Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa

josiah

This is my first ink review, and I hope I didn't leave much out. Most of my responses to Rohrer & Klingner's Scabiosa are written in the images, but I'll include some additional notes as I go. First:

http://josiahboothby.org/inkreviews/scabiosa/scabiosa-music.jpg

Before this test, I'd done some small water tests (with tap water as well as my saliva (ew! gross!)) and found it was sufficiently water-fast for my preferences, but pouring tap water over the bottom of the page showed some of the limits of this ink. The writing is still clear, but some of the reddish pigment spreads out; this was clear at the time of rinsing it, but it's still quite visible on the left side. On most papers, it also seems to dry more quickly, but this is a rather glossy page.

http://josiahboothby.org/inkreviews/scabiosa/scabiosa-transparent-paper.jpg

I like to write letters on this transparent paper. I think showthrough is elegant, and transparency takes full advantage of that. It's not the best for long letters that might warrant writing on both sides of the page. I should note that the color in real life looks more grey and washed-out than this picture suggests. I did not manage to correct the color for this image as well as for some of the others.

http://josiahboothby.org/inkreviews/scabiosa/scabiosa-nakabayashi.jpg

I find it's useful to have a little book in my pocket for taking little notes and making business cards if I forgot to stock up (or just doodling when my hands are idle). This Nakabayashi "Petite Note" book is great on all counts: it's more tolerant of the inks I put on it than everything else I've tried (even when I use flex!), it's got tear-off pages, and it's small. Oh yeah, and cheap. I'm tempted to do a review of this little thing later, but suffice to say I like it. The one critique I have with this pad is something that seems worse with the Scabiosa than with some other inks: it seems not to like skin oils at all, so I get feathering and bleeding that doesn't show up here.

I've included a hastily-written recipe to attempt to show how the ink darkens after some time (this was written a week or two ago). In addition, the scanner amplifies the showthrough, but I won't deny that some show-through is visible. Some of that is the paper, and as I've said before, I love a little showthrough.

http://josiahboothby.org/inkreviews/scabiosa/scabiosa-hammermill.jpg

Guess who has two thumbs and should have adjusted his Konrad to have better flow before using it in a review? This guy ;) Anyway, this image seems to hide some of the feathering I note. Maybe it isn't as bad as I thought it was at first, though what I remember seeing was already quite mild... maybe I've just gotten a little spoiled with the glossy music paper?

Lastly, I feel I should note that I got this ink (and the pens) from the fine folks at Goulet Pens. I'm not affiliated with them in any way other than being a happy customer.

Edited by josiah

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• josiah

• Lennart Wennberg

• jandrese

• kmyers

Hi,

Congratulations on your first Ink Review! :clap1:

I'm impressed that there was negligible bleed-though even when high pressure was used to flex the steel nibs of the Noodler's pens.

Oh, could you please post the remainder of the recipe?

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks for a nice review.

I've reently become quite a fan of R&K inks, and currently have 3 Pelikans loaded with them. I've got Salix in a 3b nib on my LE Blue Planet, Verdigris in a BB nib on one of my M800s, and Scabiosa in a medium nib on an M800. I think the broader nibs might suit this Scabiosa better though, so next time I refill I shall put it in the 2B pen, and move the Verdigris to a B nib.

Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Hi,

Congratulations on your first Ink Review! :clap1:

I'm impressed that there was negligible bleed-though even when high pressure was used to flex the steel nibs of the Noodler's pens.

Scabiosa has been proving itself to be very well-behaved with regards to not bleeding, even in wet lines, though that is no less a function of the paper in use.

I'll post the rest of the recipe soon... I was just a little embarrassed by my sloppy handwriting :P

Lovely review! You have such nice writing and your wear the ink well!

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Thank you josiah!

Scabiosa is one of the two inks that I currently use. I love to write letters on thick French paper with one of my Vacumatics filled with Scabiosa.

You only use (gulp) two inks!?! How do you do it? I've tried to reform myself, but for every ink I get rid of I seem to buy two.

As part of my iron gall phase I recently got Scabiosa. I need to write more with it, but it seems like an excellent ink. It even ran well from one of my problem child pens. Thanks for sharing your experiences in this very nice review.

A great review and amazing handwriting. Thank you!

Edited by januaryman

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

I love your review. After lurking here for years, I'm finally writing my first post. Your music manuscript is lovely and you've induced me to give the ink a try (I love purple). BTW, I played the Pavane for one of my college recitals.

My bottle of Scabiosa arrived this past week, and I'm currently using it in a Jinhao 159. When I tried a sample, it didn't really impress me, but for some reason I decided to go on and purchase a bottle anyway. I'm glad I did. I really like the way it looks on every paper I've tried, including an Ecosystem journal, a Gibson Markings journal, and HP 28# color laser paper, with no noticeable feathering. If I had not already purchased, your review would have certainly convinced me. Excellent penmanship, and as a former music major I enjoyed the well-done musical example also.

Thanks for the review, it may just tip me over the edge for this ink...

As for your handwriting, I thought at first that you loaded up a printer cartridge with scabiosa and printed the review! You should be very proud clap1.gif

Jack.

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR

Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

logo%2520resize.jpg

That is a very impressive review of this ink. I see what everybody is going ga-ga over!:puddle:

BTW, what do you do after you've boiled the fruit and sugar?

I'm really glad I took a look at your comprehensive review before making the call to Goulet's. I love the R&K Salix & want my first purple/violet ink to be the Scabiosa.

Many thanks!

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 2 weeks later...
BTW, what do you do after you've boiled the fruit and sugar?

Here's the recipe in total...haven't had time to write it out nicely enough to scan :P This is a fruit butter that I made with my father a few weeks ago, and it's one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten.

Apricot Raspberry Butter

6½ cups combined mixed apricots and raspberries (2+ cups raspberries & ~4½ cups apricots) [ed., this measure is of the crushed fruit]

4 c. sugar

½ c. lemon juice and 2 Tbsp. lemon zest (two medium-small lemons)

- Pit apricots and finely chop

- Crush raspberries and put through food mill

- zest lemons, squeeze juice

- add fruit and sugar

- bring to rapid, hard boil, five minutes stirring constantly

- reduce to medium low heat (heavy simmer), uncovered

- cook 60-75 minutes, stirring frequently to desired texture [ed., the mix gets gloopy like honey when dripped from a room-temp spoon]

- place in sterilized jars, label, give to friends

Fills about 6 half-pint jars.

• 2 months later...