Brilliant stuff! I love the way you group them and put the pens into context. That is very much what keeps me going and adding that "just another one" every time I find something that I'm still missing :)

Well, Sir, you really hit this one out of the ballpark. I wholeheartedly agree with Soot this would be the post of the day.

What I find most fascinating, as a user of fountain pens, is the vast array of different nibs from different periods you have brought together. To me this will always remain one of the most interesting aspects of fountain pens.

I also think you are being far too modest. While your collection does not contain any pens with precious metals or other precious materials, its historic value simply cannot be overstated. In fact, you have created a reference that I will come back to. And in my opinion, the most valuable collection is always one's own after all. And you have given this thread a proper title, for this is indeed an Enthusiast's Collection.

Cheers,

Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

OMG! That's a wonderfully themed collection, pavoni! Hats off, thanks for sharing! :notworthy1:

It has to be with lots of patience in order to collect all these pens! Wonderful stuff! :thumbup:

I noticed your pencases seem to be all made by Geoff Morris? Then we share more things than MB pens! :roflmho:

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

I appreciate the kind comments. Our collections are very different. Yours for starters is three times larger than mine and contains some beautiful vintage pens :puddle: mine has a very narrow focus.

I think I need to buy a copy of the Collectible Stars booklet, read up on the different pens and start a vintage collection of my own. Maybe in 20 years I could have something half as extensive as yours.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

There wasn't a fainting emoticon, so I shall have to use this one instead : :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and photographs of your extensive collection!

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Amazing! Thank you, Pavoni, for sharing such an impressive collection. Your commentary makes the photos all the more enjoyable. Thank you very much for your educational text and superb photos. All the best, Barry

Edited by Barry Gabay

This is an outstanding collection. Any one of those pens is an accomplishment in its own right. That discreet personalization on the nib is superb.

I am truly overwhelmed by your reactions to my post (I am supposed to be thanking you!) :notworthy1: You are all very kind.

fpn_1344102043__dscn0122.jpg

Thank you

Pavoni

Edited by pavoni

Dear Pavoni,

I'm completely overwhelmed....... what a beautiful collection, my sincere congratulations !

I also collect MB - only the pens equipped with the impressive telescopic filling system - looks I still have a long way to go though ....

Glad and honoured the CONID/ Fountainbel bulkfiller found its place between these beauties !

Best regards,

Francis

What an amazing collection! Your subtle and humble reflections on the pens reveals a truly great soul. Thank you for educating all of us in your kind and gentle way!