Highlighters For Bible Study?

BeachBum

I am looking for information on what highlighters work best on the typical Bible paper. I am using a standard ESV Bible, and want to be able to develop a highlighting system for different topics, categories, etc. Is it okay to just use normal highlighters (i.e. Bic), or should I be looking for a specific brand and/or ink in the highlighters? Any information would be appreciated!

“All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” ― Calvin Coolidge

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BeachBum

• Stompie

• pencils+pens

• lupillo23

Here's an alternative to highlighting:

Why don't you use different color inks to WRITE out the verse(s). Maybe use a journal or something.

I found that no matter what highlighter you use it will bleed through.

I did find some highlighter crayons - faber castell made them - they did not bleed at all!

Sorry, I do not have a link for them.

The big manufacturer/distributor specifically for Bible study is GTL:

http://www.gtluscombe.com/highlighters.html

You can also find most of his stuff on Amazon by asking for "dry highlighters."

Also given good write-ups was the STAEDTLER Textsurfer gel:

http://www.staedtler.com/textsurfer_gel_eng#ctl07_Tab-product-tab-1

Good luck.

Marc

When you say "black" to a printer in "big business" the word is almost meaningless, so innumerable are its meanings. To the craftsman, on the other hand, black is simply the black he makes --- the word is crammed with meaning: he knows the stuff as well as he knows his own hand. --- Eric Gill

BeachBum...

A few months ago a stumbled upon a very interesting site in a search for a ESV...BibleDesignBlog.com. On the right side of his home page are articles and you will find one on writing and hi lighting in your bible. Great info. And a very interesting blog.

Hope it helps...

D

Sakura Pigma pens. Brush for highlights and point pens for writing. I highlight with yellow brush and write with .05 orange or blue pointed pen. Very little to no bleed through. Enjoy.

John

You might consider the Pentel PH158 8 color lead pencil. Several sites on the web recommend it for bible study and highlighting.

jetpens.com stocks some of these and has free shipping on orders over $25

No affiliation.

I use some of the brush style ZIG hi-lighters I found on that site. Pressure on the brush takes it from super thin to quite broad. But then I'm not dealing with that horrific onion skin paper, so your mileage may differ

I have used J. Herbin apple green ink in a lime green Safari many times(and

will continue to do so) to squarely bracket a verse or verses in my Bible w/

out any bleed-through. I also put in notes whenever necessary.

I bracket verses to make them stand out w/out having to color them in.

My suggestion would be to try different inks to see what works.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Here's a link for the Faber Castell erasable crayons that Stompie mentioned

There are also a variety of sets and the 'regular' Faber Castell crayons available as well. Good luck - I definitely agree that almost anything other than a drier option than ink will bleed. I also think that a regular highlighter (ie the BIC you mentioned) would bleed as well... at least as far as my memory serves.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

I am looking for information on what highlighters work best on the typical Bible paper.

Just out of curiosity, what makes ‘Bible paper’ different from other paper? I assume it's not something like gevil, because I can't see people using a highlighter on a handwritten book.

“As we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came, and God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind.”Gene Cernan, 14 December 1972

What I have found with inks is even if they dont bleed immediately, give them a few weeks or months and they do.

It would seem that the oils from our hands affect them and cause bleeding through the pages, hence the crayons being, IMO the best option.

Thanks for the link zquilts!

Zebra Zazzle Brights

They are a 10-pack of liquid reservoir highlighters with very, very hard, stiff, dry tips. They let out a faint amount of ink for pastel colors, and they would be perfect for what you're doing. With the dry feed, they should last a long time (and then you can experiment with refilling them with the temperature vacuum trick!)

The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory - Chinese proverb

Dioxazine Letter Tracker

Just out of curiosity, what makes 'Bible paper' different from other paper?

A lot of bibles, especially the smaller ones that are taken to services, are made of very thin paper. The thin paper is used in order to keep the volume and size of the bible down. The thin paper tends to bleed thru with a lot of inks that do not bleed thru on thicker paper.

Staedtler makes pencil highlighters for bibles.

http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Starliter-Highlighter-Sharpener-146BK4B/dp/B002JG8VNQ/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

These would probably be safer to use on the ultra thin bible paper. I love that paper though.

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

For highlighters I love the Faber-Castell Textliner Dry series - 5.4mm woodcase pencils in the triangular Grip shape, available in five colours if you need to mark up different sections in different colours, and won't make print or fountain pen ink smear. I first found mine in a little stationer/newsagent in Louth a few years back, and I wouldn't use another highlighter now. Well, except maybe that BBB demonstrator M200... but that's the shiny talking.

I can recommend the Sakura Pigma Pens I use them in my ESV Bible with no problems. My wife

found some Sharpie GEL highlighters that seems to work good for her ESV.

Bible Design Blog is a great site to keep up with the latest bibles.

Edited by Merrib

so, to be clear - are you guys saying that the Noodler's brand of highlighting ink, including the "Firefly Highlighting Ink" as well as their "Dragon Series Highlighter Inks" all bleed through all papers, or just the tissue-thin papers?

WOW! Thank you all for the recommendations and links. I have a lot of research to do concerning the different options presented. I knew I could get the right information from all of you! :notworthy1:

“All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” ― Calvin Coolidge