A call for dried blood mixes!

Patrick Hand

This is going to sound kinda gross..... I've been trying to make an ink mix that looks like dired blood..... so far... it's just not quite right..... but I'll keep working on it.... and post a recipie when I figure it out.......

Hey.... it might be usefull for Halloween.......... :D

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jptech

• stoof2010

• Patrick Hand

• Grwilliams86

This is going to sound kinda gross..... I've been trying to make an ink mix that looks like dired blood..... so far... it's just not quite right..... but I'll keep working on it.... and post a recipie when I figure it out.......

"Abigail Rose" or "Dead Roses"

Noodlers Fox Red and Bulletproof Black 10:1

I've named my Fox Red/Black combination 'Abigail Rose,' after my sister-in-law who fancies herself a Gothic poet. It is a very brooding, angstful color. I feel like I'm writing with bottled hate. Try it next time you correspond with your ex-wife/landlord/mother-in-law. I might also suggest the name 'Dead Roses' for those of you who haven't had the pleasure of meeting my sister-in-law.

Plus, like all good hatred, it's Eternal!

Cheers,

Will

Edited by Will Argyle

Please, Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue about "who killed who."

--Prince Herbert's Father, The Holy Grail, scene 17

• 4 months later...

I've been doing some mixing as I've not yet found that "perfect" ink.

1 part Noodler's Polar Blue with 1 part Noodler's Lexington Gray creates a very nice powdery, ethereal blue.

I've also mixed a good "dried blood" which contains some Noodler's Tienanmen Red, some Caran d'ache Grand Canyon brown and an accidental tiny bit of Noodler's Aircorps Blue-Black. I just kind of threw it all together so I have no idea what the proportions are, unfortunately.

I can scan pictures of the latter if anyone is interested.

Patrick Hand -

Are you still searching for a dried blood color ?

I always thought that was the same as maroon.

Mixing burgundy and black doesn't work ?...or burgundy, brown, and black ?

I think I'd like to use a bright Orange ink for Halloween.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

While I wasn't trying to get a "blood-red", just wanted something darker than Noodlers' Nikita, looks like I've stumbled upon a "Blood Red" color anyway.

Just messing around, I came across an unmeasured blend that even has "blood-like" qualities, right down to the way blood separates on tissue/paper towels.

Included are the proportions of each ink used, using an empty Standard ink cartridge as a reference.

Looking at an ink-drop of this blend on the paper towel, it looks just like dried blood to my eyes...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Nikita_plus_HoD_Blend.jpg

This wasn't what I had in mind to create at all, just worked out this way.

When I added more Hod the color turns more of a brown than a red/black, so I only added a few drops HoD for these results.

Doing a wash-test the 100% pure Nikita almost completely washed away with hot water alone, completely gone after using bleach.

Adding the HoD not only gave it a darker red color but also gives it some "bulletproof" qualities, in that the black will NOT wash out, not even with pure Clorox bleach...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Nikita_plus_HoD_Blend_Wash_.jpg

You can even see where the bleach washed out the Ivory coloring of the Premium 25% LaserJet cotton paper.

Even swabbing with Dawn dishwashing liquid removed some of the Ivory colorant from the paper but not the HoD.

There's a white line where the paper was bleached out but the HoD remained behind.

I wasn't sure I liked the color at first but it's beginning to grow on me and has some beautiful shading to it at well.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• 4 years later...

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/CAM00340-1.jpg

This is my find. More red/black.

It was 9 parts diamine poppy red and 2 parts noodlers black.

Can be adjusted to taste. Was thinking of trying fox red and bulletproof black next so its fully eternal.

-Stefan

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/SnailBadge.png

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/unnamed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Diamine oxblood!!

Just got.a bottle in today. When fully dried it looks just like dried blood. Doesnt hold up to water though.

-Stefan

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/SnailBadge.png

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/unnamed.jpg

• 2 months later...

Diamine Monaco Red is also pretty close to blood, if from a wet nib,

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."~James 1

Pelikan M200 B, Lamy Al-Star F (and Safari), Pilot 78G B, Reform 1745(x2), Sheaffer Viewpoint (x4), Hero 616, Hero 240, Hero 329/330