Nakaya Nibs

mongrelnomad

I was passing through Banhoffstrasse in Zurich today and noticed something unusual in the window of Landolt-Arbenz: a fairly understated red pen. Looking a little closer, to my surprise I realised it was a Nakaya - not just any Nakaya, but the fabled Ascending Dragon Cigar.

I ventured inside and downstairs into what must be one of the most astonishing treasure-troves in pen-dom. Indeed, there were Nakayas, but also Pilot Namikis and Sailors, Krones and Pelikans, Viscontis, Omas, Montegrappas and GvFKs, STDs and Cartiers, along with hundreds of special editions by any manufacturer you care to mention. Even MaxPens's very own Astoria - both Davids and Goliaths - was represented. And ALL were inked and ready to test!

I drooled. Then I drooled some more. Then I thought I was going to faint.

When I regained some semblance of verticality, I shuffled over to the Nakaya cabinets and asked to see one - a Cigar with a beautiful golden makie-artwork of storks embellished with a raiden sky.

"What nib do these come with?" I asked, expecting something dull but worthy.

"Well sir, that one is a rigid Music Nib, but we have quite a few. Would you care to try the testers?"

I swear, I nearly fell over. The sight of these raw ebonite pens by this most Japanese of producers splayed out before me was not what I had expected of a Tuesday morning, and the opportunity to test, side-by side, every nib they make - from a Super Extra Fine all the way up to an Elastic Music nib - was a true treat and an eye-opening experience. They were truly amazing and many, especially the elastics in the broader widths, were completely unlike anything I had tried by any other producer.

Indeed, the biggest surprise for my fineness obsessed hand was that my favourite by far was the Elastic Double Broad Stub. Soft, springy and wet with awesome line variation and an eminently usable width, I was completely smitten.

Now if only I can convince myself to raise the Nakaya shield :roflmho:

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• mongrelnomad

• Lady Spencerian

• geoduc

Wow! Sounds like you tripped into fantasyland!

As for Nakaya Shield... you know what activates it, right?

Ordering a Nakaya. Then you can't buy any more pens until the Nakaya arrives.

So, ah, did you activate it?

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

It would have been difficult to walk out of there emptyhanded.

I don't have a shield up right now, and even hearing the story makes it hard for me not to buy one. :)

Steve

What an opportunity! I'm jealous. You didn't happen to make a test page with all the different nibs and take it home, did you? I'd love to see a scan.

Ethernautrix, I seem to have discovered a flaw in the Nakaya Shield. While it has kept me from ordering pens from different makers, it has not prevented me from ordering more Nakayas.

Indeed, the biggest surprise for my fineness obsessed hand was that my favourite by far was the Elastic Double Broad Stub. Soft, springy and wet with awesome line variation and an eminently usable width, I was completely smitten.

This really surprised me as it seems to be at polar opposites from what you might normally select.

I guess that I better put it in the short list.

Hex, aka George

Wow I am jealous ... the best I have in Austin is Paradise Pen and you have to beg someone to even touch a decent pen ...

I'm so jealous.

Having tried it, what do you think of the soft fine? I'm hoping it feels like the namiki falcon. If it does I think my wallet is sunk.

I have one of each. The soft fine is simply that, soft and just slightly flexible. The Falcon is more flexible and has more potential for line variation, but I much prefer using the Nakaya SF.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Ethernautrix, I seem to have discovered a flaw in the Nakaya Shield. While it has kept me from ordering pens from different makers, it has not prevented me from ordering more Nakayas.

Yes. That is the, ah, the... Nakaya Loophole.

Been the "victim" of it myself.

(Smiley)

etherX in To Miasto

Wow! Sounds like you tripped into fantasyland!

As for Nakaya Shield... you know what activates it, right?

Ordering a Nakaya. Then you can't buy any more pens until the Nakaya arrives.

So, ah, did you activate it?

Ahem... Ahem... *cough* mumble *cough* mumble *cough*

It would have been difficult to walk out of there emptyhanded.

Who says I did? ;) No, I did. It's just... there may be a *cough* delay *cough*

What an opportunity! I'm jealous. You didn't happen to make a test page with all the different nibs and take it home, did you? I'd love to see a scan.

I think i can safely say that I wanted all the Nakayas, and a fair few others. SO.. if you have a Nakaya shield and buy another Nakaya, thus activating the Nakaya Loophole ™, does that automatically invalidate the shield and allow the purchse of other brands too? :headsmack:

This really surprised me as it seems to be at polar opposites from what you might normally select.

I guess that I better put it in the short list.

Had I not tried it, I wouldn't even have considered it. Seems ignorance is sometimes bliss... :bawl:

Edited by mongrelnomad

I'm so jealous.

Having tried it, what do you think of the soft fine? I'm hoping it feels like the namiki falcon. If it does I think my wallet is sunk.

I have one on my Picollo, and it's a bit... meh. So meh in fact that I had it italicised. It's a nice nib, but a bit lacking in the wow factor. No line variation and a little bounce. What I would have defined as 'dull but worthy'. Don't have a Falcon to compare it to though...

Yes. That is the, ah, the... Nakaya Loophole.

Been the "victim" of it myself.

(Smiley)

*cough* *cough* *choke* help me........

I was feeling your excitement seeing all those beautiful pens around, even better getting to sample all the nibs.

You have me curious on the Nakaya Elastic Nib. I know that John at Classic Fountain Pens does not suggest the elastic nibs but I'm not sure why. It may have something to do with strength of the nib structure after cutting out the sides.

I have tried different Nakaya pens and find that even each soft nib differs. I have a medium ruthenium plated medium soft nib that is quite soft. I have a fine soft nib that tends towards the more firm side. My fine firm nib has a very different character. The fine firm actually gives a little line variation.

I may have to try out an elastic nib on my next Nakaya or switch out one of my nibs. I like the look of the elastic nib.

There is a Nakaya treasure den on the Bahnhoffstrasse in Zuerich?! Never would have guessed that one. Your description left me :drool: drooling on the keyboard. I was going to give my high school reunion in Switzerland a miss this year but, if inked Nakayas are just lying around, waiting to be fondled and test driven, on the Bahnhoffstrasse, I should give this further consideration. Thanks for sharing the news!

I have one of each. The soft fine is simply that, soft and just slightly flexible. The Falcon is more flexible and has more potential for line variation, but I much prefer using the Nakaya SF.

Thanks! I think i'm about to be poor.

There is a Nakaya treasure den on the Bahnhoffstrasse in Zuerich?! Never would have guessed that one. Your description left me :drool: drooling on the keyboard. I was going to give my high school reunion in Switzerland a miss this year but, if inked Nakayas are just lying around, waiting to be fondled and test driven, on the Bahnhoffstrasse, I should give this further consideration. Thanks for sharing the news!

Hmm. Zurich is only a 90 minute flight from here. Now I just need to find the right excuse to fly down there. I wonder if I can arrange to get 'extend' a meeting I have scheduled near the city in September to allow me to get along. I also wonder if I would get out without adding to my Nakaya set. Probably unlikely, unless the Swiss Franc exchange rate plus buying from a B&M store kills the urge. But a good experiment to try out.

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

Not only the pens, also the staff were a surprise: fountain pen geeks of the highest order. Each had opinions and knew the pens inside out and were so opinitonated that arguments broke out amongst them whilst I was 'browsing'. There was also one of the best selections of inks I've ever seen (Edelstein to Iroshizuku to Sailor to MB special editions) complete with swabs. Some pens were expensive, but generally, the prices were competitive...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Not only the pens, also the staff were a surprise: fountain pen geeks of the highest order. Each had opinions and knew the pens inside out and were so opinitonated that arguments broke out amongst them whilst I was 'browsing'. There was also one of the best selections of inks I've ever seen (Edelstein to Iroshizuku to Sailor to MB special editions) complete with swabs. Some pens were expensive, but generally, the prices were competitive...

What were some of the staff's favorite brands? Were they divided in opinion among European and Japanese manufacturers?

Edited by JustinJ

What were some of the staff's favorite brands? Were they divided in opinion among European and Japanese manufacturers?

It didn't get that granular: it was more 'debates' within brands, especially to do with nibs. There was quite an animated argument about Italian vs. German (specifically Omas vs. Pelikan) whilst I was there, but I think it was triggered by my own movements. I wasn't really in the talkative mood with the Japanese (more silently stunned)....

Inks were also problematic.

Edited by mongrelnomad

I think i can safely say that I wanted all the Nakayas, and a fair few others. SO.. if you have a Nakaya shield and buy another Nakaya, thus activating the Nakaya Loophole™, does that automatically invalidate the shield and allow the purchse of other brands too? :headsmack:

Oh wow, you might be impervious to the Nakaya Shield! *In awe!*

etherX in To Miasto

Ahem*PenPosse*hemhemhemharrumph.

Hee.

etherX in To Miasto