Waterman Apostrophe

CaptainAnnoyed

Appeareance and design (8/10) I like the design of this pen. I find it to be simple and elegant, but this is subjective, of course. The metal barrel and cap are coated with very resistant chrome black lacquer, and I have read somewhere that the trimmings and the clip are 23k gold coated steel, but I am not sure :embarrassed_smile: The section is made out of slightly textured, matte plastic.

http://i.imgur.com/33I0K.jpg?1

Construction and quality (10/10) This pen is built like a tank. The fact that it is made of metal contributes to the feeling of sturdiness it gives. When you close the cap, it yells "hey, I'm closed like a bank vault!!" (ok, no, it doesn't, but it lets out a loud and comforting click ;) ) By now, you will have probably noticed the bent clip. It is not a production flaw, my not-so-little brother borrowed the pen and decided to leave his mark on it :rolleyes: .

Weight and dimensions (8/10) Wow, I am starting to sound a little biased, don't I? :roflmho: But the pen is that good (remember that it is not a high-end fp!) It measures 13,7 cm capped, 12.6 cm uncapped and 16 cm posted. As you can see in the pictures, it is about the same size as a Lamy Safari. However, it is heavier, and feels more...substantial (I don't know if that's the word). I can comfortably use it either capped or uncapped. The plastic section is 3 cm long and a bit slippery, being this one of the only problems I see with this pen. I solved it by wrapping a bit of transparent tape around it (Hey, it's not classy, but it works). The pen is very slightly top-heavy when uncapped (and capping it obviously does not solve the problem!), but it is not annoying at all, at least for me.

http://i.imgur.com/5ZqvR.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/pgtXX.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/x2g8J.jpg?1

Nib and performance [7(9)/10] I have included two califications in this section. The first one (7) refers to the nib as it came from the factory and the second one (9), to the nib after adjustment. I picked a 23kt gold plated steel fine nib, and it was not bad out of the box, it didn't grab the paper when writing and the flow was fine, but it had too much feedback for my taste (although not enough to call it scratchy). I increased the ink flow a bit by separating the tines with my fingers and then I used a 12000 grit micromesh pad to smooth out the tip, so now I get a very smooth writing experience with this nib, also when I flip it to write finer lines. (Also, it's a very firm nib, so don't expect much line variation)

http://i.imgur.com/fd1BT.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/OFjOY.jpg?1

Filling system and maintenance (5/10) Nothing fancy. This pen carries standard international Waterman cartridges/converters, that hold a decent amount of ink and does not need special maintenance. The barrel is easily unscrewed, which allows to access the converter (pressure fit), but the nib can not be removed without risking damage to the section.

Cost and value(8/10) I purchased this pen four years ago for around $50, and it was a good buy. I have used it extensively, and there are no scratches or chipping on the barrel or the trimmings, and that proves its good construction. I think this pen represents very high value for the money!

Conclusion: Before nib adjustment: 46/60 = 7'6/10| After nib adjustment: 48/60 = 8/10 If you are looking for a nearly inexpensive pen that will last for a lifetime, this is what you want. I think it would make a great gift as a first fountain pen.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainAnnoyed

• watch_art

• revdrjaydwright

• Montblanc owner and lover

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad to hear about your positive experience with this Waterman. My first two pens were lower-end Watermans - Phileas and Hemisphere - and they represent, to me, a great value in a great product. And, I really enjoy the "CLICK" when I place the cap on the pen - great feeling and sound - just like a bank vault. :)

very nice pen but you should kill your brother ;)

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

I remember the days when it was sold in penshops, it was considered as an outstanding value for money and it still is.Thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time