Lamy Safari Colours

macthemaths

Hello,

new on the block here. Just wanted to add to the color collecting that at the main dept store here in Stockholm they sell what seems to be a custom made Safari in glossy blue plastic with yellow clips, which happens to be the colors of the Swedish flag. Probably ordered by that store because of the amount of tourists they receive.

On a side-note they also have a specially made Noodler's Stockholm Blue with a drawing of the Royal Castle on the sticker. Don't use much Noodler's so I can't tell if this blue is the same as anything in the ordinary line-up, but it's quite dark and deep.

cheers/Mattias

Power to the peaceful (Michael Franti)

Pouch Partners:

Pilot VP Kasuri (m) & Sailor Red Brown

Pelikan M415 (B) & Pelikan Black Brown mix

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hans-Peter Ording

• bphollin

• menick

• Uffuffa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wanted to add to the color collecting that at the main dept store here in Stockholm they sell what seems to be a custom made Safari in glossy blue plastic with yellow clips, which happens to be the colors of the Swedish flag. Probably ordered by that store because of the amount of tourists they receive.

Hello Mattias,

thank you very much for this information. I read about that pen before, nice to see its existence confirmed. Do you have a photo of that pen?

Regards

Hans-Peter

Hello Hans-Peter,

I'm sorry but I have no picture yet. I'm thinking of buying one (already have the Al-Star ocean blue, but...) and if I do I promise to post a picture. Do you have, or anyone else, have any experience from using the Safari italic nib and if so what do you think?

all the best/Mattias

Pouch Partners:

Do you have, or anyone else, have any experience from using the Safari italic nib and if so what do you think?

These nibs are of course a little picky about the writing position (don't rotate the pen), but they are not scratchy.

There are several reviews and comments on this forum. If you do a search you will probably find more, but here are some examples:

Lamy 1.1 italic nib

Lamy Al-Star with 1.1 italic nib

Lamy Safari with italic nib

I use a Lamy 0.8 mm italic nib that I reground myself from one of Lamy's 1.5 nibs. I like the way it writes. You can find my posting and a little writing sample here:

I modified a nib, too!

I'm looking forward to your photo.

Regards

Hans-Peter

I love my white Safaris (I bought two), they have a very jaunty Lord Vader's Stormtrooper look about them. :D

My son has a white Safari for just such reason. My sister bought it for him for his birthday last year.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

I love my white Safaris (I bought two), they have a very jaunty Lord Vader's Stormtrooper look about them. :D

My son has a white Safari for just such reason. My sister bought it for him for his birthday last year.

I think sonia_simone was referring to the older version with black clip and nib, but the one issued last year is pretty cool, too. I just got one for myself before they disappear :)

I've got one of those "swedish-flag" Safaris that I traded for with a guy in Sweden. I'll take a photo tonight.

Skip

Just wanted to add to the color collecting that at the main dept store here in Stockholm they sell what seems to be a custom made Safari in glossy blue plastic with yellow clips, which happens to be the colors of the Swedish flag. Probably ordered by that store because of the amount of tourists they receive.

thank you very much for this information. I read about that pen before, nice to see its existence confirmed. Do you have a photo of that pen?

Regards

Hans-Peter

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

Hello Hans-Peter,

I'm sorry but I have no picture yet. I'm thinking of buying one (already have the Al-Star ocean blue, but...) and if I do I promise to post a picture. Do you have, or anyone else, have any experience from using the Safari italic nib and if so what do you think?

all the best/Mattias

I like a lot my 1.5mm nib. Can't say I use it all the time, but on some occasion, it's lot's of fun!

And that yellow blue lamy... how much are they? Would you ship them abroad? I'd like one!

nick

For sale: nothing!

Looking for: money!

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

Hello Hans-Peter,

all the best/Mattias

Hi Mattias,

I use both a Safari and a Logo with 1.1 Italic nibs and Noodlers inks. They are my favourite pens. Inexpensive yet a smooth writing experience with wonderful line variation and shading. Enjoy!

Regards

Geoff V

Thanks for sharing your experiences and directions to previous threads regarding the Safari italic nibs. Seems like a safe choice in its class.

cheers/Mattias

Pouch Partners:

Time for another update.

Safari colours

1. Savanna Green (textured)*
  2. Terracotta Orange (textured)*
  3. White (Alpin)*
  4. Light gray (Griso)*
  5. Charcoal/black/dark gray/umber (newer models textured) (S2)
  6. Yellow
  7. Red (Hot)
  8. Dark blue (Sky)
  9. Blue with yellow clip (available in Sweden)
  10. Clear demonstrator with chrome clip (Vista)
  11. Orange with red clip (Flame, 2004, LE)*
  12. Light blue with red clip (Blue & Red, 2006, LE)*
  13. Glossy black with chrome clip (Black, 2007, now a regular model)
  14. Glossy white with chrome clip (White, 2007, LE)*
  15. Light green with chrome clip (Lime, 2008, LE)

* = discontinued

LE = limited edition

Single copies

1. Green
  2. Teal

I think this was the thread that lead me to FPN. I can't believe I have not checked it since.

Some additional notes on the variations...

1. The Alpin White was made in textured and smooth versions.

2. The Charcoal only came in textured, as far as I know. I have a Charcoal pen from 1980 which is textured. Anybody have a smooth Charcoal pen? (edit: I just saw early in the thread that somebody has a smooth Charcoal - cool!)

3. They definitely made a demonstrator (not the Vista). A friend of mine recalls seeing them sold at a major housewares/design store in Denmark in the 80's.

4. The bottom of the blind cap had no markings on the pens from 1980 and maybe 1981. From 81/82-89 the end of the pen is debossed with "W. Germany." All pens after 89 are marked "Germany."

5. Pens from 1980 and maybe 1981 came with push-bar type aeromatic converter. They were made in black and silver metal.

6. There are other custom colors out there. Lamy has made and I think will still make custom colors if ordered in large enough quantity. How about we try to order an FPN special? Burgundy? Terracotta remixed?

I love the Safari.

/Woody

Edited by haywoody

I think this was the thread that lead me to FPN. I can't believe I have not checked it since.

How about we try to order an FPN special? Burgundy? Terracotta remixed?

I love the Safari.

Me too! And either a Burgundy or Terracotta would be great! Count me in!

Doug

P.S. Can the clips be easily swapped out? Just wondering...

How about we try to order an FPN special? Burgundy? Terracotta remixed?

I love the Safari.

Me too! And either a Burgundy or Terracotta would be great! Count me in!

Doug

I would be in - especially for a Burgundy!

It's a simple but very much an at-your-own-risk procedure on the current design: the cap end, which secures the inner cap and clip, is a simple plug, and pops out when pressed (hard) from the inside. (I've used the back end of a chopstick.) What to do then is pretty evident, but a couple of tips might be to press the inner cap down before removing the clip, and to try to align the clip with the dents on the o-ring when replacing the plug.

There's a blog post in Japanese about it here, where you can see the parts involved. The author has recreated the original white model by transplanting black nib, clip, cap end, and middle ring from a regular model onto a 2007 LE white.

On much older models the cap end was an actual screw, and swopping clips thus much less of a hack.

The Blue and Yellow safari (Swedish special version) is a standard blue with a bright yellow clip (actually quite nice looking). I'll post a picture later today.

If anyone is interested, I do have two NoS... pm me.

P.,

Pennshoppen - quality pens, inks and paper

Pennshoppen - www.penshop.se

Reservoarpennor - Reservoarpennor.se

Bloggen - Pennshoppens blogg

On facebook and twitter as well @pennshoppen

I have not been a huge Lamy fan, but in my local pen store esterday, an orange one (Flame?) started yelling at me from the display case. I am really unable to stop matching inks with pen colour and I have been lamenting that I didn't have a red ink pen. To illustrate how ill I am, I couldn't buy a red pen to go with the red ink because it would be impossible to come up with a perfect match.

Anyway, the clip on my new shiny orange pen is red and there isn't enough surface area to clash with pretty much any red ink, so I am a happy wee camper. Actually, PR Orange Crush is darn near the same colour, so I could use that.

Happily scribbling,

Kath

Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

I have not been a huge Lamy fan, but in my local pen store esterday, an orange one (Flame?) started yelling at me from the display case.

Nice find. AFAIK, those are not easy to find new, since they were an LE and have been discontinued. At least, the usual on-line dealers don't have any.

The Blue and Yellow safari (Swedish special version) is a standard blue with a bright yellow clip (actually quite nice looking). I'll post a picture later today.

I'm telling myself that with the weak dollar and shipping from Sweden it will cut too much into my Lamy 2000 fund. So tempting.

~Brian

"Mostly I just kill time, and it dies hard." - Raymond Chandler (The Long Goodbye)

Speaking with the dept store that sells the Blue and Yellow Safari it seems it's a very limited version, only 200 pieces were ordered. Once sold out no more will be ordered. Anyway, for the FPN Archival Records I will try to post a pic this weekend unless Strand beats me to it :)

Pouch Partners:

P.,

Quick snapshot...

post-1211-1205448118_thumb.gif

Pennshoppen - quality pens, inks and paper

Pennshoppen - www.penshop.se

Reservoarpennor - Reservoarpennor.se

Bloggen - Pennshoppens blogg

On facebook and twitter as well @pennshoppen