Depository Of Handwriting And Calligraphy Styles and Discussion

caliken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Foundationaltext18500.jpg

Historically, Johnston used the minuscule w & v as shown in the alphabet. In the text example I've used the alternate versions, which I feel sit better in a body of writing.

Both the alphabet and this text were written with broad-edged nibs fitted in a Manuscript fountain pen.

The paper was Conqueror smooth white and the ink was Higgins Eternal.

If you would like to comment, please do so, on this thread.

Ken

Edited by caliken

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• WestLothian

• smk

• tdzb36

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For anyone looking for a specific exemplar, here is an up-to-date index of post numbers.

English Roundhand (Copperplate) #2

Italic #4

Uncial #13

Marking alphabet #15

Spencerian #18

Blackletter Rotunda #30

Gothic Batarde #35

Handwritten Kaufmann #39

Business Writing #42

Handwrittem Clerestory #45

Foundational Hand #60

Thanks, Caliken, for starting and maintaining this great resource! I'll be referring to it often, as I have the need to develop a nice hand with which to sign my wife & myself in at a formal function coming up this fall. Some sort of flourished Round-hand, Pointed Pen something-or-other, I reckon. QUESTION: Would I flourish all the caps, or just the initial "M" in Mr. & Mrs....?

By the way, Business Writing #42 looks nearly identical to what they tried to teach me in grade school in the '50s, to the best of my recollection.

Edited by escribo

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

A good idea Ken - here are some click links to help a bit.

A basic index with links to the handwriting sample

English Roundhand (Copperplate) #2 here

Italic #4 here

Uncial #13 here

Marking alphabet #15 here

Spencerian #18 here

Blackletter Rotunda #30 here

Gothic Batarde #35 here

Handwritten Kaufmann #39 here

Business Writing #42 here

Handwrittem Clerestory #45 here

Foundational Hand #60 here

I wonder if it is possible to put an index at the top of the thread by editing your first post?

Edited by WestLothian

I wonder if it is possible to put an index at the top of the thread by editing your first post?

Thanks for the links. Anything that helps easy access is a good idea IMO.

Creating an index at the top of the thread wouldn't work, because this would have to be done by a moderator and constantly updated as new exemplars are added.

The best we can do is to update the index, from time to time, within the thread.

Ken

I would be happy to help with an index of links if it would be generally considered worthwhile.

I would be happy to help with an index of links if it would be generally considered worthwhile.

The index you created above is actually quite useful. If you create one as a separate thread Iʻll pin it above the current depository. Only a moderator will be able to modify it (I think) but the initial work will be much appreciated.

Doug

The index you created above is actually quite useful. If you create one as a separate thread Iʻll pin it above the current depository. Only a moderator will be able to modify it (I think) but the initial work will be much appreciated.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I have posted the above text as a starting point. It could be tidied into a table or something more professional if the list grows beyond the size of a simple browse.

Alistair

Doug

Doug - will it be possible for a moderator to add the index to the first post of this thread? This way the thread will be completely self contained and neat.

Salman

Doug

Doug - will it be possible for a moderator to add the index to the first post of this thread? This way the thread will be completely self contained and neat.

Salman

I could simply edit my first post to do it your way? It would certainly be better to wipe that index thread and insert it here, but that apparently was not possible.

Edited by WestLothian

Zapf Italic #71

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Zapfone400.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Zapftwo400.jpg

Edited by caliken

This was written at a slope of 14 degrees from the vertical with a Manuscript pen fitted with a medium Italic nib and filled with Aurora black ink . The minuscule x height is 4mm.

The exemplar was written with a Rotring Artpen fitted with a 1.9 edged nib at a slope of 18 degrees from the horizontal. Anywhere between 10 and 15 degrees slope is acceptable.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/zapf5601-1.jpg

Edited by caliken

Just to remind everyone that this is a participating thread. Please feel free to write out and add an exemplar alphabet, and don't be put off by the word 'exemplar' It doesn't have to be calligraphic!

If you do join in, please follow the pattern of giving it a title adding the post number, and include all large and small letters and numerals, if they are available.

Ken

Edited by caliken

Blackletter Variation #73

This should be considered a sample and not an exemplar. I have written these using an exemplar of unknown origins for the Majuscules - a similar, if not identical, example is found in 'The Calligrapher's Bible'. I learned the Miniscule (with the exception of 'y') from this website: www.calligraphy-skills.com.

fpn_1342996265__gothic-blackletter-v2-edited.gif

Edited by smk

This style is fairly easy to learn but is demanding in execution as any discrepancy in spacing is readily apparent (see the word 'Precedes' below). Its fun to learn and practice though.

fpn_1342996563__actionprecedsmotivation-cut1.gif

Salman

Edited by smk

Ken, in Bickles book, a lot of the flourishes seem to have swells on the up stroke - is that because they are using more than one stroke to complete the letter?

Salman,

Blackletter Variation #73

There are many variations of Blackletter and this is one of the more attractive ones IMO; well-controlled and beautifully written. Certainly, a style worth adopting and copying.

Ken

Edited by caliken

Ken, in Bickles book, a lot of the flourishes seem to have swells on the up stroke - is that because they are using more than one stroke to complete the letter?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this book.

As flexible nib swells on upstrokes are impossible, the examples to which you refer, were probably drawn and not written, with the shades filled-in.

Ken

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this book.

As flexible nib swells on upstrokes are impossible, the examples to which you refer, were probably drawn and not written, with the shades filled-in.

Ken

Universal Penman, Sorry :embarrassed_smile:

Ken, in The Universal Penman, a lot of the flourishes seem to have swells on the up stroke - is that because they are using more than one stroke to complete the letter?

Stompie,

Some, but not all, of the majuscules by J Champion on page 152 of the Universal Penman, are apparently shaded upwards. In fact, these letters were written backwards, so that hairline upstrokes (left to right) become shaded downstrokes (right to left) The letters W and A on this page, are typical examples of the technique.

Ken