Alexander Dumas - Wrong Signature

wkiffin

Can anyone tell me what the controversy is surrounding the Alexander Dumas -Wrong Signature Pen? I understand that this series was released with the signature of his son rather than the senior Dumas and that Montblanc subsequently recalled the erroneous pens. However, some are still in collectors hands.

Is this true? and if so, what would a new sealed box Dumas be worth today?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psychobabble

• adelaidepen

• KJY

• fpupulin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What you've stated t correct. When the Dumas was originally released, it was released with the wrong signature, that of his sons. No one knows how many of the incorrect signature were sold. If you search this forum you should find a thread I which an image of both signatures Is displayed.

I have no idea of cost (or value) for a sealed Dumus, they prices don't tend tc differ too much though between the two signatures. What I do know though is that it is a both a great pen to write with and to admire visually with its marble effect barrel.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

For what I saw in the last few years in ebay auctions, the Alexandre Dumas with incorrect (son's) signature does not command an higher price, probably because as BrandonA correctly pointed out, nobody knows how many of them are still in the market of the original 15,000 "mistake fountain pens" (plus 5,000 sets, 11,000 ballpoint pens and 4,000 mechanical pencils) launched in 1996. Apart from the signature and a letter "N" added after the serial number, the pens are identical, and I agree with BrandonA that they are stunning instruments. The nib, which has the same size as the 149, is decorated with a fleur-de-lys (from the coat of arms of France's royalty) and is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful if not the most beautiful nib never produced by MB. As both the Dumas, father and son, were successful writers (even though "le pére" is more worldwide known), the original mistake is not, really, a big error, and leave space for personal literary preferences in choosing which of the two Dumas to buy.

It is noteworthy, however, that Montblanc can not definitively correct the mistake. Still today, in the Limited Edition Overview of MB's web site, under the page of Alexandre Dumas, they write:

"Incidentally, the first specimens of the Writers Edition Alexandre Dumas that were made erroneously carried the signature of his father - a mistake that has made this version a rare collector's item" [italics are mine]. As you see, once more they confuse the father with the son...

I doubt if there is a significant difference in the price of the two pens when NIB. I have both and use both. I have read post at various fora where owners of the son's signature pen have reported that when sent in for warranty work a correct signature pen returned. I cannot vouch for the validity of this but would not be surprised by it.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Mine is the son's signature version. Love this pen, it is a great writer and looker. I think the son's signature is the better looking of the two signatures.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 1 month later...

According to some dealers, the wrong signature version is only about 8000 pieces.

That would make it a very limited edition for the writer's series, even if was by mistake.

Inked

Rumour has it that the Montblanc worker that created the incorrect signature pen was sent one with the signature 'dumb ass' on the cap.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Rumour has it that the Montblanc worker that created the incorrect signature pen was sent one with the signature 'dumb ass' on the cap.

Now THAT pen would hold its value! :roflmho:

The Dumas FP with the incorrect son's signature is not so rare that it commands a much higher price than the correct father's signature, but I have seen collectors bid more for the son's signature, but not by much, since they knew it was a more rare pen. Then again, I have seen the FP with the son's signature go for a little less than ones with the father's signature when it wasn't advertised as such. The Dumas is a sought after pen for it's nib size as well as other qualities, so it may be that the higher priced ones were more due to the seller knowing it's worth and used this as a selling point.

A quick browse through eBay shows a sealed Dumas FP are selling from approx $1600 to $2200.

Regards, Stephen

According to some dealers, the wrong signature version is only about 8000 pieces.

That would make it a very limited edition for the writer's series, even if was by mistake.

Inked

Another (and possibly more rare) modern MB mistake is the Noir et Noir and the Rouge et Noir FPs that were the precursor for the Boheme, about 5000 were sold in June to mid Sept 2000 before MB recalled them due to an error with the name. But that is another thread....

Regards, Stephen

For what I saw in the last few years in ebay auctions, the Alexandre Dumas with incorrect (son's) signature does not command an higher price, probably because as BrandonA correctly pointed out, nobody knows how many of them are still in the market of the original 15,000 "mistake fountain pens" (plus 5,000 sets, 11,000 ballpoint pens and 4,000 mechanical pencils) launched in 1996. Apart from the signature and a letter "N" added after the serial number, the pens are identical, and I agree with BrandonA that they are stunning instruments. The nib, which has the same size as the 149, is decorated with a fleur-de-lys (from the coat of arms of France's royalty) and is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful if not the most beautiful nib never produced by MB. As both the Dumas, father and son, were successful writers (even though "le pére" is more worldwide known), the original mistake is not, really, a big error, and leave space for personal literary preferences in choosing which of the two Dumas to buy.

It is noteworthy, however, that Montblanc can not definitively correct the mistake. Still today, in the Limited Edition Overview of MB's web site, under the page of Alexandre Dumas, they write:

"Incidentally, the first specimens of the Writers Edition Alexandre Dumas that were made erroneously carried the signature of his father - a mistake that has made this version a rare collector's item" [italics are mine]. As you see, once more they confuse the father with the son...

Haha...

I noticed your preference in an another topic, but I thought it was a misstake of you when typing.

Now I know why.

Anyway I wanted to share with you that I like the Dumas that much that I searched for a backup.

This is what I found (MIB). Not consider to use it in a short term, but it is good to know that I have a backup when the other needs repair or service! (Both has the (in)correct signature of the father.)

fpn_1346580232__dumas_set.jpg

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom

Here's a photo with the signatures - look for the N after the serial number for the revised pens with the fathers signature which MB intended to be released.

post-30571-0-68394200-1346631922.gif

Montblanc POA Series

Haha...

I noticed your preference in an another topic, but I thought it was a misstake of you when typing.

Now I know why.

Anyway I wanted to share with you that I like the Dumas that much that I searched for a backup.

This is what I found (MIB). Not consider to use it in a short term, but it is good to know that I have a backup when the other needs repair or service! (Both has the (in)correct signature of the father.)

KJY, great move with your new acquisition! Congratulations. I also really love my Dumas (the father's signature), and I often thought about buying a second pen, maybe with a stubbish broad nib. Actually, none of the signatures is "incorrect", as both are the correct signatures of two great writers with the same name. Nevertheless, I confess you that, even though I consider La Dame aux camélias by Alexandre Dumas (fils), a classic "romantic" novel (which also inspired Verdi's La Traviata), I still have a distinct preference for the D'Artagnan and the Musketeers romances by Alexandre Dumas, pére, which I avidly read when a boy. This is the reason for which I searched for a "father" signature and, should I buy another one, I would like to find another with the same signature.

I am copying photographs of the fantastic Chateau de Monte Cristo, which Alexandre Dumas father built at Le Port-Marly, and which reflects his vivid imagination, of the smaller and eccentric Chateuax d'Ilf, which he built in the same property as his office, and of the touching reconstruction of his writing desk, where a Montblanc Dumas would be simply perfect!

fpn_1346643552__dumas.jpg

Haha...

Now I know why.

KJY, great move with your new acquisition! Congratulations. I also really love my Dumas (the father's signature), and I often thought about buying a second pen, maybe with a stubbish broad nib. Actually, none of the signatures is "incorrect", as both are the correct signatures of two great writers with the same name. Nevertheless, I confess you that, even though I consider La Dame aux camélias by Alexandre Dumas (fils), a classic "romantic" novel (which also inspired Verdi's La Traviata), I still have a distinct preference for the D'Artagnan and the Musketeers romances by Alexandre Dumas, pére, which I avidly read when a boy. This is the reason for which I searched for a "father" signature and, should I buy another one, I would like to find another with the same signature.

I am copying photographs of the fantastic Chateau de Monte Cristo, which Alexandre Dumas father built at Le Port-Marly, and which reflects his vivid imagination, of the smaller and eccentric Chateuax d'Ilf, which he built in the same property as his office, and of the touching reconstruction of his writing desk, where a Montblanc Dumas would be simply perfect!

fpn_1346643552__dumas.jpg

wow - these photos really make you understand more about the life these authors lived. You would certainly get inspiration writing at a desk like that in such an architectural environment :ltcapd:

Montblanc POA Series

Haha...

Now I know why.

Thank you!

Wow that is a lovely environment to put give your head some rest and put something on paper in all serenity!

My preferred supplier (no affiliation just a very happy customer):

Appelboom