Diamine Meadow

DanielCoffey

INK : DIAMINE MEADOW

PAPER : RHODIA #16 A5 white lined

PEN : Onoto Magna 261 Medium nib tweaked for wet flow by John Sorowka (Oxonian).

Scanner : IT8-calibrated Epson V600 flatbed

Colour Space : Adobe RGB

Matte : 50% grey and 100% white

Post-process : Unsharp Mask

Diamine Meadow is a moderately saturated mid-green with lovely shading potential...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewMeadow.jpg

Here is a close-up of the swab...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewMeadowSwab.jpg

And a close-up of the shading. Shading with this ink is high, although the flow is high too...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewMeadowShade.jpg

As expected, this ink is not really water resistant but then Diamine never said it was. While the grid can still be seen, it would not be practical to call this water-resistant. On a kitchen paper chromatography test there is a clear dark blue in the centre that does not move with the water while the yellow, light green and light blue are more mobile. If you seriously dunk writing in this ink you will *just* be able to see what you wrote in a light blue...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewMeadowWater.jpg

DRYING TIMES : The writing tests above were done in a VERY wet medium nib that had just been cleaned. Drying times on Xerox 90gsm were in the order of 10s. Rhodia and G Lalo Vergé dried around 30s and Clairefontaine Triomphe took a good 45s.

SMEARING : None observed.

BLEEDTHROUGH : Some bleed through may be expected on copy papers with wet or fat nibs. I would not expect bleeding on dry or fine nibs or when the ink is used on a good quality paper. Given the wet nib I used above, I recorded the following... Xerox 90gsm had moderate bleed through and some feathering. Rhodia had no bleed through and no feathering. Clairefontaine Triomphe had no bleed through or feathering. G Lalo Vergé had no bleed through or feathering.

FLOW AND LUBRICATION : Flow for this ink seems to be high. I suspect even a dry fine nib will put down a very good line. Lubrication was moderate and the ink seemed "thin". When I lifted the nib, the wet ink flowed very rapidly back up the stroke slightly further than expected.

CLEANING : The ink did not stick to the insides of the converter and was easy to clean. A bulb syringe will be useful here. There was no staining observed.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanielCoffey

• MyDarnSnakeLegs

• pen2paper

• inkstainedruth

Nice review! I had this in a Wing Sung 233, and I really liked the color it put down. The problem I had with it is that I left the pen unattended in my box for about a week, and this happened:

funk+crop.jpg

It cleaned out just fine (think), but that is some weird funk. I don't think I've seen an ink do that to me before.

My Blog: Inkdependence!

That is residue left over when the water in an ink evaporates from a cap with the safety breather hole. It is more common with orange inks too.

Was the Diamine Meadow the 1st ink ever in this pen?

Is it possible that the Diamine mixed with the previous ink?

Very fluid type ink, which seeped out during contained storage?

edited to note answered below.

Thanks!

Btw, holding the new Lamy Apple Green up to the review = perfect match - like that shading too.

Edited by pen2paper

It should rinse out easily... the orange inks certainly did.

This was the second inking on this pen. Previously, it was inked with Noodler's Dark Matter for a couple of months. I didn't have any funk-residue on that ink, but it's a good deal thicker than Meadow.

I would bet that it was just very fluid and it seeped out into the nib while it was stored. It wasn't anything fungal, and it never did that while it was in regular use. I think I may have left the cap not-quite-on when I put it away the last time. This pen needs a little more force to close than my others, and it's totally possible that I didn't seal it well. I blame myself more than the ink, really.

I liked the color and performance of this ink, but don't leave it exposed to air for a week or more. :headsmack:

It should rinse out easily... the orange inks certainly did.

Yep. It rinsed out easily. I certainly don't think you'll have issues in a Lamy.

I will be doing Apple Glory next which should be a bit brighter than this one.

Daniel... Another succinct 'all your need to know' review.....Thanks..... I am really enjoying Meadow in my Onoto Magna 261 wet flow B nib. Meadow is currently in a three fight with Diamine's Apple Glory and Ultra for my current 'green ink' top spot; this is a decision will likely go to the wire but I foresee first equal designations going to these three! Thanks again for the review.... Falcon

Nice review. This is perhaps a bit too bright a green for me, but I appreciate the detail and good close-up of a paragraph of writing.

How does it compare with Diamine Kelly Green? I liked the color of that in the scans in reviews I saw, but found that in my pens it was a bit too light (and wasn't, as a result, overly legible).

Which is of course the advantage of getting samples rather than full bottles... (I'm trying a sample of PR Spearmint next).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I don't have Kelly Green, but I would say that Meadow is totally legible. Here's a picture of it in some rough notes that I was making for part of a class I'm writing right now. (I don't remember what the blue is, but it might be Asa-gao.) (Sorry to pic-up your thread, Daniel, but I happen to have some of them around, but not enough for my own review right now. I hope you don't mind.)

IMG_7915.JPG

Four colours on that one page? Counting both sides...

Ruth, if you wanted a darker green you could try Diamine Green/Black too... or you could experiment with blending.

Four colours on that one page? Counting both sides...

Heh, it's actually five different colors. I was using Asa-gao (I think) I take it back: that blue is Tsuki-yo, Meadow in the middle, the word "Compatibilism" is in Hunter Green, and on the other side I have a note in Dark Matter and then I struck it and replaced it with another idea in Black Swan in English Roses.

There are a lot of pens on my desk right now. :blush:

Oh, and I don't know what the blue splotches are. I must have been messily filling a pen or something.

Edited by MyDarnSnakeLegs

Nice review! I had this in a Wing Sung 233, and I really liked the color it put down. The problem I had with it is that I left the pen unattended in my box for about a week, and this happened:

funk+crop.jpg

It cleaned out just fine (think), but that is some weird funk. I don't think I've seen an ink do that to me before.

I can confirm this issue twofold

Happens with my Platinum 3776 UEF Century, and Pilot VP. Anyone that knows these pens should know they are as airtight as they come. On the platinum nib I can actually see it congealing in the slit. It still writes, just gets seriously gunky.

Visit my blog Pentorium!

I have had my Onoto Magna 261 inked for 24 hours and the nib and feed are spotless. The Onoto is a sealed, threaded cap and I have had no trouble with deposits or evaporation in any of my 30 or so Diamine colours (not even Pumpkin).

I suggest you report it to Diamine if it is that bad and ask for an opinion from them.

Now, if anyone else has Diamine Meadow crud problems from some sort of evaporation, may I suggest we open another thread for it so we can discuss it there.

I have had my Onoto Magna 261 inked for 24 hours and the nib and feed are spotless. The Onoto is a sealed, threaded cap and I have had no trouble with deposits or evaporation in any of my 30 or so Diamine colours (not even Pumpkin).

I suggest you report it to Diamine if it is that bad and ask for an opinion from them.

Now, if anyone else has Diamine Meadow crud problems from some sort of evaporation, may I suggest we open another thread for it so we can discuss it there.

Other than the issues described, it's a lovely ink. A true green, in my own words, compared to other so called "greens". I'm looking at you, Diamine Dark Green!

Visit my blog Pentorium!