Show Me Your Ink Book!

melissa59

I was prompted to post this topic after seeing amberleadavis wonderfully colorful pages in this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/222422-i-want-this-kind-of-red

I want to see how others are tracking the inks they own and/or sample.

Are your pages filled with decorative doodles using multiple pen nibs?

Are your pages more of a scientific documentation on how the act reacted to water, bleach, sunlight?

Do you have a form that you fill out for each ink?

Do you have a notebook for each color family?

Does your book show your ink on multiple paper types?

What things so you always note about the inks you try?

Telling me about your ink book methods is okay, too, but I'd much rather SEE your pages.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• melissa59

• Papermint

• Sailor Kenshin

I don't have a ink book solely for that purpose, but in my current journal I note the ink, nib, and pen I am using in the margin for future reference. I also keep a short index of the names of each ink and a swab on tha last page of the notebook.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

I have a three part system:

I keep an ink book showing how the inks look in each pen:

fpn_1339137111__ink_book.jpg

I also have a binder of sample sheets for each ink. These are typically done using the same pen so that I can compare behavior, and I also use the pages for writing practice.

fpn_1339137145__ink_sheet.jpg

And finally, I keep a database with a list of all of the inks I have in bottles or sample vials. I use this for inventory control and to track behavior characteristics such as flow, shading, lubrication, ease of cleaning, and water resistance.

Hello.

I use my notebook.

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2633/img4078j.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1257/img4357ea.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5483/img4355xz.jpg

I have a three part system:

I keep an ink book showing how the inks look in each pen:

I also have a binder of sample sheets for each ink. These are typically done using the same pen so that I can compare behavior, and I also use the pages for writing practice.

And finally, I keep a database with a list of all of the inks I have in bottles or sample vials. I use this for inventory control and to track behavior characteristics such as flow, shading, lubrication, ease of cleaning, and water resistance.

WOW, you have me beat hands down for being detailed and organized. It broke my heart though to see all that luscious red-brown used in your lovely alphabet display--knowing they discontinued it.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I LOVE these examples!

I remember seeing some reviews that Jimmy James has done. I wonder if he tucks those pages in a notebook, or if they are just photographed, posted and tossed? Also, I posted this link in another thread, but it's a gal who tests inks for light fastness: http://hudsonvalleysketches.blogspot.com/search/label/lightfastness%20tests

I still haven't figured out how I want to do mine. At least having an ink notebook will give me a reason to use my pretty ink samples.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Inkwritingman, what type of notebook is that? What size?

It looks quite handy.

I have a composition book from Sustainable Earth by Staples from one of the better batches of paper. I write about a paragraph with each pen and ink combination, I leave the back of each page blank. Almost all inks are tested in a X450 with a stock nib before being put in anything else.

Here's a sample page.

2012-06-08%252018.18.19.jpg

Telling me about your ink book methods is okay, too, but I'd much rather SEE your pages.

I've already done this ;) here (click)

so much to read and so tittle time

I was prompted to post this topic after seeing amberleadavis wonderfully colorful pages in this thread: http://www.fountainp...his-kind-of-red

I want to see how others are tracking the inks they own and/or sample.

Are your pages filled with decorative doodles using multiple pen nibs?

Are your pages more of a scientific documentation on how the act reacted to water, bleach, sunlight?

Do you have a form that you fill out for each ink?

Do you have a notebook for each color family?

Does your book show your ink on multiple paper types?

What things so you always note about the inks you try?

THANK YOU!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

These are my "not intended for public scrutiny" ink books.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h346/diokan/inkbook.jpg

I'm nowhere near that organized! Very nice to see all the purdy pages.

Just recently I started a new heading type on my pen/ink reviews in an attempt to be a little less of a random-monkey-scribbler with my records.

A lot of comparisons appear on my blogspot, but here's one of the latest:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5342/7370291350_332fc3b96d_b.jpg

And an earlier example, a little different because it's a photo, not a scan:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6168/6240926527_086e41545d_b.jpg

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

And now from the sublime to the ridiculous. I'm sharing the following embarrassing messes solely to illustrate that lousy penmanship and total absence of artistic and creative sensibility should not deter you from creating an ink journal. :D

I use Rhodia side-staplebound notebooks, 1 ink per sheet, using the facing page solely if I run out of room on the main sheet or if I want to show mixtures and tints (as with MB Irish Green below). I start out with a swab plus some scribbling with a dip nib or glass pen. Over time, when I use the ink in a different pen or nib, I add a few sentences. No water, bleach, sunlight, etc.

In each notebook, I keep a running table of contents with page numbers. So far I have 3 notebooks that contain a total of 110 inks, so to tie it all together I have an Excel worksheet with columns for ink brand, ink name, color group, book number, and page number. With a simple sort, I can locate all the blues, for example, or all the inks from a particular brand.

Unsightly yet highly organized. That's me. :roflmho:

fpn_1339890550__dancientcopper.jpg

fpn_1339890594__irokosumosu.jpg

fpn_1339890618__mbirishgreen.jpg

fpn_1339890640__toc.jpg

Remember, the most important factor for an inkbook is if it makes sense to you! For the rest of us, it is a vicarious pleasure. rolleyes.gif

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY