Modern Montegrappa Regular Edition Pens

jar

Nice. Can you post the measurements for the pen with body diameter, capped, posted and unposted lengths, weight, section width?

Pen measurements are:

Length capped: 140mm

Length uncapped: 125mm

Pen posts very high and becomes top heavy when posting, wouldn't recommend posting, but if you do, length posted is 175mm

Body diameter approximately 12mm, section width approx 10mm

Weight of pen + cap 39gr, weight of pen excluding cap 19gr

www.fontoplumo.nl

info@fontoplumo.nl

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• collectingfool

• ArchiMark

• Plesso

Hoping you guys can help answer a question for me. I'm not a Montegrappa collector, more Mont Blanc and Cartier but I recently picked up three Italian pens mint in box never used from a friend that inherited them. Among them is what I am sure is a Montegrappa Eleganza. As I was looking it up I noticed the Eleganza apparently came in a wood box. Mine came in a green box that looks like the one for the Privilege. Like I said, I'm pretty sure mine is an Eleganza as it has the dark green resin. The box matches it too. So, any guesses what I have?

http://www.collectingfool.com/pens/montegrappa-box.jpg

Hoping you guys can help answer a question for me. I'm not a Montegrappa collector, more Mont Blanc and Cartier but I recently picked up three Italian pens mint in box never used from a friend that inherited them. Among them is what I am sure is a Montegrappa Eleganza. As I was looking it up I noticed the Eleganza apparently came in a wood box. Mine came in a green box that looks like the one for the Privilege. Like I said, I'm pretty sure mine is an Eleganza as it has the dark green resin. The box matches it too. So, any guesses what I have?

http://www.collectingfool.com/pens/montegrappa-box.jpg

It's an Eleganza as you thought. The box is also a later one but a correct Montegrappa box.

My Website

Thank you. The pen was still in it's plastic when i got it so I couldn't believe someone swapped boxes. I appreciate the confirmation.

I've read that pens and boxes are often shipped separately to retailers, and retailer often display the pens and store the boxes somewhere out of the way. Thus it's likely the retailer probably put the pen in a box that was newer than the pen, but current at the time the pen was sold. Possibly because the original box had been lost or damaged, but most likely whoever packed the pen simply didn't know it orginally came with a different box.

Edited by raging.dragon

Interesting, I hadn't considered that. Would be nice to have the original or intended box to go with this pen. I suppose the odds are slim to none that I'd find one i could trade for.

Interesting, I hadn't considered that. Would be nice to have the original or intended box to go with this pen. I suppose the odds are slim to none that I'd find one i could trade for.

What is the guild code stamped on the pen? It is likely *1055VI or *1140MI.

My Website

Yes, it is 1055VI. Didn't even see it until I searched for it after reading your message.

Okay. Well that is from the pre-Richemont Aquila ownership phase and the box you have was first introduced during the Montblanc ownership era so a likely mismatch. There was a green clamshell box used during the earlier period as well and I have found Eleganzas in that box. See the box on this page.

That said, I have a small Eleganza that came in the same type box you have but in a smaller size.

http://www.fototime.com/0B9649ED102DE23/medium800.jpg

My Website

OK, so it looks like an ELEGANZA in a PRIVILEGE box. I didn't buy it for resale. Actually I bought all three pens because I liked this one so much I figured I should just do the package deal. That being said, I'd still like to know if this mismatch of box and pen affects the value or if it would be improper to disclose if I do ever decide to sell it. I'm pretty sure that when the pen was bought new, this is how it came.

BTW, the other two pens I picked up as part of the lot were a Visconti Titanic Edition and an Aurora Ipsilon De Lux all Mint in Box.

It may have some value issues with some folk and it should be disclosed. Personally I'd probably reduce the value by $50-75.00 with the wrong box.

My Website

Thank you for the info. As I said I really like it and wasn't planning on selling but it is good to keep in mind just in case. I know it's a long shot that I'll be able to get the right box for it so I'll put a note in the box to remind me if or when the time ever comes to sell. The other two pens though, those may go sooner rather than later.

Thanks again!

Ruben

OK, so it looks like an ELEGANZA in a PRIVILEGE box. I didn't buy it for resale. Actually I bought all three pens because I liked this one so much I figured I should just do the package deal. That being said, I'd still like to know if this mismatch of box and pen affects the value or if it would be improper to disclose if I do ever decide to sell it. I'm pretty sure that when the pen was bought new, this is how it came.

BTW, the other two pens I picked up as part of the lot were a Visconti Titanic Edition and an Aurora Ipsilon De Lux all Mint in Box.

Titanic is a very nice pen.

Seems you got a nice lot.

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, I received my Montegrappa Espressione in blue w/fine nib. Fantastic pen. Thank you for your posts, very informative on this interesting company.

Yesterday, I received my Montegrappa Espressione in blue w/fine nib. Fantastic pen. Thank you for your posts, very informative on this interesting company.

Nice. Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Is it the new Espressione?

My Website

• 1 month later...

Montegrappa Ducale

Available in 3 color combinations, black/palladium, black/rose gold and emperador brown/rose gold.

Steel nib, uses cartridge or converter for ink.

Pictured is teh Emperador brown version. Each pen is just a little different with the mix of brown, sprakling grey and black.

Great color and shine in the light. Nice size and weight.

fpn_1384327787__img_6228.jpg

fpn_1384327812__img_6230.jpg

That is a very nice pen. I haven't seen that before is it a current model?

That is a very nice pen. I haven't seen that before is it a current model?

Yes, the Ducale is one of the most recent models introduced.

My Website

• 2 weeks later...

All descriptions of the original Espressione (see jar's picture below -- I have the same model) say that the nib is 18kt, but I don't see "750" or "18kt" anywhere on my nib, nor on any photograph online of the nibs of the original Espressione. What gives? Do I need a loupe to see this information?

[...] The original Espressione [...]

http://www.fototime.com/ECB9B62F64709FE/medium800.jpg

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

All descriptions of the original Espressione (see jar's picture below -- I have the same model) say that the nib is 18kt, but I don't see "750" or "18kt" anywhere on my nib, nor on any photograph online of the nibs of the original Espressione. What gives? Do I need a loupe to see this information?

No you don't need a loupe to see it but you would have to pull the nib, something I would strongly discourage. The proof mark is usually imprinted below the nib width stamp and so is inside the section. Since the feed and nib are hand fitted I would suggest NOT pulling the nib just to see the stamping.

My Website

No you don't need a loupe to see it but you would have to pull the nib, something I would strongly discourage. The proof mark is usually imprinted below the nib width stamp and so is inside the section. Since the feed and nib are hand fitted I would suggest NOT pulling the nib just to see the stamping.

Interesting, informative and authoritative, as always! Thanks!!

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib