You've Got Your First Found In The Wild Parker 51 In Your Hand, Now What?

OcalaFlGuy

This is my 1st "51" and thanks for the information I've found thus far. Without the thorough cleaning you've recommended I had already gone the impatient route by just flushing the pen numerous times (successfully I thought) but will now proceed with a more thorough cleanse. I'm new so I'm not sure if this is the correct location for this post, please forgive me if not and direct me for future inquiries. I'm hoping to learn the correct name and possible date for this found 'in the wild' pen. Can I ask for your assistance in identifying this my virgin find. On the cap it is signed Parker Made in USA but no other dots, letters or information, on the barrel is Parker "51" along with fill instructions to press firmly 4 times and to Use Parker ink (no specifications re: ink type) and The Parker Pen Co. Made in USA The total length is 140 mm and the clip is 40mm from jewel point to arrow point. Thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to now adding a new dimension to my addictive collecting. Highpockets2papa from NC

post-124043-0-83599900-1437460768_thumb.jpg

post-124043-0-99839700-1437460778_thumb.jpg

post-124043-0-42825300-1437460788_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• mitto

• Komitadjie

• inkstainedruth

Hi, highpockets2papa. That is a Parker 51 Flighter (in all steel body) . Congratulations on your new find and welcome to FPN.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an old Hero pen. Like about 45 years old. It has been used and abused and left lying about for decades god knows how, either full or empty and then filled up and used again and so on. Works perfectly still, I fill it up and it writes as it should. What do you think that says about its quality compared with something that needs six pages of forum literature to recommission?

Yeah, gem or not, the problem with "real pen lovers" is they might not see reality because of their passion hence I am happy to not have anyone agree. Same with classic cars. People bag Toyotas and comment watery-eyed about all sorts of supercars so fragile and finicky they dent and their engines explode if you look at them the wrong way. Personally I like my things to not forget what they are. That's their first job. They have to work, not get by on their looks or other unquantifiable subjective qualities.

Hello,

Since you see "the reality" (unlike the "real pen lovers"), and you are happy with your used and abused "hero" which out performs the P51s, I wonder why you go through "six pages of forum literature" and buy more P51s of "unquantifiable subjective qualities"?

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello,

Since you see "the reality" (unlike the "real pen lovers"), and you are happy with your used and abused "hero" which out performs the P51s, I wonder why you go through "six pages of forum literature" and buy more P51s of "unquantifiable subjective qualities"?

+1

Khan M. Ilyas

• 3 weeks later...

There are some pens that are more than just a pen. The Parker 51 is one such and so is the Esterbrook. The 51 is an experience, or it has been for me. I bought a new pen and pencil set in 1970 and then I came upon second hand ones for sale and started accumulating. Some of them came in pieces, and I had to put them back together, which was a harrowing experience at the time. Later I wasn't satisfied with the color choices and found custom parts to change the hood and barrel colors. Then I found some custom caps. So, beyond buying and using your first 51 there is a lot you can do with the pens to enrich the experience and make it so much more than getting a pen like a Pilot Prera or a Montblanc 149, for example.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Only last night I bought a lot of 4 earo 51s as part pens and I am sure I would be able to either complete some of my pens needing parts or upgrade some with gold caps/gold clips on lsutraloy caps. The part pens all have gold caps.

It causes me happiness and gives me great joy to bring an ailing 51 back to sound health.

I wouldn't accept 50 Hero's for just one 51, though.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• 1 year later...

I don't own a 51, but perhaps one day. Thanks for this post and advice, facts and opinions.

You have to...

Pancho

You have to...

Perhaps he has one until now. Or may be he has an entire collection of 51s. The post you quoated is from July, 2012.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

(Edit: Wow ! ! ! ! I missed the date of the original post I just responded to . . . . My post is most likely a moot issue. How does one delete a posting?)

Edited by FPFan

Fair winds and following seas.

• 3 weeks later...

I just gave it a soak and tested it out.

Then I filled the form and shipped it to Mr. Fudge.

Exciting...

Now's the hardest part.

The wait.

I just sent a new person to search for this thread, who found an Aero (I think at an estate sale) for $4 US....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a box full of 51 parts for $38 and using these assembled/completed five full pens and one half in the sense that it doesn't have the nib. And still threre are spare hoods, collectors and connectors. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 months later...

Are there some alternatives to ammonia to use if you don't have any laying around and aren't feeling like buying a whole jug to clean one pen?

A few drops of liquid dish washer mixed with lukewarm water. Not hot water.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Are there some alternatives to ammonia to use if you don't have any laying around and aren't feeling like buying a whole jug to clean one pen?

You only have one pen? :lticaptd:

Sorry, you're new here.... You haven't apparently gotten the memo that we are all shameless enablers here....

Clear ammonia is also good for washing glass window panes, if you don't have any other pens. And if you change inks at all you are going to want to flush out your pen between colors. There was a thread several years ago where someone decided to make the "perfect" blue-black ink, and mixed Noodler's Black with Noodler's Baystate Blue, and put the mix in a pen before letting the combination sit to watch for bad interactions.

I saw the photos -- they weren't pretty.... And that was a deliberate mix on the other person's part

It may take you a couple of years to go through a jug of ammonia (because you're making up a 1:9 ratio of ammonia to distilled water. But eventually, (especially if you continue to hang out on FPN :rolleyes:) you'll likely end up with some more pens and maybe a whole lot of ink samples in your attempt to find the "perfect" -- for you, anyway -- ink for color and/or behavior in your pen.

Oh and you'll want to get plain white vinegar (used in the same ratio with distilled water as the ammonia solution) in case you start using iron gall inks, or other inks with a low pH....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 months later...

Joining this forum has made me want to buy sooooo many pens!!!!! So I just bought my first Parker 51 pen, paid $20 for it with the intention of attempting to restore it. So I was he the ink out several times and let it dry. Filled it up with Mont Blanc The Beatles Psychedelic Purple since that"s what I had o hand and gave it a try. I find it works very well. Here is a writing example. I don"t know the nib size but likely a fine or even extra fine. I don"t know the age of the pen, maybe someone can help. It says made in canada on the cap but the body inside says made in the use. There are no other numbers or letters. I am including some pics.

I would like to know what I should do with this pen. It looks really nice, just a few superficial scratches, fills well and write well also. Should I just clean it or should I attempt to restore it?

post-140881-0-79109900-1516752648.jpg

post-140881-0-92522100-1516752718.jpg

post-140881-0-08466200-1516752746.jpg

post-140881-0-60284300-1516752764.jpg

post-140881-0-65722300-1516752782.jpg

Edited by DanD

It's really nice.

If it can hold a decent amount of ink, you can get away with waiting for a few years to get it restored.

• 2 weeks later...

...snip...

I would like to know what I should do with this pen. It looks really nice, just a few superficial scratches, fills well and write well also. Should I just clean it or should I attempt to restore it?

Use it.

Over the years the scratches and imperfections will be forgotten - or, if you find that you can't live with them, then start your restoration But, you'll probably have a bunch of 51's by then.

They are total workhorse pens and were built to be used - so that's what I'd do, personally.

I've had a few, over the years. Only got the one, at the moment. It's an old burgundy, a bit knocked about - but it's still used daily and it never lets me down.

Enjoy.