Modern Montegrappa Regular Edition Pens

jar

Thanks ParkerBeta for posting, I had exactly the same question. Thanks Jar for explaining.

I have attached a couple of pictures of my recently acquired Espressione.

From what I have read in this post, this is the older Espressione model. Since it has the heart shaped breather hole it has the gold nib?

So is this 18K or 14K?

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/Robert_P/3168.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/Robert_P/3187.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/Robert_P/3192.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/Robert_P/3174.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• collectingfool

• ArchiMark

• Plesso

Thanks ParkerBeta for posting, I had exactly the same question. Thanks Jar for explaining.

I have attached a couple of pictures of my recently acquired Espressione.

From what I have read in this post, this is the older Espressione model. Since it has the heart shaped breather hole it has the gold nib?

So is this 18K or 14K?

It is 18K.

My Website

• 1 month later...

Quick question please....

Is the 1930 Extra the only Monte that uses the really big nib or are there other models that use it too?

Thanks!

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Quick question please....

Is the 1930 Extra the only Monte that uses the really big nib or are there other models that use it too?

Thanks!

TTBOMK only the Extra and Extra 1930 use that nib.

My Website

TTBOMK only the Extra and Extra 1930 use that nib.

Interesting.....thanks!

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• 2 months later...

I'm curious about this 90ies Montegrappa pen. I just purchased it and the seller got it from an Italian ex pen-shop worker. He suggests it might be a promotional or Italian market only pen. It doesn't carry any Montegrappa brand-name on it's silver cylindrical body or on the nib: only "925 *1055 VI". It is a very small pen, capped 125mm and barrel 97mm, C/C.

Anyone encountered this pen before?

Thanks!

fpn_1410188075__img_0607.jpg

fpn_1410188127__img_0611.jpg

Well the guild marks are definitely Montegrappa but it is not one I have seen before. They did make pens though for several jewelers and stationery stores.

My Website

Well the guild marks are definitely Montegrappa but it is not one I have seen before. They did make pens though for several jewelers and stationery stores.

Are guild marks exclusive to producers? In other words, could another pen brand have made this pen?

Are guild marks exclusive to producers? In other words, could another pen brand have made this pen?

No. 1055VI was registered to the earlier Aquila ownership company only. No other company used that designation.

My Website

No. 1055VI was registered to the earlier Aquila ownership company only. No other company used that designation.

Thx Jar, selling it on eBay. It is a very good writer but too small for my hands.

• 8 months later...

Montegrappa is one of, if not the, oldest fountain pen makers in Italy, founded in 1912. In this, its Centenary year, I thought it might be worthwhile exploring some of their more recent Regular Edition as opposed to Special or Limited Edition fountain pens, those made during the last 20-25 years. There is a lot of information available on the older editions, for example the comprehensive two volume "The History of the Italian Fountain Pen" by Letizia Jacopini but far less on those pens that followed.Let's begin during the very late 80s and early 90s and then wander forward.As we explore I must point out that while I have tried to confirm most of the data with the good folk at Montegrappa, any errors or omissions are solely my own. Specifically I must thank Adriano Pirone at Montegrappa who has responded to far more questions than anyone should have to endure.Some background.Until 2000 Montegrappa was owned and run by the Aquila family. In 2000 the Richemont Group (owners of Montblanc, Cartier, Dunhill and a host of other high end brands) bought Montegrappa and in 2005 ownership returned to the Aquila family.The Sterling parts on a Montegrappa pen will carry a Makers Mark stamp as well as Hallmarks.1055 VI would signify the older Aquila owned company.1140 MI those products made during the Richemont phase.Pens made during the current Aquila owned company will carry a 2670 VI stamp.The initials show the location of the Guild making the Sterling Silver parts of the pens, VI for Vicenza and MI for a Milan Guild.There are many of the Regular Edition Montegrappa period pens from this period of which I do not yet have an example and hopefully other members here will be able to fill in the missing gaps.Here's a list of the pens that I hope to cover and the order in which they were released:

• 400 Series
  • Reminiscence
  • 300 Series
  • Symphony
  • Harmony
  • Elegance
  • Classica Celluloid
  • Extra
  • Micra
  • Privilege
  • Classica resin
  • Miya
  • Extra 1930
  • Espressione
  • Privilege deco
  • Emblema
  • Espressione Duetto
Since there is a continuity between many of the lines I will try to group them in families by their common elements; for example the 400 series and 300 series pens are very similar, slim cylindrical flat ended pens while the Symphony and Harmony are both large faceted bodied pens differing in colors and body material.The Families:
  • Slim Cylindrical
  • Thick Cylindrical
  • Silver Threaded End Body
  • Silver Resin End Body
  • Faceted Non-Silver Body
  • Rounded Smooth Non-Silver Body

I have just managed to buy the Montegrappa 1055 V1 on eBay I'm looking forward to receiving it, I will post a photo when I get it. Regards Allan

• 8 months later...

well, I like the that it comes with a gold nib and I found a new one at a blowout price.. so

hopefully it will be an awesome and not too thin a pen...

thanks for all your work too...

well, I like the that it comes with a gold nib and I found a new one at a blowout price.. so

hopefully it will be an awesome and not too thin a pen...

thanks for all your work too...

I have a Piccolo & it is NOT the "thin" part that bothers me BUT the "SHORT" part. It is 4 1/2 inches long compared to a Kaweco Sport @ 4 inches. I bought it because @ under a $100 dollars; I considered it a fair price for a "pocket pen." Mine is a Broad nib & beautiful in finish BUT it is "not an average sized pen." I have other Montegrappas that are full sized & because I liked them I was happy to add this one. But it would be unfair to consider it as an "example" of the brand when it is such a small pen in size. Posting is quite easy but is necessary for my use.

• 1 year later...

Thanks to Jar I have been enticed to acquire a wide range of different pens ranging from Urushi pens and St Dupont to my most recent Montegrappa haul. Many thanks to his detailed and beautifully researched posts, along with the personal recommendations and support he has given to me.

The intro over, I thought I would resurrect this old thread with some standard edition Montegrappas which I have added to my collection. Many of these pens come in full sets with RB, BP or MP, so I'll post an image of the whole lot.

Oddly the 2 Miyas are both supposed to be the same colour, but it could be the age of the celluloid or the different rods which result in one being a richer blue, and the other having a more steely blue/grey colour.

fpn_1501735791__20170803_113613_-_copy.j

fpn_1501735814__20170803_113925_-_copy.j

• 1 month later...

Very nice bunch aggoo, congrats!

BTW, does anyone know where does the Elmo series fit?

I believe it to be a regular edition as well, but as such and being more cigar shaped it pretty much stand out from the other collections.

Current modern daily users: Montegrappa Miya, Omas AM87, S.T.Dupont D-Line, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Modello 60.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

Very nice bunch aggoo, congrats!

BTW, does anyone know where does the Elmo series fit?

I believe it to be a regular edition as well, but as such and being more cigar shaped it pretty much stand out from the other collections.

Thanks for your kind comment

The Elmo was launched in the late 90s. I actually have 2 sets the same and one is marked 1998 and the other 1999.

It was a throwback to the early 1930s models I suppose, although it looks more 50s to my eyes.

I suspect it was launched as a cheaper offering to the regular line up as it's not done in celluloid, but variegated resins instead. 3 colours were available - this mustardy brown color, a red and a blue. The same resin were used in the Harmony line (ballpoint in my picture above), which is a cheaper version of the Symphony.

The Elmo is very lightweight, but still maintain the hallmarks of Montegrappa pens of the period, with sterling silver trim (very minimal) and an 18K gold nib (small like the Micra).

I think you will find that Montegrappa were doing a lot of special editions and introducing a lot of lines during these late 90s years. Many of the limited editions are marked 1998 or similar years. I wonder if this strategy was to boost its value and financial figures in the lead up to the Richemont sale in 2000.