Diamine Peach Haze

DanielCoffey

INK : DIAMINE PEACH HAZE

PAPER : RHODIA #16 A5 white lined

PEN : Onoto Magna 261 Medium nib tweaked for wet flow by John Sorowka (Oxonian).

Scanner : IT8-calibrated Epson V600 flatbed

Colour Space : Adobe RGB

Matte : 50% grey and 100% white

Post-process : Unsharp Mask

CLEANING ADVISORY : Due to an unusual die in this ink I have added a Cleaning Advisory Note on this ink...

Diamine Peach Haze is a low saturated orange that dries with a slight pink tone. It does not shade strongly and the orange can be quite vibrant in natural daylight.

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewPeachHaze.jpg

Here is a close-up of the swab. As you can see, the saturation is fairly low...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewPeachHazeSwab.jpg

And a close-up of the shading. Shading with this ink is subdued even on smooth papers and not observed on copy paper. The colour goes down a bright orange but settles as it dries to reveal a slight pink tone...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewPeachHazeShade.jpg

Water-resistance is not something that this ink brings to the table. A splash of water and it is gone except for a few ghostly pink marks which are not really enough to reconstruct the writing...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewPeachHazeWater.jpg

DRYING TIMES : The writing tests above were done in a VERY wet medium nib that had just been cleaned. Drying times on Xerox 90gsm were in the order of 10s. Rhodia and G Lalo Vergé dried around 30s and Clairefontaine Triomphe took a good 45s.

SMEARING : None observed.

BLEEDTHROUGH : Some bleed through may be expected on copy papers with wet or fat nibs. I would not expect bleeding on dry or fine nibs or when the ink is used on a good quality paper. Given the wet nib I used above, I recorded the following... Xerox 90gsm had moderate bleed through and low feathering. Rhodia had no bleed through and no feathering. Clairefontaine Triomphe had no bleed through or feathering. G Lalo Vergé had no bleed through or feathering.

FLOW AND LUBRICATION : Flow for this ink seems to be moderate. I suspect even a dry fine nib will put down a fair line. Lubrication was excellent and meant that this ink gave a good writing experience with a nice tight line.

CLEANING : The ink did not stick to the insides of the converter but was not particularly easy to clean. A bulb syringe will be useful here. There was no staining observed.

CLEANING ADVISORY NOTE : This ink seems to have some sort of FLUORESCEIN type dye in it. When I emptied some of the remains in the converter into water there was a strong yellow-green dye effect in the bowl. It took a LOT of rinsing of the converter and section to get rid of all traces of this. I do not mean to say that the dye lingered stubbornly, just that it was very easy to see since it was so visible. Two trips through the ultrasonic bath and a soapy bulb flush between each were necessary to get rid of all traces. After a final rinse, it ran clear and there were no traces on the paper towel. I would advise a THOROUGH clean after using this ink because any remains in the pen will risk skewing the colour of the next ink you use.

Edited by DanielCoffey

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanielCoffey

• Ghost Plane

• shaylenwilliams

• The Good Captain

I'm excited to try this one, thanks for the review, as well as the note on cleaning! :thumbup:

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Not one of my colour favourites but noting your comments at the beginning, I'm glad I got the ultrasonic device, should I ever change my mind!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

This is by no means a difficult ink to clean out... just one which clearly shows you when you haven't been thorough enough.

Just got a bottle with the idea of using it in an O3B nib. Be curious to see how it goes. :hmm1:

I don't have Coral, no. My collection is currently the "20 new" Diamine inks and Registrar's.

Looking forward to seeing an O3B sample! Nice nib!

Actually have 2 O3Bs. The Pelikan is really blobby, but the MB 149 is to die for! Line variation all over the place and wondrous wet glide over the page. :cloud9:

I will have to try this colour as well, thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Daniel, do you have Diamine Coral? if so could we see a comparison of the two?

wondering if Coral might be the same ink, but without the fluorescent additive?

Ask, and ye shall receive:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/223241-swab-comparison-diamine-oranges/

My verdict is that they are distinct from each other, though they are closer to siblings than distant cousins.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Georges - if you want to try a sample before you buy a bottle, let me know via PM. It is quite a bright ink and you might want to see it out of your own pen before paying cash.

If you check my Ink Exchange post you can see if there are any other Diamines you want to try at the same time.

• 4 years later...

When I write with a really wet pen there seems to be this gold shimmer along the edges when I look closely--is that the fluorescent particles in it?

• 3 years later...

Hmmm.  I missed this thread in the past somehow.   But after copying and pasting the the close up photo URL into a new window, I now know why I didn't look into this ink in the past.  It's basically orange, and I have yet to find an orange ink I can stand, with the possible exception of Diamine Terracotta.  

But glad to see this thread resurrected, if for no other reason than to save myself some money.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."