Let's Declare A National Fountain Pen Day

metaphora

I just found out that June 10 is Ballpoint Pen Day, pencils get love on March 30, and even handwriting gets its own day on January 23! How is it possible that there is no National Fountain Pen Day?!!? We need to fix this. And soon. It might be hard to get Congress on board, but there's nothing stopping us from picking a day and declaring it ours. We can even make t-shirts!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• melissa59

• N2theBreach

• Earthdawn

• Scrawler

I have 364 fountain pen days. The other day is the day when I don't write. ;-)

June 10 Ballpoint Pen Day? You're kidding, right?

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Fountain Pens definitely deserve a day but imagine if this caught on: FPD (Fountain Pen Day) goes viral and gazillions of people start wanting fountain pens. :gaah: Aaaackk! :gaah: Imagine what it would do to the prices. :bawl:

A vote for anonymity is a vote for cheap vintage pens on Ebay.

:thumbup:

:bunny01: I'm jbb and I support this message. :bunny01:

Edited by jbb

So we keep it quiet like to avoid a rush on our pens, and November 4th sounds like a great day. Except that we have to wait until then.

the pen is the window into the writer's soul

www.spinningtrees.webuda.com

Ooooh, this is why I posted on this board, because I figured one of y'all would have a good date to suggest! November 4 works for me!

And jbb, you make a good point but imagine if FPs caught on and the market experienced a giant surge in demand... all those lovely LE and impossible to find pens and inks might get reissued to fill the supply gap. Nibmeistering would be the new hot career, there'd be fountain pen shows EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND!!! Pen stores would open on every block and drive prices down in order to compete with each other. You could stroll down your street on your lunch break to see what latest and greatest inks had been imported from all over the world, and because the market would be so hot, there would be something new to look at every single day!!!!!

So we keep it quiet like to avoid a rush on our pens, and November 4th sounds like a great day. Except that we have to wait until then.

We could celebrate June 10th as:Ballpoint Pen Day -- Not :headsmack:

...Ooooh, this is why I posted on this board, because I figured one of y'all would have a good date to suggest! November 4 works for me!

And jbb, you make a good point but imagine if FPs caught on and the market experienced a giant surge in demand... all those lovely LE and impossible to find pens and inks might get reissued to fill the supply gap. Nibmeistering would be the new hot career, there'd be fountain pen shows EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND!!! Pen stores would open on every block and drive prices down in order to compete with each other. You could stroll down your street on your lunch break to see what latest and greatest inks had been imported from all over the world, and because the market would be so hot, there would be something new to look at every single day!!!!!

Somebodies glass is half full! Excellent points metaphora. I like November 4th too. :thumbup:

C'mon you Americans! :doh: how about the rest of us? Why not go for INTERNATIONAL fountain pen day! :clap1:

4 November sounds good :thumbup:

C'mon you Americans! :doh: how about the rest of us? Why not go for INTERNATIONAL fountain pen day! :clap1:

That would conflict with the Mischievous Night. As far as I can tell July 3rd does not conflict with anything important.

That would conflict with the Mischievous Night. As far as I can tell July 3rd does not conflict with anything important.

July 3rd is:

Christian Feast Day

Myanmar Women's Day

Emancipation Day (for the United States Virgin Islands)

Minsk Independence Day

-and-

The start of the Dog Days according to The Old Farmer's Almanac but not according to established meaning in most European cultures.

My point is, if you're looking international, you won't find a free day. Ever.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this is a great idea to encourage fountain pen use. November 4 is as good a date as any; just in time to promote pens for pre-Christmas sales - shops would love it. Or how about a date in September, a couple of weeks into of the school year to raise interest and awareness amongst future users?

The only thing needed for the day to become established is to raise sufficient interest. If the manufacturers get behind it it will take off - it needs nothing more 'official' than that. Contact manufacturers (the major ones, and smaller ones too) so they can put together promotions. Same for pen shops. And ink companies.

Anyone out there in FPN-land know anything about marketing or have any connections in the industry? National Fountain Pen day won't just happen - it would be down to us to make it happen. I'm sure we would all like to see it, but at the end of the day it will need us to set the ball rolling.

Sure. November 4th does seem like a good, not-too-arbitrary date. What other dates are important in FP development history that aren't brand-biased?

Robert.

I am here to advocate for the International Fountain Pen Day, November the 4th.

A Fountain Pen is never just a Fountain Pen.

I am here to advocate for the International Fountain Pen Day, November the 4th.

here here!

:cloud9: Another fan of this idea here! SPECIALLY as november is my birthday month! Love it!

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

We could make it February 29, then the pen craze would only happen once every four years. :-)

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."

Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

Nov. 4th has the advantage of being somewhat climate neutral. It'll be late spring in the southern hemisphere, and late autumn in the northern.

Most places won't be snowed in nor will they be sweltering so much they can't march in the annual International Fountain Pen Day parades! :roflmho:

Most places won't be snowed in nor will they be sweltering so much they can't march in the annual International Fountain Pen Day parades! :roflmho:

:ltcapd: And just in case the general world population doesnt think we're nerdy enough, the climate will permit us to dress up in giant foam rubber fountain pen suits. :eureka: I mean, they spend all year prepping costumes for the Rio Carnival...this forum could create a new section entitled 'Looking Good for FP Day' in which members go all-out to re-create their fave FPs! Would the FP Parade Queen be a Lady Sheaffer or what?! ;) :P

Laura Ingalls Wilder

We could make it February 29, then the pen craze would only happen once every four years. :-)

Oooh, careful, Melissa! You could get excommunicated for saying things like that! :ltcapd:

Laura Ingalls Wilder