Montblanc 146 - 1980's

TinyTim

Hi All,

I have a 1980's MB 146. It has a 14K gold nib (single tone). It has started leaking. I took it to the MB showroom where they are having a service week. They told me that i would have to replace all the internal parts as the pen was so old that it had got spoilt and they dont have the old parts. I explained that the point of it would be lost if all the internal mechanics were replaced with new ones. They counter sold saying that it would be like having a new pen ... in an old body :o

They said the only way they could do it is by replacing all the parts. they said it would cost Rs.8000/- approx USD 150/-.

I dont see the point in doing this.

Further the quality of customer service was poor to say the least. I always avoid going to them because are only interested in selling and not servicing the pens they have sold which is sad.

Your thoughts are welcome

Regards

Shan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TinyTim

• hari317

• osnofian

• Koyote

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like it's too much for a simple piston replacement. Yes, you definitely need a new piston, and yes, it is due to the age of the pen... but I wouldn't replace the whole thing... try to get someone else to replace the piston for you. In terms of a job, it's very easy as long as you have the tools and have access to a new piston.

That said, I'm not sure that you'll find that sort of help in India, and shipping the pen to Europe and back, plus the work is likely to come to more or less the same price range.

Just drop a line to Max of maxpens, who is my "go to" person for non-official Montblanc maintenance and see if he can help you.

A complete Montblanc Sevice centre overhaul costs about $90.00 in Canada.

It sounds like those guys are aiming for a considerable mark-up --- and they are being impolite, too.

A good Montblanc Boutique treats customers like royalty.

Edited by meiers

If it's a 1980's 146, won't the internal piston be virtually the same as the current version anyway? It will be plastic not cork although the threads might be plastic too.

For me personally I would much rather have the latest piston with brass threads.

I thought the idea was to usually keep the older feeds and nibs and there's no reason why you can't do that.

I would send it to Montblanc as their service is a fixed price for replacement of all internal parts. You can specify that you wish to keep the feed if that's important to you

If it's a 1980's 146, won't the internal piston be virtually the same as the current version anyway?

Not necessarily; during this era there are pens where the 'lip' of the piston is not at the very end of the clear plastic plunger, and the barrel was made to accommodate this. I have a pen with this type of barrel, that I fitted a replacement piston into without realising, and consequently have a pen with a very much smaller ink capacity because the piston doesn't travel all the way down the barrel before stopping.

I think the OP has two options:

1. Sending into MB at which point they will replace all the parts they consider to be service parts; piston, barrel, piston knob, feed, section sleeve and feeder case. So the end result will be a 'nib with a new body'. I'm guessing that the high expense is for shipping to Germany and back, where insurance possibly costs more than from the US or Europe.

2. Sending to a 'vintage' pen repairer who will keep all the original features, but as MB parts aren't available they may use parts from donor pens which will be second-hand. I wouldn't be able to make a judgement about whether this is a cheaper method than MB - depending on the repairer, you may end up paying more.

If the pen is of sentimental value, I personally would go the second route.

If you just want a pen that works, use route 1.

If you want a 'vintage' pen that works, I would still go route 1, and then sell it as newly-serviced and use the money to buy an older pen.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Where was the pen leaking from? have you already sent the pen to MB?

Actually thats a good question. i have not been able to pin point it but it has normally leaked when i have capped it and put it in my pocket and when i open to write it there is ink on the rims.

I had taken the pen to MB Taj showroom and they said that would need to replace the internal parts.

The pen is leaking from the forepart right? not from the knob end?

then it is either a crack in the section or just a case feeder that needs to be resealed.

Have you given the pen to MB or have you brought it back?

Actually they have quoted less, your final repair bill through MB India (their agents Entrack actually)for a full overhaul will be to the tune of 12-14K. They charged me 3k just for a case feeder and 4500/- for a new 149 snowcap.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

yes it must be leaking from the forepart. I could not make out a crack but it could be minute.

Though the MB guy said that all the parts would need to be replaced. I got it back. Am still considering whether its worth getting it repaired. and thank you Hari for the heads up that it may cost more.

The pen was back in my hand within 2 min from the time i gave it for checking. though the person who looked at my pen did come out and speak to me he had to prod the sales guy to check up an dlet me know what it would cost.

I am telling you i have never been so distastisfied with the level of customer service. I am actually put off by the way i was treated.

yes it must be leaking from the forepart. I could not make out a crack but it could be minute.

Though the MB guy said that all the parts would need to be replaced. I got it back. Am still considering whether its worth getting it repaired. and thank you Hari for the heads up that it may cost more.

The pen was back in my hand within 2 min from the time i gave it for checking. though the person who looked at my pen did come out and speak to me he had to prod the sales guy to check up an dlet me know what it would cost.

I am telling you i have never been so distastisfied with the level of customer service. I am actually put off by the way i was treated.

Since you are in Mumbai, I volunteer to have a look at your pen, if it is a matter of a simple reseal, I can do that for you. PM me.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hi All,

I have a 1980's MB 146. It has a 14K gold nib (single tone). It has started leaking. I took it to the MB showroom where they are having a service week. They told me that i would have to replace all the internal parts as the pen was so old that it had got spoilt and they dont have the old parts. I explained that the point of it would be lost if all the internal mechanics were replaced with new ones. They counter sold saying that it would be like having a new pen ... in an old body :o

They said the only way they could do it is by replacing all the parts. they said it would cost Rs.8000/- approx USD 150/-.

I dont see the point in doing this.

Further the quality of customer service was poor to say the least. I always avoid going to them because are only interested in selling and not servicing the pens they have sold which is sad.

Your thoughts are welcome

Regards

Shan

If you are not willing to spend the money to repair the pen, I will happily take it off your hands. I will even pay the shipping cost and throw in an extra $25 for your trouble.