Writing Slope Dilema

my63

You may remember some time ago I acquired this large writing slope whose brass had been removed and replaced by turquoise and gold paint.

11889173483_026359acb6_o.jpg

IMG_6202 by my0771, on Flickr

Well it has been sitting on my desk while I was unwell and busy with other things I was having a good day today the sun was shinning so after cutting the grass and doing a little clearing up I sat at the garden table and started scraping the paint off many hours later as the sun was retiring for the day I gave up.

14128412510_2b03c26feb_o.jpg

IMG_7545 by my0771, on Flickr

There is still some gold on the front to remove.

There is more to follow on this project including one of its secrets.

Thanks

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my63

• Shangas

• fuchsiaprincess

• esterbex

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Michael,

It looks better already. Glad you're feeling up to it again!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

This is one of my grail writing slopes I have been looking for one for some time, I was over the moon to finally get one at such a reasonable price.

I did not look very closely at first because I knew I was not in a position to do anything with it.

I did know it was an early slope but it did not appear to have a secret compartment there was a gap under the pen and inkwell holders which is normal in later boxes.

14311744271_f1d8206f14_z.jpgIMG_7551 by my0771, on Flickr

This picture shows what I had missed

The left corner

14335277823_e1b57476b1_z.jpgIMG_7553 by my0771, on Flickr

And the right corner

14317088794_d5f42970c1_z.jpgIMG_7552 by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see there is more wood showing on the right than the left, I was pretty sure there was a door there and all I needed to do was to find the key.

All of the boxes I own that have secret compartments have for want of a better word a button to push to open the door however there is always something to push it with usually a brass pin that holds the paper drawer in place, this box does not have a drawer.

14335280463_c8281c3dd0_z.jpgIMG_7556 by my0771, on Flickr

So I began lifting things slopes I have seen in the past it is the dividers that are the key so I started at the loose end and presto as I lifted the divider the door opened

14291941836_386fe875bd_z.jpgIMG_7559 by my0771, on Flickr

14128570727_6066f7b3d6_z.jpgIMG_7560 by my0771, on Flickr

The next step in the restoration was to remove the damaged velvet from the writing surfaces

14335288603_1cb63160af_z.jpgIMG_7561 by my0771, on Flickr

At some point in its life two small brass tubes with hand cut threads have been inserted into the writing surfaces to act as an opening device with a small ivory pin (well it looks like ivory) I will need to decide to keep that or return to the ribbons of the original

Thanks

Michael

So, do I understand correctly: are there three secret drawers? Hidden away by that panel that seems to fit around their knobs? Ingenious!

So, do I understand correctly: are there three secret drawers? Hidden away by that panel that seems to fit around their knobs? Ingenious!

Yep that just about sums it up I have added the picture of the open drawers below

14317819271_a48572f4a1_z.jpgIMG_7572 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks

Michael

Neat. Enjoy every second of it. Once you start using it, be sure to tuck something away in those drawers for others to find...

• 4 weeks later...

these are so gorgeous!! the restoration just blows me away! I have an old one, it was given to me in childhood as a "jewelry box" but the wood dividers were not attatched. For years I didnt even know what it really was but funnily enough kept letters in it cause it was the perfect size. I would love to get it restored, all it needs is to have the dividers glued in but the tricky part is it has no key for the lock :/

these are so gorgeous!! the restoration just blows me away! I have an old one, it was given to me in childhood as a "jewelry box" but the wood dividers were not attatched. For years I didnt even know what it really was but funnily enough kept letters in it cause it was the perfect size. I would love to get it restored, all it needs is to have the dividers glued in but the tricky part is it has no key for the lock :/

I would love to see pictures of your writing slope By dividers do you mean the writing surfaces or the dividers at the front where the ink wells are.

The keys are quite simple to cut if you can find the right blank or a key that can be cut down I bought 50 keys from a market stall that I cut down to fit most boxes.

If I can help you to refit your dividers please let me know.

Michael

Your talents far exceed mine Michael! but here goes.. I think the top is a decal or such, it doesnt seem to be inlaid work but Ive never done woodworking. One of the dividers is glued in (crookedly) but I dont know what glue was used. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i4MaBKi1wmA/U64Q8EEtsnI/AAAAAAAAA68/Gl0f6q3bFr0/s1600/4qsnpv_th.jpg http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nswfgU3FuTc/U64RBFymtBI/AAAAAAAAA7M/XLE4DEYUGBk/s1600/2d0eute_th.jpg http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MxXsu4YvKJM/U64Q-uCclNI/AAAAAAAAA7E/2ThOxqyUClM/s1600/2w5t8on_th.jpg I have never seen any others, either advertised or in real life here in the Midwest. My aunt was an antique collector for many years (died 20 years ago at the age of 84) and she had never seen one before nor found any info on what it was, and figured it was just a box that had broken compartments and I could have it for jewellry, and as a kid i thought it was the coolest thing ever cuz it just looked old. I've had it 25 years in this condition but no idea where to even start

I can see now those pieces inside are the dividers inside the pen tray area. The wood that is upright looks to be too thick it should be very thin about 1/16 of an inch. I get replacement wood from a model shop it can be cut with a sharp pair of scissors. There should be grooves in the front and sides for it to slot into.

This picture shows the grooves in one of my slopes

7563573414_31e12b66ca_z.jpg

IMG_1538 by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see they do not always go right to the bottom

9838827803_aaf2d260e5_z.jpg

IMG_4927 by my0771, on Flickr

If you look on the inside edge there is an extra piece of wood this is what the writing surface sits on.

I hope that helps if you have any questions please ask.

Michael

there is writing on one of the dividers, the large one with a handle "In a land of fear and discord John William's love...." Im unable to decipher the rest cuz it's been rubbed out but there is more to it so just love that bit. The little pieces are the same thickness as the big one. I can only see one mark where wood might have been attatched, on the left side of my pic there's a scuff in that corner. Without the wood that is glued on, the panel on top would flop down, but the space it creates is still too wide for the handle piece. So Im not sure where any of it goes but it is glued to the bottom half of the box

If you look at the second picture I posted there is a long centre compartment this is where pens would be kept sometimes they have a lid that is what you have the lid.

Someone has replaced the insides with heavier wood.

If it has been glued in with modern glue it will be very difficult to remove.

It might be possible to put another thin piece inside that thicker piece to allow you to fit inkwell slots and a pen tray.

I hope that makes sense.

Your Armoire looks fantastic btw

Michael

Edited by my63

Thank you for all your help Micheal! Given it's sentimental value and my inexperience with woodworking Im scared to ruin it trying. The glue is 25 years old, my dad put it in, does that count as a modern glue? What do you reccomend to keep t from cracking? The top is starting to 'wrinkle' and I'd like to halt that. Thank you for the compliment on the Armoire, I just finished a little Secretary to match it ;)

From what I can see I cannot tell if it is a paint finish or some sort of transfer.

It may well be the wood drying out underneath the top finish that is causing the cracking.

If you want my advice as it is a family piece I would suggest that you contact an expert local to you I would hate to give you information that would spoil such an heirloom.

Michael

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-h8uSasDBG-0/U7B0nExX27I/AAAAAAAAA94/cXxpymBMqxM/s1600/0627141258.jpg I hope this is a better pic, my fon isnt the best. Im guessing it's a decal or decoupage because there is a crackle finish on it and nowhere else, and where the crack is, it is beige like there's paper underneath. I do appreciate all your advice you've given, thanks so much!

• 3 months later...

It is some time since I did any work on a writing slope although I have a number waiting for restoration.

A friend asked me to obtain a writing slope for her and carry out some minor modifications such as making trays for the inside of the drawer.

Having learned from other projects rather than two trays I am making four, this means trays can be removed without pulling the drawer all of the way out.

14954550713_2718b2dac7_z.jpgIMG_8825 by my0771, on Flickr

15551010976_8eb176a873_z.jpgIMG_8826 by my0771, on Flickr

I have started in the same way I do for all of my boxes four pieces of wood mitred at each end I then placed them end to end and fixed them together using masking tape.

We now have one long piece glue is applied to each joint and finally the whole thing is folded up and the final joint is taped in place.

The next stage is to make a slot in the bottom of each frame to take the base but that is for another day

Today I have cut and shaped the bases they are currently clamped in the frames I have started making the inserts for the trays.

A piece of card which I marked for each frame before I glued the bottom pieces in place,

I also cut 9 pieces of dowel to size and glued them to the base card

15396992079_7c2219a199_z.jpgIMG_8846_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Once fixed in place I did a trial fit into one of the trays

15397498638_47987eb09e_z.jpgIMG_8848_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The next step is to ..............................

Thanks for looking

Michael

The first two trays are complete two more to do

15400856250_757e138163_z.jpgIMG_8852_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I did have a small issue with one of the trays warping once the clamps were removed I have had this problem before and the best solution is to make up a solution of water and pva glue clamp the tray to a surface that it will not stick to, then paint the inside of the tray with the pva solution and leave for 24 hours,

Once all four are complete I will darken the oak a little so it does not look as new then I will add the inserts

Thanks for looking

Michael