New Nakaya Model

rhk

If you want to go all out Saints or just NOLA, why not get a black one and have someone like Ernest Shin put in a Fleur de lis in gold maki-e. :)

BRILLIANT!

What a good idea!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Siv

• mongrelnomad

• Lady Spencerian

It's a gorgeous model, combining my two favorites: Piccolo and Desk Pen.

Can't order one, though. Still waiting for the Long Piccolo I ordered way back in August....

The Nakaya Shield is strong.

:crybaby: Mine is about to fall into smithereens! I am going to get this one this year - the only one to buy, not a difficult task for I have reduced my spending on pens. But waiting and waiting has only produced more desire to buy it and an increase in the price. I don't want it in Piccolo, so maybe this new model....

I already wrote an email to nibs.com.

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/PiccoloHousogeShu_Capped.jpg

I was thinking the black and gold (hehe, Saints fan here) but it is too busy and loud!

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/Piccolo/Piccolo-Housoge-Black-Gold-Capped.jpg

But then, I like it! :gaah:.... definitely cannot/will not do both!

There are other options than the piccolo in Housoge. Have you perused the Nakaya website? If you scroll down, you'll see that there are various other possibilities; including that of only partial coverage of the barrel and cap in housoge (making it less busy). Such partial coverage should lend itself well to the Naka-ai, thus removing the challenge of tapering the motif to the end of the barrel. Any model on the Nakaya website can be ordered via CFP. Something to think about before you order an 'almost what I want' pen.

Well, I noticed they changed the format of their website (about time!!!) and I started to venture into it. Nope, not really do I like the ones with the motif off the barrel. Thanks for I could get a good idea.

If you want to go all out Saints or just NOLA, why not get a black one and have someone like Ernest Shin put in a Fleur de lis in gold maki-e. :)

BRILLIANT!

What a good idea!

Would not be a single Fleur de lis but multiple and tiny, substituting the arabesque motif....would it make the price higher?? Most likely..but an idea to consider, definitely! ...In the meantime the Chinkoku Shu "Rice"... as Ethernautrix suggested.. ...... no vampire smileys?

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Naka-ai is scheduled to arrive in early September (barring customs difficulties). As it turns out, I am expecting one of these beautiful pens (aka tamenuri, cigar). Who else ordered one? What finish?

At 5-3/4" length... I think CFP (nibs.com) and Nakaya have hit upon the perfect length. I can hardly wait to find out for certain. Oh boy! Oh boy, oh boy!

I mean, I find the Piccolos very comfortable. I think my first Piccolo felt a tad short, but it was still comfortable to write with and then without realizing it, I stopped noticing the length. But others who have hesitated on the Piccolo because of its length might see the Naka-ai as removing the last obstacle to deciding on a Nakaya. Me, I can hardly wait to have the Naka-ai in my hand, to see for myself.

etherX in To Miasto

It's a gorgeous model, combining my two favorites: Piccolo and Desk Pen.

Can't order one, though. Still waiting for the Long Piccolo I ordered way back in August....

The Nakaya Shield is strong.

I'm still waiting for the Long Piccolo, sooooo I bought three non-Nakaya pens this week. So far, the TWSBI Micarta (EF) arrived (yesterday) and the Franklin-Christoph #65 (F) arrived (today -- unexpectedly fast!). If the white Pelikan 205 (M) shows up tomorrow (from the Goulets), I'll be even more beside myself. Yes, there is a chink (or a crack) in the Nakaya Shield, but I guess the secret is spending less than the cost of a Piccolo. Anyway, I thought I would have the Long Piccolo by now and the Nakaya Shield would have been deactivated, and how am I supposed to resist the Micarta and the 65?! (I did resist the Micarta for a good long while. I was waiting only for the 65, based on the F-C Tester pens, to be produced so I could order one, then I forgot, but FP Geeks reminded me, so BOOM! Got one.)

The Naka-ai is scheduled to arrive in early September (barring customs difficulties). As it turns out, I am expecting one of these beautiful pens (aka tamenuri, cigar). Who else ordered one? What finish?

Sounds like the Nakaya Shield is battered, beaten, and loopholed :roflmho:

Congrats, Ether. I'll look forward to the report on the Naka-ai (with photos, of course). Who knows, maybe your wayward Long Piccolo will show up as well.

Nakaya Naka-ai ( :rolleyes: imagined in aka tamenuri -- writer for moi), and a design mindful of the Buddhist middle way, a design which of course inflames great desire within!

Life's gentle ironies and fate's sense of humor, and this Buddhist is getting in line. :thumbup:

Sounds like the Nakaya Shield is battered, beaten, and loopholed :roflmho:

Congrats, Ether. I'll look forward to the report on the Naka-ai (with photos, of course). Who knows, maybe your wayward Long Piccolo will show up as well.

*Shakes fist at Nakaya* Yells, "NAKAYAAAAAAAAA!"

Ha ha ha, but I love Nakaya. How can I resist Nakaya?!

Thanks, geoduc. I'm looking forward to it, too. (Smiles)

As for the Long Piccolo, I'm half-expecting it to show up looking like a shipwreck, ha ha ha. I shouldn't joke, but I have to.

etherX in To Miasto

Nakaya Naka-ai ( :rolleyes: imagined in aka tamenuri -- writer for moi), and a design mindful of the Buddhist middle way, a design which of course inflames great desire within!

Life's gentle ironies and fate's sense of humor, and this Buddhist is getting in line. :thumbup:

Desire is natural. Attachment to desire... avoiding that is the trick. Nice to have ample practice. Hee!

etherX in To Miasto

I am very excited about the Naka-ai! It looks like a combination of the best features of the Desk Pen and the Piccolo, with maybe a little Neo Standard thrown in. Such a nice design! But I'm waiting to see photos. I'm torn between aka-tame and heki-tame. And I'm torn between cigar (clipless) and writer (clip). I do know which nib size (BB stub). Right now I'm leaning toward heki-tame with a clip. As soon as I can decide on color and the clip issue, I'm going to order.

I just placed my order for a Nakaya Naka-ai cigar in kuro-tamenuri with a fine monotone nib. I think color was the hardest decision I had to make. But the fact that I was told the kuro-tamenuri pens will be arriving before the heki-tamenuri ones pushed me over the top. I'll just have to figure out a future Nakaya to buy in heki-tamenuri!

reprieve - I hear you. Deciding on the color, clip or no clip... so many decisions, which is why it's hard to have only one Nakaya. Complicating the matter, if you wanted to order a custom, is you could order an araishu tamenuri which is brown over red (I saw this... where did I see a picture of this? It was Nakaya. Ricky's book! Ricky's copy of Andreas Lambrous's book (not sure of spelling, the name).), which, if you like that deep, rich brown color -- oi, stop me now!

Heki tamenuri is one of my favorite finishes, though. Who am I kidding? I can't have a favorite Nakaya color. I like too many of them to have a favorite.

Trinity Tam - The kuro tamenuri is beautiful. Another favorite (see above) (hee).

etherX in To Miasto

Oof. Nakaya. Nakayas. Nakay-ot as we'd say here.

Bane of my pen life.

Ever since Lundolt-Arbenz I can't get them out of my head. Not just the pens, but the nibs too. To the extent that I think that tester tray held probably 7 of my 10 favourite nibs in it...

So... my 'budget' Piccolo with the ho-hum soft F's heading up to California to get fitted with a Mottishaw-tweaked elastic B stub. But... can I stop there? I may have something on order... but can I wait that long? I used to love other companies, but now I can't think about anything but one tiny little cottage-producer (how Japanese!) with a lead-time bordering on the torturous...

Nakaya shield. Nope. Nakaya crack-cocaine more like....

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Bane of my pen life.

Ever since Lundolt-Arbenz I can't get them out of my head. Not just the pens, but the nibs too. To the extent that I think that tester tray held probably 7 of my 10 favourite nibs in it...

So... my 'budget' Piccolo with the ho-hum elastic F's heading up to California to get fitted with a Mottishaw-tweaked elastic B stub. But... can I stop there? I may have something on order... but can I wait that long? I used to love other companies, but now I can't think about anything but one tiny little cottage-producer (how Japanese!) with a lead-time bordering on the torturous...

Oh, mongrelnomad... bane is just "enab" spelt backwards!

Would like to know how the Hakase compares to the Nakayas... if there's a comparison.

etherX in To Miasto

Bane of my pen life.

So... my 'budget' Piccolo with the ho-hum elastic F's heading up to California to get fitted with a Mottishaw-tweaked elastic B stub. But... can I stop there? I may have something on order... but can I wait that long? I used to love other companies, but now I can't think about anything but one tiny little cottage-producer (how Japanese!) with a lead-time bordering on the torturous...

OK, so you almost have your first Nakaya safely home, and you are lusting after more. That is perfectly normal. The acquisition of several Nakayas in quick succession is not uncommon. "can I wait that long?" you ask. Yes, you can. Eager anticipation is also part of the Nakaya experience. My advice to you is to savor each step of the journey. Each of the pens (even different models fitted with the same tip) has its own personality and characteristics. It is important to take the time to enjoy each pen properly, before the next one arrives. At some point (perhaps three to four pens into a Nakaya collection) you will discover that you have a favorite - and that will lead to no small amount of guilt ("Why don't I love the others as much?"). That discomfort is a really good excuse to order another one; that you may, or may not, love more. ("Perhaps I missed something, maybe I'd like 'insert model name here' even better!") When this happens it is useful to remind yourself that you can make any one of your Nakayas 'new' again by having the nib changed or modified.

Yes, it is an addiction - but a good deal less harmful than a crack habit - and probably less expensive in the long run. As for me, I'm still green with envy that you got to handle all those different pens and nibs! (swoon)

Nakaya! Nakaya!

Would like to know how the Hakase compares to the Nakayas... if there's a comparison.

We can do that comparison during the Pen Posse.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Since there is so much love for the Naka-ai I'm going to provide some balance and say that I really don't like it. The fact that it's so fat at one end and so slim at the other seems odd.

I have two dream Nakaya, the long Piccolo (of which I have one in Kikyo) and a Decapod twist (on my wishlist). Both these pens have balance... IMHO...

OK? :P

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Okay, Siv. And I will confess that the Naka-ai looks to me like okra. Delicious... delicious okra! Ha ha ha! MmmmmOkraaaaaaaah.

I can hardly wait to see it with my hands. I think the length is perfect... even though all my Nakayas feel perfect in my hand, I think this 5-3/4" length will be especially perfect.

But you're right. There needs to be balance (a balance of views), and I thank you for providing some. (Have you seen my Desk Pen? Hah? Haaah? Fat at one end, thin at the other? Like a baton. Like a magic wand.)

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Lisa, please don't bring Okra into the equation as it's one of my favourite foods (fried in sambal preferably). However, what is right for the stomach may not be right for the hand ;)

I'll be completely frank here and say that I think Nakaya were a little lazy with this pen. The decapod is a unique item and Nakaya showed their creativity by making the twist. I feel the same way about the titanium piccolo - something original. The ai feels like a cop-out, a "franken-nakaya" in my eyes. Combine two already established pens without any effort.

Please don't think me a Nakaya basher, I love them and have owned 5 over the years, one of which is a pen that will travel with me to the grave!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Since there is so much love for the Naka-ai I'm going to provide some balance and say that I really don't like it. The fact that it's so fat at one end and so slim at the other seems odd.

I have two dream Nakaya, the long Piccolo (of which I have one in Kikyo) and a Decapod twist (on my wishlist). Both these pens have balance... IMHO...

OK? :P

Don't worry Siv, you're not alone. I like the look of the Naka-ai uncapped, but with the cap on it looks unbalanced to me. At least it does in photographs. I'd like to see one in person before forming a final opinion.

Please don't think me a Nakaya basher, I love them and have owned 5 over the years, one of which is a pen that will travel with me to the grave!

Not at all, Siv. I know you like Nakaya and that it's only this model that you don't like.

I'm excited that it combines my two favorite models -- the Piccolo and the Desk Pen -- but I don't know if it will supplant either as my favorite.

I'll know more when it is in my hands. Hee! (I can't help it; I'm excited about it. Ha ha ha!)

Rest assured, I didn't take offense.

It's pens. It's a Nakaya, but it's still pens.

etherX in To Miasto