Victorian Writing Slope - My Pride & Joy!

Marlow

Hi Ryan

Not at all presumptuous - if only I had taken pics of the job before sticking a piece of green baize / felt to the base! :embarrassed_smile: The wood on the base was bare and unpolished, un veneered hardwood and it seemed in keeping with the whole thing to apply the baize as I'd seen others with that treatment! :embarrassed_smile: :embarrassed_smile: I trust I have not 'damaged' the box in any way by doing this! I confess that at the time I was also thinking of protecting the surface of my desk from scratching each time I used the slope - which was daily for a long time and now every other day or so! :embarrassed_smile: I think it's also true to say that whilst the repair was 'a job well done', it was not micrometrically perfect and I was also happy to have any small imperfections hidden by the covering!! :embarrassed_smile:

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marlow

• Shangas

• pen2paper

• my63

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Marlow

I agree with others you box is a work of art.

To be honest I thought the estimate for keys was high until I looked into the manufacturer.

They are highly complex locks an engineering art form I have pasted the link below to the hygra page on Bramah locks

http://hygra.com/locks/Bramah/

The keys look quite complex items themselves you might get a discount if the box is to be featured on AR.

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just bumping this thread to confirm I am indeed still researching and pursuing the origins of the owners and makers of the slope! Other work (a four-letter word if ever I heard one!) had intervened in my life but I'm all better now and back on the trail of more important things - like genealogies and ambrotypist identification.

Thanks to Michael for the link to the Bramah lock page above - Bramah themselves do not have that much info on their own site! I dont think there's any question as to whether I'll have a key made - it's more a question of getting round to it!

Toodle-pip for now! Back soon with some interesting info I hope...

M :happyberet:

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Absolutely Beautiful! I have dreams of owning such a piece. :puddle:

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Hi Marlow

I agree with others you box is a work of art.

To be honest I thought the estimate for keys was high until I looked into the manufacturer.

They are highly complex locks an engineering art form I have pasted the link below to the hygra page on Bramah locks

http://hygra.com/locks/Bramah/

The keys look quite complex items themselves you might get a discount if the box is to be featured on AR.

Michael

What an incredible locking mechanism that link displays! I would think that lock alone adds significant value to this box. Thanks for the link

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Absolutely Beautiful! I have dreams of owning such a piece. :puddle:

Hi MKeith - lol - I havent had any dreams about the box yet - maybe because I already own it - although I have had many, many dreams about fountain pens and restoring and repairing fountain pens over the last few weeks! :lol:

Laura Ingalls Wilder

What an incredible locking mechanism that link displays! I would think that lock alone adds significant value to this box. Thanks for the link

As you say, the lock is quite a marvel of ingenious complexity! I am going to take advice from an antiques expert in a couple of months time and I am sure he/she will confirm that a pair of keys will make a big difference in value. There is also the upper panel of the writing surface that has a lock though I believe that to be of a standard design so shouldnt be too hard to get a standard key for it.

I can see that I am going to need to be a little more disciplined in how I allocate my time at the moment in order to ensure I progress the research regarding the slope and its contents whilst attending to my working responsibilities (I do commercial translations) as well as repairing and polishing for sale the 50 or so pens I've acquired recently as parts of lots that contained pens I actually want to keep!! I think this whole arena of fountain pens and related ephemera may just be the most satisfying non sport-related 'hobby' in which I've ever engaged!

:cloud9:

Laura Ingalls Wilder

• 9 months later...

Head's up: another gorgeous Bramah writing box on a certain auction site -- wood (pun) that I could afford it (can't).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-English-Coromandel-Lap-Desk-Writing-Slope-Wedgwood-Plaques-c-1860-/230962680250?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item35c672d1ba

Here's hoping that if someone here buys it, they photograph the secret compartments...

----

Oh, pens, all of you are my favorite! TWSBI, Jinhao, Montblanc, Waterman, Danish Penol De Luxe flexy pen, Cross, -- I can't choose between you! That would just be wrong.

---

This is an amazing find! I've seen another writing slope almost identical to this, except the lady knew what she had, was charging a fortune and nothing exciting hidden (needless to say, I am not a proud owner of it). I love a good mystery like this! Always so exciting. :thumbup:

After reading the story about the pics, I'm curious to know if you found out any more?

Signature left blank per new rules...

Wow!!! What a beautiful and SUPER-cool piece. And to find that 'time capsule' hidden away inside! You must have had so. much. fun. with this. Thank you for sharing.

best wishes,

eo

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

A treasure indeed and to have the treasures of history too incredible.

God is my Strength.

Brad http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

A treasure indeed and to have the treasures of history too incredible.

God is my Strength.

Brad http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Ok, well I couldn't afford the $4,000 writing slope I linked earlier, but I found a $60 buy-it-now writing slope that I slowly fell for all morning long, and i just pulled the trigger. Helps that I realized, after looking through the pictures, that there appears to be a Diamond Point BCHR pen included in the deal that I hope might be worth three times as much as the slope is by itself. The pen will probably need restoration, but still. I was sold when I read up on Diamond Points and realized they have a reputation for having good flexy nibs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160999013034

I figure I can repair the top of the writing slope surface, which is currently broken. Since there's probably not a lot of historical value to this slope, I'm probably not losing much if i do what I want to it (such as put a nice leather writing surface on it in place of the broken and crushed velvet that's there now).

----

Oh, pens, all of you are my favorite! TWSBI, Jinhao, Montblanc, Waterman, Danish Penol De Luxe flexy pen, Cross, -- I can't choose between you! That would just be wrong.

---

Update: The Antiques Roadshow has invited me to submit my contact details in case they might wish to feature the slope on an upcoming programme. This invitation came after their standard reply to my initial enquiry that simply said they 'cant do valuations by email'. They have looked at this thread and then invited me onto the 'list'. This is quite encouraging as they must have some pretty incredible items offered for inclusion! If this doesnt transpire I'll definitely take it to the september 6th appraisal day when they guarantee to have it seen by an expert.

:happyberet:

reviving this thread, to find out what you were able to learn about the box, on Appraisal Day..

Edited by pen2paper

Ok, well I couldn't afford the $4,000 writing slope I linked earlier, but I found a $60 buy-it-now writing slope that I slowly fell for all morning long, and i just pulled the trigger. Helps that I realized, after looking through the pictures, that there appears to be a Diamond Point BCHR pen included in the deal that I hope might be worth three times as much as the slope is by itself. The pen will probably need restoration, but still. I was sold when I read up on Diamond Points and realized they have a reputation for having good flexy nibs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=160999013034

I figure I can repair the top of the writing slope surface, which is currently broken. Since there's probably not a lot of historical value to this slope, I'm probably not losing much if i do what I want to it (such as put a nice leather writing surface on it in place of the broken and crushed velvet that's there now).

please do share when your slope arrives : )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160999013034

That is a fantastic slope you have bought I have restored a couple please share you progress with us

Michael

That is a fantastic slope you have bought I have restored a couple please share you progress with us

Michael

Will do, Michael! I can't wait to get it. I've already been googling videos about restoring writing slopes on youtube. Do you have any pointers for a novice?

----

---

Michael

Will do, Michael! I can't wait to get it. I've already been googling videos about restoring writing slopes on youtube. Do you have any pointers for a novice?

I still class myself as a novice to be honest I think the best thing to do is take your time and dont rush any decisions.

Try to understand what is origional and what has been added.

As a general rule Georgian boxes had velvet and Victorian had leather,

leather is more practical and easier to work with.

I am not so sure about the paper have a look here http://www.hygra.com/visualwrite.html

there is lots of information on boxes there.

Michael

Edited by my63