Noodler's Liberty's Elysium

LostInBrittany

I'm loved this colour since the moment I watched the video on Goulet Pens site. It's the kind of blue I was looking for, a beautiful, vibrant, saturated true blue. I ordered a bottle the first day, and I'm really happy with the product.

Yes, I'm aware of the polemics about its waterproofness and bulletproofness. I wouldn't call this ink waterproof, personally, because some soaking can make the text difficult to read, but it's an ink that remains on paper even after extended immersion in water, so I can understand the logic behind the waterproof denomination it has been given. Anyways, if I want truly waterproofness, I have my Noodler's Polar Black or my Pharmacist's Iron Gall Ink. My Noodler"s LE is simply a very beautiful ink for me, at a very reasonable price.

The waterproofness was interesting. Lots of dye begins to flow as soon as a drop of water touches it, making if difficult to read. But no matter of much water, there is always enough ink on the paper to be able to read the text. In fact, it can be read better after an extended immersion (like the doodling and text in bottom right of the page) than after only some drops of water (like some words at the middle-right of the page, that were splashed with water during the immersion test.

Anyways, I can only say that I love this ink :)

As usual, I've posted a copy of this review on my blog.

Edited by LostInBrittany

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sham69

• NicolausPiscator

• inkstainedruth

• IndigoBOB

I just got a sample of this but haven't had a chance to try it in anything yet.

What a gorgeous color -- and I had no idea that it would shade. *Really* looking forward to trying it now -- I just have to clean something out.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I also ordered this right away, though a big part was my mistaken impression of waterproofness. I do not have checks and am not thinking about forgers trying to attack my signatures with bleach, so I chose this instead of Noodler's Blue (which I got a sample of) and Noodler's Eel, which I accidentally forgot to add to my cart, along with PR American Blue and whatever else may be out there in this range. All of them seem to get equally nasty when touched with a bit of incidental moisture, which is an occasional (and more frequent as the summer progresses) hazard for me...too bad.

I have other waterproof inks too, and so I will probably just use them instead in the short term. Problem is, I did not want to buy a bottle of ink that I would not use. The fact that I have waterproof inks does not change my feelings about Liberty's Elysium. If I were just starting out and looking for my first bottle of ink and wanted something waterproof, this would have been #1 on my list. I am a stupid impulse buyer and when I see that first layer or marketing, sometimes I black out only to discover an order confirmation from the Goulets a few minutes later. The whole thing could have been much clearer right away, but instead you had to dig a bit to discover that it wasn't actually really waterproof the way you think when one says "waterproof" (or "bulletproof", which again has a reasonable popular connotation even though its real definition is quite different). I'm not suggesting that was intentional; I think it was an unfortunate oversight.

I need to experiment with the ink and find what nibs I can get it to look good from. If I can find the right combination of a crisp fine line with apparent shading, it may be a daily non-waterproof ink for me. The color is indeed nice, so it may be a worthy choice if the behavior is on par with other blues in the same range. I have not had wonderful luck with it so far, but I have only tried it in one pen.

Thanks for the review!

Robert.

I need to experiment with the ink and find what nibs I can get it to look good from. If I can find the right combination of a crisp fine line with apparent shading, it may be a daily non-waterproof ink for me. The color is indeed nice, so it may be a worthy choice if the behavior is on par with other blues in the same range. I have not had wonderful luck with it so far, but I have only tried it in one pen.

Thanks for the review!

I put this in three pens right away when I got it (I'll post a review eventually), and it really does seem to work better in some pens than others. My Ahab lets it shade really well, but it writes too wet, and it bleeds and feathers on cheaper papers (but it is way more water-resistant). My Lamy Vista with a medium nib makes the color look way less saturated, and it seems to write a wider line than I think it should. I don't know why, but it writes a bit dry in that pen. In my Hero 330, though, I get a really good flow, color, some shading, and no bleeding. I don't know what you tried it in, but that Hero I use is a really fine point.

My Blog: Inkdependence!

Thanks for the review LostInBrittany. I love blue inks and I'm always looking to add another blue that has the potential for shading. I'm definitely going to give LE a try.

How is pen clean-up with LE? Does it wash out easily with water?

Rick M

fpn_1324576336__aurora-ovoide_65x49.jpg

• 6 months later...

I definitely wouldn't call that waterproof.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I just tried a sample of this, and love the color. I'm especially impressed with how much shading it offers. I can't wait to get a bottle and try it out with a few different nibs.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very nice looking blue. Blue ink is one of my favorites and I've always gravitated towards brighter blues than the dark/navy/blackish ones.

rhodia 80 gram paper has no chance with this ink to write back to back

not even clairefontaine can deal with this ink in a 1.1mm stub, the bleed through is truly ridiculous.

rhodia 80 gram paper has no chance with this ink to write back to back

not even clairefontaine can deal with this ink in a 1.1mm stub, the bleed through is truly ridiculous.

Something strange going on there. I have been using this ink for a month or so and seen no issues with it bleeding through the cheap Daiso and Typo papers I have been using.

But to be sure I just inked up a wet 1.1 stub I have with it and tested it on a Rhodia 16 pad (standard, not the heavier R pad). No feathering or show through. So I did all I could to MAKE it bleed (about 3 thick layers of ink,so much that the paper was soaked and ripping a bit. Even with that there is only a tiny bit spot of bleed through and next to no show through. The back of the page is more than useable.

What pen and nib are you using that this ink is unuseable on Rhodia and Clairefontaine (both of which are considered to be some of the most ink stable paper around)?

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

Something strange going on there. I have been using this ink for a month or so and seen no issues with it bleeding through the cheap Daiso and Typo papers I have been using.

But to be sure I just inked up a wet 1.1 stub I have with it and tested it on a Rhodia 16 pad (standard, not the heavier R pad). No feathering or show through. So I did all I could to MAKE it bleed (about 3 thick layers of ink,so much that the paper was soaked and ripping a bit. Even with that there is only a tiny bit spot of bleed through and next to no show through. The back of the page is more than useable.

What pen and nib are you using that this ink is unuseable on Rhodia and Clairefontaine (both of which are considered to be some of the most ink stable paper around)?

using a twsbi vac 700, also used a visconti homo sapiens, both are wet writers yes, however my staple blue Kon-peki and tsuki-yo do not show a hint of show through here let me take some photos ! i also find it strange, if only i had a dry stub to give it a go in

http://s27.postimg.org/4yc49btur/IMG_1473.jpg90 gram no.18 rhodia

http://s17.postimg.org/mr8mkxeof/IMG_1474.jpgclairefontaine

• 4 years later...

Has anyone experienced a buildup of some type of crud on the nibs of pens containing Noodler's LE? My Lamy Al-Star with a fine steel nib has a ton of chunky stuff on the tip and in between the tines...

What's that chunky crud? Is it really bad? Maybe there's ink in the feed that makes its way out to the nib and dries up causing this crud.

I find that this is an ink that spreads a bit relative to many other inks. It may not be noticeable on broader nibs, but it can turn a Fine to a Medium Fine or even a Medium. I have confirmed this on a number of papers, including Rhodia plain and Rhodia Premium.

However, if you get it into a finer nibbed pen, that has just the right degree of wetness, you get a lovely, intense, darker blue that shades with enthusiasm.

However, in a slightly wider nib that is a bit drier, it can come out as a non-shading sky blue.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching