Modern Montegrappa Regular Edition Pens

jar

Knowing the nature of silver, do the sterling silver pens tend to darken over time and require polishing? I heard even vermeil pens will darken over time due to the sterling silver that is underneath the gold layer. Any thoughts on this? A lacquer pen does not need polishing, for example.

Edited by iveyman

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• collectingfool

• ArchiMark

• Plesso

Knowing the nature of silver, do the sterling silver pens tend to darken over time and require polishing? I heard even vermeil pens will darken over time due to the sterling silver that is underneath the gold layer. Any thoughts on this? A lacquer pen do not need polishing, for example.

That depends one whether or not they get used and how they are stored. Yes, silver can and does tarnish but the solution is either use it or when you want to use it give it a quick buff with a silver cloth. It's easy and low maintenance.

My Website

• 4 weeks later...

Knowing the nature of silver, do the sterling silver pens tend to darken over time and require polishing? I heard even vermeil pens will darken over time due to the sterling silver that is underneath the gold layer. Any thoughts on this? A lacquer pen do not need polishing, for example.

That depends one whether or not they get used and how they are stored. Yes, silver can and does tarnish but the solution is either use it or when you want to use it give it a quick buff with a silver cloth. It's easy and low maintenance.

I allow myself to answer in addition:

I just bought a Privilege Deco Large today NOS from the Richemont-Times in a Pen shop in our town (special sales on Montegrappa, it was a reflex... :thumbup: ), which just has veeery slight signs of a shadow on the surface. To be honest: in my opinion it even looks more.... how to say: vintage?

I love it! I even think about buying the small version, too... or the Espressione? Decisions, decisions...

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

• 7 months later...

As usual, I am months (almost a year) late catching up with this thread of JAR's magnificent history and review of Montegrappa's modern pens. The reason why I'm so late getting in is that I just acquired my first Montegrappa fp and, typically me, I pounced on it before researching the history and various models produced. I did this because I absolutely fell in love with the Montegrappa turquoise cellulose material trimmed with sterling silver that I saw on the Miya Argento model. Well, I didn't find a Miya that I could afford, but after diligent searching on Ebay, I found a used "1912 Classica" in the turquoise celluloid with sterling silver hardware. (I actually prefer mine to the Miya, because my Classica has the matching turquoise nib section rather than the sterling: gives the pen a more understated, chic appearance imho. Just for the record, I bought mine from Judperl on Ebay at the end of April (2013) for under $250 - a very fair price for the very good condition and wonderful 18K two tone "greek key" decorated nib marked M but more like my Watermans F(ine) nibs. I was cleaning up the sterling silver today with a jeweler's cloth when I looked on the (new, improved) FPN website and searched for "Montegrappa" and found JAR's wonderful, informative post. I hope someday that JAR will treat us neophytes to an overview of his complete collection, because in addition to his fine batch of S.T. Duponts, now I know he has Montegrappas, too! I will only add one thing to his post by way of information: my "Classica" from the early years of that model has a sterling ring one inch from the end of the barrel denoting the end cap. On Montegrappa's website down the left side menu you can click on their "Use & Maintenance" page and it will tell you how to fill their various pens. My "Classica" with an endcap screws off "anticlockwise" and reveals the end stalk of their piston filler assembly. Turning the stalk "anticlockwise" ejects the ink and turning it "clockwise" fills the reservoir inside the barrel with ink. Unfortunately, there is no way to ascertain the amount of ink in the reservoir, since you can't (at least I couldn't) unscrew the nib section from the barrel at that end. Thus, you're "flying blind" without knowing how much fuel (ink) is in your tank. Otherwise, it is a gorgeous pen in their turquoise celluloid and the detail on the hardware is first class. Oh, and most importantly, it writes like a dream with a near fine line to the nib marked medium. I am delighted with my Montegrappa and grateful to JAR for his exposition.

Did I miss the Montegrappa Heritage here. See pic

Nope. The Heritage is one of the strange, hard to place ones. It was the tail end of the round Reminiscence lines and issued like a couple other models as a limited edition. It was part of the transition that evolved minto the Cosmopolitan and other limited editions. I didn't cover them except in passing.

I am doing a revision of the overview that will be on one of my websites and I hope to cover some of those there.

My Website

Excellent coverage. I own a sterling 300/ 1055 VI series, sterling ballpoint. A favorite of mine.

Edited by Rafael Macia

"Beautiful is that which happens without interest"

Kant

I revised the review and put it in website format to make it easier to find stuff or just browse. For now you can find it here. I am still working on creating pdfs for the catalogs I have so nothing there yet.

This is very much still a work in progress and so if you find any errors or omissions be assured they are mine. Please let me know if you find one of my screw ups.

My Website

• 5 months later...

So, for anyone who's interested, there's a Montegrappa Serie 300 fountain pen on sale on Woot for $180.00. Not sure if this is NOS, back in production or what, but I couldn't help myself (even though I can't really afford it right now).

Woot is an online retail clearinghouse, and very reputable, so I'm not worried about the authenticity - I buy from Woot regularly, and the most I can complain about is that sometimes they don't publish a lot of product details, but I've never had a bad experience. On the contrary, sometimes when they're vague, the stuff is better than advertised. Typically, Woot sells discontinued, overstock, prior season, NOS or refurbished merchandise of well-known brands.

Anyway, they've got these pens, and a lot of ball points for the next 2 days or until gone here: http://accessories.woot.com/plus/montegrappa-pens

Edited by Plesso

The only thing I do not like with this pen, is how the section can not seem to keep itself screwed tightly. I find myself tightening it every once in a while. I have another pen with a long, metal section that does the same thing, so maybe the material itself is at fault. If you have suggestions to help keep it tight, let me know!

I have a few pens that do not like to stay screwed together either, and so long as the problem is not that cap unscrewing itself and coming off, I just fix the problem by using a little bit of teflon tape (for plumbing joints) whenever I put the pen together. You'll usually only need enough to cover the threads once - two wraps at most! - and should replace it anytime you unscrew the pen, but it works great for me. Obviously not practical for screw caps, but works great for pen sections.

So, for anyone who's interested, there's a Montegrappa Serie 300 fountain pen on sale on Woot for $180.00. Not sure if this is NOS, back in production or what, but I couldn't help myself (even though I can't really afford it right now).

Woot is an online retail clearinghouse, and very reputable, so I'm not worried about the authenticity - I buy from Woot regularly, and the most I can complain about is that sometimes they don't publish a lot of product details, but I've never had a bad experience. On the contrary, sometimes when they're vague, the stuff is better than advertised. Typically, Woot sells discontinued, overstock, prior season, NOS or refurbished merchandise of well-known brands.

Anyway, they've got these pens, and a lot of ball points for the next 2 days or until gone here: http://accessories.woot.com/plus/montegrappa-pens

A few things folk should know.

The 300 came with both the 18k gold nib and steel nibs. I have not yet found one that had the steel nib but they do not specify which is included in this deal so be aware. All of the Sterling silver models did come with the 18K nibs so that is what I expect. The "Personal size" are smaller and were designed to fit in day/date binders of the 70s. The Ball Points were Parker type refills. Not sure what refills were for Rollerballs but expect it was Parker. The pencils are 1.7 lead.

But that is one great deal.

Remember, the 300 series were about the same size as the Sheaffer Targa.

Edited by jar

My Website

• 2 weeks later...

A few things folk should know.

The 300 came with both the 18k gold nib and steel nibs. I have not yet found one that had the steel nib but they do not specify which is included in this deal so be aware. All of the Sterling silver models did come with the 18K nibs so that is what I expect. The "Personal size" are smaller and were designed to fit in day/date binders of the 70s. The Ball Points were Parker type refills. Not sure what refills were for Rollerballs but expect it was Parker. The pencils are 1.7 lead.

But that is one great deal.

Remember, the 300 series were about the same size as the Sheaffer Targa.

It showed up today, and oh, yeah, it's the real deal. The nib is stamped 750 so it does have the 18K nib and each of the pen sections is individually stamped 925 for the sterling. And wow, is it heavy! I'm so psyched, I can't wait to fill it up with ink and get to work. (bouncing around with glee) Woohoo!

It showed up today, and oh, yeah, it's the real deal. The nib is stamped 750 so it does have the 18K nib and each of the pen sections is individually stamped 925 for the sterling. And wow, is it heavy! I'm so psyched, I can't wait to fill it up with ink and get to work. (bouncing around with glee) Woohoo!

Fantastic. Is your also stamped *1055VI? Pictures please. Which body pattern is it?

Edited by jar

My Website

Fantastic. Is your also stamped *1055VI? Pictures please. Which body pattern is it?

Yes it is. I'll get some pics this weekend, but have to charge the camera battery and fuss around with the macro lenses to pick up the stamping on it. (sigh.) Not sure about the body pattern, but I think it 's 141mm long, best as I can measure. Also, it's a fine point nib.

Yes it is. I'll get some pics this weekend, but have to charge the camera battery and fuss around with the macro lenses to pick up the stamping on it. (sigh.) Not sure about the body pattern, but I think it 's 141mm long, best as I can measure. Also, it's a fine point nib.

Great. You can see examples of the lined pattern and the chevron pattern here.

My Website

Montegrappa Ducale

Available in 3 color combinations, black/palladium, black/rose gold and emperador brown/rose gold.

Steel nib, uses cartridge or converter for ink.

Pictured is teh Emperador brown version. Each pen is just a little different with the mix of brown, sprakling grey and black.

Great color and shine in the light. Nice size and weight.

fpn_1384327787__img_6228.jpg

fpn_1384327812__img_6230.jpg

www.fontoplumo.nl

info@fontoplumo.nl

Montegrappa Ducale

Available in 3 color combinations, black/palladium, black/rose gold and emperador brown/rose gold.

Steel nib, uses cartridge or converter for ink.

Pictured is teh Emperador brown version. Each pen is just a little different with the mix of brown, sprakling grey and black.

Great color and shine in the light. Nice size and weight.

fpn_1384327787__img_6228.jpg

fpn_1384327812__img_6230.jpg

Nice. Can you post the measurements for the pen with body diameter, capped, posted and unposted lengths, weight, section width?

My Website